Ford Plans New F-150 with Aluminum body

The original WSJ article states that Ford is going to use steel frame. Alumnimum body panels, steering and suspension parts, and perhaps the cab safety cell. It's not something new or crazy. Some Fords already have aluminum hoods... The only thing that changed is that weight reduction on fullsize truck is now a design consideration, whereas before the new CAFE, it was an afterthought.

Did anyone actually read the article? :reading:

Yes, I read the article....

I asked the question to get the topic back on point., too many were going off on tangents...

The last gen Sport Trac had an aluminum hood and the entire outer bed with the exception of the tailgate was SMC. If they can figure out a way to lighten the F-150's frame without losing strength I don't see 700 lbs as being impossible.

The current F150 (and Expedition I think) has an Al hood, and the flair-side bed on F150's from '97-'08 (I think '08 was the last year for it) was made of SMC.

I believe when I had either the Mark8, or Mustang, the hood was plastic composite, or some other material that wasn't steel only because when I had sex on the hood and it snapped/cracked right on my back (luckily I was still clothed), try explaining that to the repair shop...

• 3 years later...

This seems too risky and expensive, especially if Aluminum isn't a stable commodity like steel.

I agree with that great automotive prognosticator BORG on this one, this is WAY too risky, no way Ford will EVER be able to deliver an aluminum F-150, let alone do it at a profit! Who are they kidding?

On a different topic, how were the first quarter earnings today ?

• Like 1

I agree with that great automotive prognosticator BORG on this one, this is WAY too risky, no way Ford will EVER be able to deliver an aluminum F-150, let alone do it at a profit! Who are they kidding?

On a different topic, how were the first quarter earnings today ?

hehehehehe

Time makes fools of us all.

I've been wrong often enough. I think we all have.

Well you thought I was being very pessimistic about this whole thing, but I was just playing devil's advocate.

Now look who's driving one of these aluminum beasts... Me. :)

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 1