MyFord Touch is Still Not Right for 2013

Two days since the fuse pull and everything is working a designed. Maybe dealerships should be pulling the fuse as part of the pre delivery check list.

perhaps you are right, Im thankful all seems well, from someone whos computer seemingly crashes twice a month, I know how frustrating it can be, but I also realized all the pi$$ing and moaning didnt solve anything, a little effort did...Cheers.

What kind of computers are you guys using?? My work pc, which runs on Vista, has not crashed on me once, nor has my Windows 7, or OSX machines at home, same for my iPhone, or iPad. Besides, comparing MFT to a device like this is silly. Unbox a PC/Mac/iPad/iPhone do nothing but use the built in apps and it should not crash. It is the user that causes issues on these devices, settings, software, virus/malware, etc. That's not the case in MFT.

• Like 2

perhaps you are right, Im thankful all seems well, from someone whos computer seemingly crashes twice a month, I know how frustrating it can be, but I also realized all the pi$$ing and moaning didnt solve anything, a little effort did...Cheers.

My Mac hasn't crashed once since I got it, my iPhone and all my previous phones, TV's, stereos, vacuum cleaners and electric razors have worked as designed. My computer at work has it problems, but there's an IS department to address that. I wasn't pi$$ing and moaning, I was stating the facts regarding the operation of my MyFord Touch system. I shouldn't have to put any effort in to solving operating problems, it should work as designed and advertised.

Instead of pulling the specific fuse, you could just yank the power to the fuse box. Just FYI.

I've never had to do this on any of my MFT/MLT vehicles however, but I've learned to ignore persistent bugs and move on with life.

Edited by BORG

Can someone explain to me why the power button couldn't work as a reset? Just hit the power button and then turn it back on. Problem solved no?

Or even hold the radio power button for three seconds?

Because there are other parts of the system that aren't controlled by the head unit power button and those are the ones that need to be reset. They could design it to work that way from the beginning but that obviously wasn't done.

This should never be necessary, especially after the software update.

I had to pull the fuse in my daughter's focus twice. It wasn't fun but it wasn't the end of the world either. Having to do it for a year would be really bad.

I was worried when I heard BeSquare was still involved. This is what happens when a car company tries to write software. I would expect the same problems if Microsoft tried to build a car.

Because there are other parts of the system that aren't controlled by the head unit power button and those are the ones that need to be reset. They could design it to work that way from the beginning but that obviously wasn't done.

Makes sense. I'm thinking the next generation of Ford telematics will be quite the departure from the current setup... only a few more years right.

The argument will never end between the Ford Apologists and the Ford Realists. I once started a thread on the MFT "performance upgrade" and it was just a big argument. Fact is, and no one can deny, MFT is bug ridden, and continues to be a black spot in Ford's portfolio, a warranty nightmare on Ford's books, and makes dealerships and technicians look like dumb fools because they can't fix the majority of problems without new software (other than a few APIM's). I can't imagine how many customers they have turned off by MFT, and how many have bought elsewhere because of it or the customer service associated with it. Lack of answers, 2 years of ongoing buggyness, or typical "it will be fixed in the next software release" blowoff are major turnoffs to people willing to pay 30-60K for a vehicle with this system in it. I don't care what people here think, trying to minimize the issues just because there are workarounds, or that it's better than it used to be, or that 100,000K BMW has the same issues, or "I am not having the same issues", or "The issues don't bother me", or " I don't have any issues"...we know that's not true.

Maybe the variance in issues is how people use the systems. Maybe someone just listens to AM radio and never touches it.......it works fine. Maybe someone hooks an IPod to it and has problem with it resuming or going to FM radio. Maybe someone ordered NAV and it can't fix on the GPS signal and it keeps getting an SD card error. Give people a break and quit minimizing the issues. If it was a one off or something small then we wouldn't see all the press, and updates, and many people online discussing the issue.

I can understand some infrequent issues, I am a tech person and diagnosis issues often, but something so blatantly untested and thrown together as the software platform of MFT is just disgusting that Ford would even sign off on it. Then they go on and come out with the "performance upgrade" BIG quotes there. They write a whole Q&A document to the dealers saying everything is right with the world and MFT is all good to go now, "performance update" will fix all existing issues and customers will be happy. It's been tested and signed off on by consumers. Totally the opposite. Many opinions, including mine, think the design has gone backwards, we are unhappy they now have buttons on the steering wheel that are useless, we are unhappy features have been deleted from MFT without any consideration that anyone would notice they were gone. Couldn't imagine any person with a bit of engineering or design experience would test this thing and feel right about signing off on it. Hopefully those people are now fired.

