2015 Mustang to get 330hp 2.3L Ecoboost?

Speaking with the UK’s Auto Express, Matthias Ton, head of Ford’s global performance car division, revealed that Dearborn-based automaker is developing a new 2.3L EcoBoost four-cylinder that will be used in the base model Mustang as well as the next-generation Focus RS. The four-cylinder is expected to replace the Mustang’s current 3.7L V6.

Thanks to Ford’s EcoBoost turbocharging technology, the four-cylinder will reportedly develop upwards of 330 horsepower. That would represent a 25 horsepower gain over the Mustang’s current V6, and the turbo four would undoubtedly trump the six-pot’s 280 lb-ft of torque.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2015-ford-mustang-to-swap-out-base-v6-for-330hp-four-cylinder.html

The current 2.0EB makes 240HP, so 276HP or so would be likely, maybe even close to 300HP. But 330HP, that's seems to be a little much. Based on current HP per liter, the rumored Nano 2.7EB V6 could make 330HP, that would be more realistic.

I dont doubt 330 from the 2.3 at all...in fact i called 350 a while ago....

I dont doubt 330 from the 2.3 at all...in fact i called 350 a while ago....

But at the same time, I though EB was all about saving money via good MPG...I'm sure a 2.3 I4 could do 300+ HP, but at the same time can it get good MPG # or still use regular gas?

If Dean is right and 330-350hp is in the ballpark, and the IRS and weight loss rumors are right, this could be one wicked machine. I'm guessing that an EB I4 will weigh less than the D37, so it should have a pretty good F/R weight ratio, to boot. Welcome back, Mustang SVO!

Edited by SoonerLS

But at the same time, I though EB was all about saving money via good MPG...I'm sure a 2.3 I4 could do 300+ HP, but at the same time can it get good MPG # or still use regular gas?

whos to say there wont be versions, ala eco, and seriously, i think theres a lot of people over-reacting to regular and premium gas....here, So Cal, probably the mecca for over priced gas barring Hawaii, the difference is approx 16cents, 15 gallons equates to $2.40....oh dear, time for a re-fi.....

whos to say there wont be versions, ala eco, and seriously, i think theres a lot of people over-reacting to regular and premium gas....here, So Cal, probably the mecca for over priced gas barring Hawaii, the difference is approx 16cents, 15 gallons equates to $2.40....oh dear, time for a re-fi.....

Agreed. Not to mention this is still a Mustang we're talking about here. If gas is that big of a concern on your shopping list, you're not even looking here to begin with.

Normal swing is 15-30 cents a gallon from what I've seen where I live at.

Agreed. Not to mention this is still a Mustang we're talking about here. If gas is that big of a concern on your shopping list, you're not even looking here to begin with.

What's the point of offering an Ecoboost I4 in the Mustang then? You already have a 3.7L V6 with 305HP that can get 30 MPG. Unless they are planning on replacing the V6 (doubtful), what exactly is the point of offering a I4, unless its going to increase your MPG's? I'd personally like to see the EB I4 as the base engine with about 300 HP so it performs like the 2005 GT does and see a bump in power with the V6...

What's the point of offering an Ecoboost I4 in the Mustang then? You already have a 3.7L V6 with 305HP that can get 30 MPG. Unless they are planning on replacing the V6 (doubtful), what exactly is the point of offering a I4, unless its going to increase your MPG's? I'd personally like to see the EB I4 as the base engine with about 300 HP so it performs like the 2005 GT does and see a bump in power with the V6...

Less cost, less weight, less restrictive packaging, better FE, et cetera. With CAFE requirements increasing year to year, automakers will be updating powertrains every refresh. Get used to it.

Less cost, less weight, less restrictive packaging, better FE, et cetera. With CAFE requirements increasing year to year, automakers will be updating powertrains every refresh. Get used to it.

That's only if there is a benefit. I doubt the 3.7 V6 weighs significantly more than a 2.3 EB would.

Duh thats the point I'm making, I don't think your gonna get 330HP out of a I4 without compromising FE on the engine, which would drop it lower then what the V6 Mustang currently gets.

There is no point to the EB I4 in the Mustang unless it gets better FE then a possibly upgraded 3.7L V6 can get in it. Given that the 3.7L is shared with the F-150...in volume its going to be cheaper then a 2.3L EB I4 engine that would be limited to to maybe 30-40K units...vs 100K+ V6 engines between the Mustang and F-150

Duh thats the point I'm making, I don't think your gonna get 330HP out of a I4 without compromising FE on the engine, which would drop it lower then what the V6 Mustang currently gets.

There is no point to the EB I4 in the Mustang unless it gets better FE then a possibly upgraded 3.7L V6 can get in it. Given that the 3.7L is shared with the F-150...in volume its going to be cheaper then a 2.3L EB I4 engine that would be limited to to maybe 30-40K units...vs 100K+ V6 engines between the Mustang and F-150

What's to make you think the 2.3L EB won't go elsewhere? There won't be a Mustang-only engine...

The last Focus RS with 2.5 I-5 Turbo had around 300 HP, obviously Matthaias Ton was referring to the next RS having 330 HP.

I don't buy the rest of that article's claims that the 2.3 Ecoboost WILL replace the 3.7 V6, that is a case of a European reporter

applying their fuel economy expectations to a US situation that probably doesn't warrant those extreme ,measures.

Who's to say that a EB 2.3 with 280 to 300 hp doesn't find its way onto say, a Fusion Sport in lieu of a 3.7 V6?

FoA have done the RWD adaptation of 2.0 EB for Falcon, that would be a head start on developing an I-4 EB Mustang

would an I-4 Mustang be preferable in terms of insurance to young drivers?

Edited by jpd80

What's to make you think the 2.3L EB won't go elsewhere? There won't be a Mustang-only engine...

The last Focus RS with 2.5 I-5 Turbo had around 300 HP, obviously Matthaias Ton was referring to the next RS having 330 HP.

I don't buy the rest of that article's claims that the 2.3 Ecoboost WILL replace the 3.7 V6, that is a case of a European reporter

applying their fuel economy expectations to a US situation that probably doesn't warrant those extreme ,measures.

Who's to say that a EB 2.3 with 280 to 300 hp doesn't find its way onto say, a Fusion Sport in lieu of a 3.7 V6?

FoA have done the RWD adaptation of 2.0 EB for Falcon, that would be a head start on developing an I-4 EB Mustang

would an I-4 Mustang be preferable in terms of insurance to young drivers?

Well outside of a Fusion ST and the Focus RS (which would be FWD/AWD applications) it would make EB the Mustang a unique powerplant due to its transmission...I don't see any other application for the engine, unless Ford is planning on getting rid of all of its V6's in its products.

Well outside of a Fusion ST and the Focus RS (which would be FWD/AWD applications) it would make EB the Mustang a unique powerplant due to its transmission...I don't see any other application for the engine, unless Ford is planning on getting rid of all of its V6's in its products.

I guess it depends on the bellhousing bolt pattern; if they use a common pattern with, say, the transmission in the T6 or behind an RWD D37, then it wouldn't necessarily be a unique powertrain.

Explorer, Flex, Taurus, MKT Town Car, F150 (possibly), Transit. I could see the 2.3 taking the place of the 2.0 in the Explorer as it seems many have said that the 2.0 may be just a tad small there, and too small for the desired fuel economy gains. I could also see the V6 going away in the Edge and the 2.3 taking its place.

And that's just North America...