Carl Edwards Takes Ford Engineers For a Wild Ride in the Taurus SHO

Mark B. Morrow

Awesome high-speed stability and control.

If the brakes could take it, it would be very interesting to see what its Nurburgring times would be, as well as the Explorer Sport's as well. Apparently an SRT-8 SUV got timed there; it was nothing stellar. :)

Awesome high-speed stability and control.

If the brakes could take it, it would be very interesting to see what its Nurburgring times would be, as well as the Explorer Sport's as well. Apparently an SRT-8 SUV got timed there; it was nothing stellar. :)

Or maybe put some brembos on it and compare it to the 5.0 S/C Falcon GT....

Perhaps a nice Brembo brake package first.... a car like that deserves much better brakes.

I thought they just did a brake upgrade to the SHO? Thought sure I read that somewhere.

I thought so too. Don't think they are Brembos, but I'm pretty sure it did get greatly improved brakes for '13.

They said the brakes were greatly improved - and then he nailed the brakes to prove it.

Maybe so but there's a big difference between one or two hard stops and constant competition styled braking,

that's where the Brembo package shines. I think it's justified as an option on the SHO, especially given the weight...

I thought so too. Don't think they are Brembos, but I'm pretty sure it did get greatly improved brakes for '13.

:yup:

Here are details from the Ford Media Site:

Taurus SHO brake system upgrades include a larger master cylinder, revised booster tuning for improved pedal feel, and larger front rotors with 19 percent more thermal mass and 67 percent more swept area to help brakes run cooler. Now vented, the rear disc brakes offer 53 percent more thermal mass.
Edited by aneekr

Maybe so but there's a big difference between one or two hard stops and constant competition styled braking,

that's where the Brembo package shines. I think it's justified as an option on the SHO, especially given the weight...

I agree. I was just responding to the "I thought they just did a brake upgrade" post........

I am definitely not the demographic for the car (don't care for the Taurus) or the driver (I think Nascar is boring), but those are really great videos. The engineers are about to drop bricks as he takes the curves. Awesome driving with some good information on the car.

Well done, Ford. Hilariously good stuff.

With the 2010-2012 SHO's, If you have the performance package you can disable it totally. So I would imagine that was the case.

Thanks, I thought that was the case as it's prety hard to get an AWD to drift at the best of times due to superior traction