2013 Escapes arrived

3 just came off the truck, one base 2.5, and one SE and SEL, both with the 1.6s...quick blat round the lot, the eco 1.6 will break loose off the line, feels peppy...once they are PDIed it will be freeway time. first impressions good, possibly styling could have been pushed more, and Kodiak Brown is interesting....hit me up with any questions....when i get time I will get answers. Cheers

• Like 1

I got an e-mail from my salesman with a VIN and an ETA of 6/21. Needless to say, I almost peed my pants with excitment. I ran the VIN through the window sticker search and etis.ford and it came up as a Ruby Red, SE and not a Ginger Ale, Titanium. CRAP, he's checking on the VIN.

I sat in a Platinum White Titanium model Tuesday (Prestige Ford in Garland, TX). As much as I Iiked the pictures over the past few months, I like it even better in real life. It looks very high-end, inside and out. A couple of minor gripes: the back seat is kind of tight with the front seats all the way back, and why can't they offer the power passenger seat?

The key fob (sp?) is very cool, and I love a factory remote-start option. The 19" wheels look great, and the automatic lift gate is a great idea. My wife thought the front looked too mini-van-like when she saw it at the Dallas Auto Show, but when she saw this one sitting next to a black Edge Limited (her previous favorite), she now likes the Escape better. Now we just need Prestige to agree to sell it at Z-plan price.

I sat in a Platinum White Titanium model Tuesday (Prestige Ford in Garland, TX). As much as I Iiked the pictures over the past few months, I like it even better in real life. It looks very high-end, inside and out. A couple of minor gripes: the back seat is kind of tight with the front seats all the way back, and why can't they offer the power passenger seat?

The key fob (sp?) is very cool, and I love a factory remote-start option. The 19" wheels look great, and the automatic lift gate is a great idea. My wife thought the front looked too mini-van-like when she saw it at the Dallas Auto Show, but when she saw this one sitting next to a black Edge Limited (her previous favorite), she now likes the Escape better. Now we just need Prestige to agree to sell it at Z-plan price.

next time you are in the back seat recline the back a little, the seat actually scoots backa couple of inches....

Here in Denver where imports rule - I have seen two already driving around the Denver Tech Center. Very nice colors - deep metallic blue and metallic red. In person, they stand out much more than i would have suspected from all the NisHonDaiOtaBaru imports that all look the same.

next time you are in the back seat recline the back a little, the seat actually scoots backa couple of inches....

You should keep all of them on the lot in this position to ward off complaints about back seat space. You can then demostrate that the seats can be moved forward to increase storage space as needed.

Here in Denver where imports rule - I have seen two already driving around the Denver Tech Center. Very nice colors - deep metallic blue and metallic red. In person, they stand out much more than i would have suspected from all the NisHonDaiOtaBaru imports that all look the same.

Really? Are you just referencing CUV's or all vehicles? I do agree imports rule the CUV market here in Denver Metro (with the exception of the per-2013 Escape which are all over the roads), and a few other segments. But would disagree that that imports rule the road in general around these parts. Ford has been the #1 seller of new vehicles in CO the past few years, with I believe Subaru taking #2 and Toyota #3 (it may be Toyota #2 & Subie #3, can't exactly remember off the top of my head). Personally though, I think a lot of the CUV market has been dominated by the imports because the domestics simply don't offer any advantage over the imports. GM & Chrysler products are horrible IMO, whether it be styling, quality or reliability. And while the Edge (and Lincoln sibling) and Explorer are nice vehicles, I really don't see them as any better than what many imports offer. As for the Flex, I actually think it's a wonderful vehicle, just too many owners scared away by it's styling. Oh and I know the Explorer and Flex are basically the same product in different wrapping, but I simply find the Flex to be the better product.

Edited by V8-X

You should keep all of them on the lot in this position to ward off complaints about back seat space. You can then demostrate that the seats can be moved forward to increase storage space as needed.