So to take a step back, on my 2013 Escape, before taking delivery, I automatically resolved myself to know MFT was going to be a steaming pile of garbage direct from the factory floor. And it's had all the common issues within the first few weeks of ownership---blank Sirius presets, will not resume IPOD automatically, resumes to FM or AM radio sometimes, clock sets itself to a random time every few weeks, calendar is off by one day all the time with no way to set it, volume indicator responds only every other increment, and a few random reboots sprinkled in (you know--the ones Ford said would not happen anymore). On top of that useless home and info shortcut buttons on the steering wheel, no temperature display, no song/title display on the home screen, and then they add some sort of dyslectic old-time compass display. I take all of it with a grain of salt, and for my sanity, try to ignore it and give feedback to Ford it needs to be fixed. They claim there is another version they are beta testing currently to resolve these issues, plus bring the temperature display back as a customizable option. I am not holding my breath that it will be better because the garbage we were fed with the "performance upgrade".

Sorry Ford, while I am a loyal customer and an enthusiast and supporter of your company, I cannot stand behind you and make apologies for MFT. I hope for the good of the company you can get this thing to where it needs to be and keep moving ahead so customers can enjoy their vehicles.

Edited by svtenthusiast

So to take a step back, on my 2013 Escape, before taking delivery, I automatically resolved myself to know MFT was going to be a steaming pile of garbage direct from the factory floor. And it's had all the common issues within the first few weeks of ownership---blank Sirius presets, will not resume IPOD automatically, resumes to FM or AM radio sometimes, clock sets itself to a random time every few weeks, calendar is off by one day all the time with no way to set it, volume indicator responds only every other increment, and a few random reboots sprinkled in (you know--the ones Ford said would not happen anymore). On top of that useless home and info shortcut buttons on the steering wheel, no temperature display, no song/title display on the home screen, and then they add some sort of dyslectic old-time compass display. I take all of it with a grain of salt, and for my sanity, try to ignore it and give feedback to Ford it needs to be fixed. They claim there is another version they are beta testing currently to resolve these issues, plus bring the temperature display back as a customizable option. I am not holding my breath that it will be better because the garbage we were fed with the "performance upgrade".

Funny, I'm not having most of those problems, and some I don't consider problems.(My Sony Walkman MP3 player works just fine, must be a crApple thing... ) That must make me a "Ford apologist."

So anyone who reports no problems or only an occasional minor problem is a liar (like my daughter)?

If it was such a tremendous disaster for Ford then why aren't sales tanking?

So, on the other side of the coin, am I lying because I report having problems? Just because your daughter isn't having problems doesn't mean they don't exist, just look at the DCT discussion. I didn't have any issues with my DCT and never had the reprogramming service performed because it didn't need it. That doesn't mean there aren't problems with SOME units.

Some might think my problems are minor, I don't. I expect a certain level of performance from the system that I'm not getting and pulling the fuse every time problems resurface isn't the solution. After the fuse pull, my system is working, but for how long. I went down this path with my Focus.

To qualify the sales question, you would have to look only at sales of vehicles that have MFT as an option and how many units are being sold with and without and then survey people who considered Ford but purchased another brand. Also, it's not available across the entire line and not yet in one of Ford's most popular cars, the Fusion.

So, on the other side of the coin, am I lying because I report having problems? Just because your daughter isn't having problems doesn't mean they don't exist, just look at the DCT discussion. I didn't have any issues with my DCT and never had the reprogramming service performed because it didn't need it. That doesn't mean there aren't problems with SOME units.

Some might think my problems are minor, I don't. I expect a certain level of performance from the system that I'm not getting and pulling the fuse every time problems resurface isn't the solution. After the fuse pull, my system is working, but for how long. I went down this path with my Focus.

To qualify the sales question, you would have to look only at sales of vehicles that have MFT as an option and how many units are being sold with and without and then survey people who considered Ford but purchased another brand. Also, it's not available across the entire line and not yet in one of Ford's most popular cars, the Fusion.

Nobody here - and I mean nobody - has once suggested that your problems or anybody else's problems were not real. Nobody has ever suggested that this wasn't a major fiasco for Ford. Nobody has ever suggested that pulling a fuse is an acceptable procedure. Nobody has suggested that all of the problems have been fixed.

NOBODY.

So get off your high horse and stop calling everyone else apologists just because we don't all think the sky is falling.

The reality is that with the new software the MAJORITY of owners are happy with MFT with only a few folks still having major issues.

Are we happy that some people continue to have problems? No. Not at all. It's not a good thing.

Should Ford be doing everything in their power to get all of these problems fixed? Of course.

