The Siri button comes to all cars, except Ford.

The standard dock has been around since, crap when the first iPod came out...I know USB adapters (on phones) have changed 3-4 times in the same period, getting smaller.

The usb connector has changed but the interface specs have not AFAIK. This means that only the cable has to change, not the firmware/software.

It's still a usb connection regardless of the connector.

Because it's a digital music player, not a radio. Same reason my portable shower radio doesn't play mp3 files.

A CD player is a digital music player, but my old Sony Discman still had a radio. (I should say "has" because I still have it and it still works, although I don't use anymore)

A friend of mine plans to buy a new car next summer. She currently drives a Fusion with Sync (not MFT). She mentioned that she will be looking only at vehicles that have the Siri button. She likes the Fusion, but is not interested in a new one if it doesn't include the Siri button.

• Like 1

The standard dock has been around since, crap when the first iPod came out...I know USB adapters (on phones) have changed 3-4 times in the same period, getting smaller.

That's the irony of the whole deal; the original iPod had a non-proprietary connector--FireWire. The 30-pin dock connector didn't come around 'til the iPod Touch.

A friend of mine plans to buy a new car next summer. She currently drives a Fusion with Sync (not MFT). She mentioned that she will be looking only at vehicles that have the Siri button. She likes the Fusion, but is not interested in a new one if it doesn't include the Siri button.

If there are any cars next summer with the SIRI button.

Because Apple has never been *that* third party, right? Like say, the way they bought Siri and all of a sudden it stopped working on older iPhones?

I phrased it like that just for you ;)

And also, wean people off Google and replace it with what? Their own search engine?

I think it's the things besides basic web search that Apple's more interested in.

Finally, nothing you've said convinces me that voice command is anything other than cul-de-sac. A novelty item that is---at its absolute best---a slightly more error prone and slightly less time consuming way of performing certain unimportant tasks.

Meh. So don't use it.

See, and that's the whole craziness with Siri.

Apple doesn't like relying on outside suppliers, and yet, have they the ability to furnish useful content at the other end of generic Siri queries?

It's like, okay we bought Siri fairly cheap. Now how do we take advantage of the results Siri furnishes. Okay. How many people will we have to hire to do that. Okay, and how do we make money from that. Okay, how do we make sure we aren't ticking off our customers. Etc...

A larger software company like Microsoft could plug Bing into Siri, a smaller or less hidebound company would be content to outsource the search results to Google (or Bing). So where does Apple go? Do they really want to go down the rabbit-hole with Siri--and invest a significant amount of resources into a replicable technology (widely understood machine learning algorithms + voice recognition software) that in large part depends on the breadth of its established user base?

From another perspective this looks like the PowerPC vs. Intel thing. PowerPC chips were better---and then they weren't. And once they weren't they weren't going to catch up.