Hmmmmm....I complained a lot about back seat leg room of Focus, but I specifically sat in front and back seat of new Escape at NAIAS and thought back seat leg room was fine and every other which way. I'm 6 feet tall and the Escape deifnitely has more back seat room than Focus. Btw, according to AN, LAP production of Escape is about 1,500/week right now. Long way to go before it reaches maximum production. I imagine it will take another month or more to get prouction up to 3,000/week and another 4-6 weeks to get it up to 5,000+. MAP just passed 5,000/week after adding third shift.

quick update after a short BLAT with grades. Tri white SEL, 1.6 eco leather int. STYLING B, one area thats entirely subjective, I just feel personally they could have pushed the limit a tad more, its nice, then again I love the Flex so go figure. Interior A, great seats ( although the wrinkled stitching in the cloth base model I find perturbingly sub standard ) very comfy, and REALLY quiet when cruising, steering wheel could be a bit "fatter" IMO. Engine A-, fun, peppy but a tad gruff at higher RPMS, could be a little smoother when pushed, everyday driving though, on the money. Ride A+....firm but excellent compromise, Handling A, didnt PUSH it but the steering is beautifully weighted and theres no slop...did I mention I LOVED the weighting?......Allround a really solid effort, would probably give it an A- allup, and would be quite happy to own one....really curious if the 2.0 eco is a bullet, because this has ample, at least with just me in the vehicle....

quick update after a short BLAT with grades. Tri white SEL, 1.6 eco leather int. STYLING B, one area thats entirely subjective, I just feel personally they could have pushed the limit a tad more, its nice, then again I love the Flex so go figure. Interior A, great seats ( although the wrinkled stitching in the cloth base model I find perturbingly sub standard ) very comfy, and REALLY quiet when cruising, steering wheel could be a bit "fatter" IMO. Engine A-, fun, peppy but a tad gruff at higher RPMS, could be a little smoother when pushed, everyday driving though, on the money. Ride A+....firm but excellent compromise, Handling A, didnt PUSH it but the steering is beautifully weighted and theres no slop...did I mention I LOVED the weighting?......Allround a really solid effort, would probably give it an A- allup, and would be quite happy to own one....really curious if the 2.0 eco is a bullet, because this has ample, at least with just me in the vehicle....

Thanks Deanh,

what's your impression of 1.6 EB vs 2.5 base engine...do you think the 1.6's torque will convert a lot of 2.5 base sales into EB?

The 2013 Escape launch at LAP has really ramped up big time. AN reports that LAP made over 3,500 new Escapes last week and a total of 24,000 for the last 6 weeks or so. I was by Bill Brown Ford today and five new 2013 Escapes were going out to new owners and over 20 sitting on lot. In fact, Bill Brown now has more 2013 Escapes in stock than 2012. Saw at least 3 Escape S's listing for about $23,000 including Sync option. Another five or so had trailer package and all 2.0 EB's with AWD. Most popular model seems to be SE with EB 1.6. Not sure if you can get the trailer package with it and imagine weight limit would be 1,500 pounds or so.

Hm. Will have to keep an eye on 2012 prices once the 2013s start hitting the lots...

hurry up Sully, with the incentives and crazy lease programs NOW may be the time, they are moving pretty fast and inventories are depleting quickly...

Thanks Deanh,

what's your impression of 1.6 EB vs 2.5 base engine...do you think the 1.6's torque will convert a lot of 2.5 base sales into EB?

actually J i dont think they will cross shop, the 2.5 is the cheapy, I think the base is for the price concious.....

actually J i dont think they will cross shop, the 2.5 is the cheapy, I think the base is for the price concious.....

The pricing on the Escape is pretty interesting...seems like if you load up a lower model (SE, SEL) your better off moving up to a SEL from SE or Titanium from a loaded SEL...

The only reason to pay the extra $600 or so for an equally optioned SEL over a Titanium is to stay with the 1.6L and the slight mpg improvement.

I also noticed you can't get the grey interior on the Titanium. Only the black. Personally, I like the grey better.

Pretty gutsy to buy without a test drive. I waited until one showed up at my dealer before I placed my order.But In doing so,I'll have to wait that much longer so you guys with the cahoneys who ordered earlly get yours first.

Edited by boppergee

Pretty gutsy to buy without a test drive. I waited until one showed up at my dealer before I placed my order.But In doing so,I'll have to wait that much longer so you guys with the cahoneys who ordered earlly get yours first.

why exactly would he have to worry about anything?.....