Ranger Wins Int' Pick-Up OTY Award

Judges evaluated entries at the Millbrook Proving Ground in Bedfordshire, and the Ranger managed to take home more points than the next two finishers combined. The Isuzu D-Max took the silver, leaving bronze to the Volkswagen Amarok.

"The Ranger is great for work and great for leisure, and customers will appreciate the difference as soon as they get behind the wheel," said Paul Randle, vehicle line director, Global Commercial Vehicles, Ford of Europe. "This prestigious award is testament to the work of our global product teams and there is plenty more to look forward to with the launch of the all-new Transit and all-new Transit Connect in 2013."

You know, it's not a good thing when you have so many "Mafias" out there... Panther Mafia, Ranger Mafia, Explorer BOF Mafia, Windstar Mafia...

I would love there to be an "MKT Mafia"...

It kind of goes with the territory when you're killing models; it doesn't matter to the end users if it's the right business call or not if you're killing the model they love. Nobody wants it, but there's nothing you can do about it if you want to stay in business--and if there really were that many of them, Ford wouldn't have killed their sacred cows in the first place...

Edited by SoonerLS

It kind of goes with the territory when you're killing models; it doesn't matter to the end users if it's the right business call or not if you're killing the model they love. Nobody wants it, but there's nothing you can do about it if you want to stay in business--and if there really were that many of them, Ford wouldn't have killed their sacred cows in the first place...

Kinda like 2006?

The Ranger situation is a shame, because the rest of the world is getting a good-looking-and-performing truck that we're not. On the other hand, it is most of the size of an F-150 and its best motors aren't certified over here...which I also think is an error, but I digress: it would cost like and F-series and perform much like an F-series and likely steal sales from the F-series.

Throw in the languishing smaller truck market and similar details...and it's just not meant to be. I wonder if the upcoming CAFE ratings will change that, but for now, it's not coming here.

I really think the new F150 might be sharing more parts with ROW Ranger if we believe they're downsizing the new F150.

Nope. All new. Haven't seen it personally, only a few people have, but from its description, it shares nothing with any current product with the exception of possible launch powertrains.

Nope. All new. Haven't seen it personally, only a few people have, but from its description, it shares nothing with any current product with the exception of possible launch powertrains.

That doesn't preclude the new Ranger from sharing the new F150 parts though. I find it hard to believe Ford wouldn't find a way to share a lot between two trucks that are that close in size.

They certainly have enough volume to keep separate platforms so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I can't see Ford using aluminum, at least to the extent the F-150 will use it, in the World Ranger. It would make it a lot more expensive.

But I've been wrong before. Just ask my ex-wife.

That would be a compelling reason and justifiable. Remember - even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

I can't see Ford using aluminum, at least to the extent the F-150 will use it, in the World Ranger. It would make it a lot more expensive.

But I've been wrong before. Just ask my ex-wife.

The diesel engines in global Ranger were of more importance in fuel economy, the bulk of Ranger's markets have much more expensive fuel than the US

Most of Ranger's markets have Euro 4 emissions so it allows Ford to shadow European development of emissions, something they can do thanks to Transit's engines.

I'd like to see a bit more rugged looking styling. Think scaled down raptor. However I like the size. Dimensions are very slightly smaller than a Sport Trac which would be about right for what I need. Certainly better than the F150 which is way too big for what I need. However, it has been decreed that the US of A will not buy smaller trucks. I would still like to see if that remained true if someone actually built a modern small truck.

• Like 2

Better to be a member of the mafia than a corporate bobblehead. If the Ranger were available here I would have already replaced my 07 Sport Trac. Unless Ford has a truck smaller than the current F-series before I absolutely have to replace my 07 I will be going elsewhere. And that is a real shame considering I have never owned anything but Fords since I first started driving in the 70s.

Better to be a member of the mafia than a corporate bobblehead. If the Ranger were available here I would have already replaced my 07 Sport Trac. Unless Ford has a truck smaller than the current F-series before I absolutely have to replace my 07 I will be going elsewhere. And that is a real shame considering I have never owned anything but Fords since I first started driving in the 70s.

I didn't realize Ford was in business to cater to the whims of every person who wants to buy a vehicle regardless of how much it costs or how much profit it makes for the company.

It was the right business decision at the time even if it sucks for consumers. But don't blame Ford because the small truck market shrank considerably over the last several years. Blame the consumers who stopped buying them. And don't say it's because they weren't updated - there were plenty of decent choices out there other than the Ranger that buyers could have bought.

Hate to say it, but I like the Colorado's look better than the Ranger. Ranger to me looks like an Edge with a box.

And Kirby you are right, you can't have everything. I still say the solution will have arrived when we have one pick up line instead of 150/Super Duty and at that point perhaps the "new" downsized 150 comes on scene satisfying the Ranger market and the lower end of the existing 150 market while th "new" 250 moves down into the higher end of the current 150 market. Bottom line while we had Ranger, 150 and Super Duty we go to two platforms- Ranger/150, and SD.

Hate to say it, but I like the Colorado's look better than the Ranger. Ranger to me looks like an Edge with a box.

And Kirby you are right, you can't have everything. I still say the solution will have arrived when we have one pick up line instead of 150/Super Duty and at that point perhaps the "new" downsized 150 comes on scene satisfying the Ranger market and the lower end of the existing 150 market while the "new" 250 moves down into the higher end of the current 150 market. Bottom line while we had Ranger, 150 and Super Duty we go to two platforms- Ranger/150, and SD.

At the moment, sales data on F150 suggests that only 5% of the 35,000 odd monthly sales are in fact 3.7 V6 powered vehicles.

While adding a Ranger may not seem financially justified to Ford, I'm sure they are aware of:

- the gap at the bottom of the F150's envelope

- the overlap that currently exists between F150 and F250

So perhaps the answer lies with Ford's next move with the 2015 F150 and how much advantage Ford sees in converting mid sized truck buyers.

Ford's one truck policy instead of Ranger-F150 only works if an F100/F150 covers the market better and adds to more effective profit.

Edited by jpd80