Are they? As long as they continue to put out software revisions and replace APIMs on cars with severe problems - yes.

Will some customers be pissed and go elsewhere? Yes, that's why I called it a "Fiasco".

Is EVERY customer having problems with MFT? Of course not, as evidenced by repeated posts here and on other boards.

For every customer who won't buy a Ford because of MFT, there are others who will buy a Ford for the first time because of MFT. It's definitely a double-edged sword.

We're being realistic about the problems. You're not. You think that other people with no problems somehow makes your problems less real or less important? It doesn't. Get over it.

• Like 1

akirby, my post wasn't a personal attack on you or Ford. I was responding to your comment that if you don't report problems you a liar. Why would someone who says the system works great be labeled a liar, except here. That's the trouble with non face to face discussion, I don't know, and can't immediately ask what you mean. I inferred from it that people who report problems are overreacting and that seems to be the tone of some of the posts. Among all the arguing, people are posting; that's the way technology is, and complex devices have inherent problems, etc. etc. You're right, no one here has stated I'm not telling the truth, and I've never said anyone was. I'd have to go back and look, but I think I've only posted four or five times in a topic I started where there's 94 posts, so it ain't me with my hair on fire. I started the topic to show that there are still issues, at least with my unit and I NEVER called anyone an apologist or made any claim from a high horse. You write things in your last post that I never said or implied. If you want to attack me go ahead, just don't post things I didn't say. As far as the last line of your post, that's bull. "We're"... like it's all you experts lording over the rest of us, that comes off as a bit arrogant, don't you think. You must be mistaking me for someone else, because you'll have to quote from my posts how I'm not being realistic. I NEVER said that that other people with no problems makes my problems less real or less important, so I have nothing to "get over". You need to back off. I don't come here to argue, blame or accuse, but I will defend myself when I'm being accused of something I didn't say.

Edited by transitman

akirby, my post wasn't a personal attack on you or Ford. I was responding to your comment that if you don't report problems you a liar. Why would someone who says the system works great be labeled a liar, except here. That's the trouble with non face to face discussion, I don't know, and can't immediately ask what you mean. I inferred from it that people who report problems are overreacting and that seems to be the tone of some of the posts. Among all the arguing, people are posting; that's the way technology is, and complex devices have inherent problems, etc. etc. You're right, no one here has stated I'm not telling the truth, and I've never said anyone was. I'd have to go back and look, but I think I've only posted four or five times in a topic I started where there's 94 posts, so it ain't me with my hair on fire. I started the topic to show that there are still issues, at least with my unit and I NEVER called anyone an apologist or made any claim from a high horse. You write things in your last post that I never said or implied. If you want to attack me go ahead, just don't post things I didn't say. As far as the last line of your post, that's bull. "We're"... like it's all you experts lording over the rest of us, that comes off as a bit arrogant, don't you think. You must be mistaking me for someone else, because you'll have to quote from my posts how I'm not being realistic. I NEVER said that that other people with no problems makes my problems less real or less important, so I have nothing to "get over". You need to back off. I don't come here to argue, blame or accuse, but I will defend myself when I'm being accused of something I didn't say.

I'm very very sorry. I confused you with svtenthusiast.

• Like 1

I was looking through some of the threads on this site last week concerning my auto temp control on my new 2013 explorer. After reading this thread, I realize I may have an issue with my ford touch.

Sometimes my atc will turn itself on when I start the vehicle even though it was off when the vehicle was last turned off. Has anyone heard of this condition?

• 2 weeks later...

Ford has just released a version 3.2 for all vehicles equipped with MyFord Touch except the 2012 Focus and 2013 Escape.

Supposed to fix a few of the common issues/bugs, nothing about the clock issues among many other items:

• Missing radio preset text

•  Radio stays on key off after opening the door

•  Voice recognition inoperative

• - pressing the push to talk button on the steering wheel does not initiate audio prompt "please say a command"; only Listening icon is displayed

•  Sirius travel link fuel prices show as unsubscribed when it is subscribed

Edited by svtenthusiast

Very easy way to sidestep the the MFT fiasco altogether and still buy a Ford. Stick with Ford models that don't have MFT yet on any model or just buy the SE model with some decent options. I've heard enough about MFT to know that it's just best to avoid it and go with Sync only. If Ford was smart, it would offer MFT on less Ford models as standard equipment and pretty much just make it an option for the high tech crowd that enjoys hooking up every device known to man and then some instead of actually driving the vehicle. MFT is fine as long as Ford doesn't shove it down every Ford buyer's throat whether they want it or not. Some post on here like Ford forces it on every vehicle and model. Too much push back to do that.