1.6L EB recall

my Enterprise contract says $30 a day plus they are paying 14.99 a day for insurance plus various taxes which can vary greatly on the area, so $55 a day is easy.

stuck in a minivan that smells like smoke and a low tire pressure warning that wont go out and really badly worn fronttires but they have no other vehicles left.....

Funny. Enterprise said the 15 bucks for insurance would be on my dime not on Fords. So I declined of course.

I like the member that said that Ford should extend the warranty on the engine. Heck, give me a longer extended warranty. I already have a 6yr 75K premium care ESP.

Its highly unlikely that they will swap and give us 2.0L. Thats being too wishful

Monday will mark the one week mark at the dealer :rant2:

My dealer said that one way or the other they would allow me to start over on a new order and give me full credit and a similar "good deal" on a 2.0, but they want to wait a bit and see what Ford is going to do.

Edited by xgman

From the information I heard from the rep, Ford is offering to trade people out, offer esp plans or make payments. That's the 3rd party info I got.

I commend them for doing the best that they can in an awful situation. I hope some changes are made to keep this from happening again.

From my understanding Ford hasn't got all the details worked out on the customer satisfaction side yet. They just wanted to get customers out of the cars to be safe. They did put out a supplement to the recall stating customers not in Ford rentals should be swapped out as soon as possible.

I am still driving my 1.6L Escape. I keep an eye on the engine temperature gauge and the engine warms up in 5 minutes or less. When warm the temperature gauge is a little less than 50% and if it goes over that I know the coolant valve has failed to open.

Is this really a good idea? I mean if something happens and your engine does catch fire is Ford liable at that point since they have informed you to stop driving the vehicle? Just something to consider.

From the information I heard from the rep, Ford is offering to trade people out, offer esp plans or make payments. That's the 3rd party info I got.

I commend them for doing the best that they can in an awful situation. I hope some changes are made to keep this from happening again.

From my understanding Ford hasn't got all the details worked out on the customer satisfaction side yet. They just wanted to get customers out of the cars to be safe. They did put out a supplement to the recall stating customers not in Ford rentals should be swapped out as soon as possible.

I hope. I will gladly take an exact model as what we have with the 2.0.

No one has contacted me about the recall. Not Ford or my dealer.

If worried go to Ford.com, there's a search box upper right type recall in it.

This will take you to a page that will require your V.I.N , type it in to check for open recalls on you vehicle.

There are now 7 reports of 1.6 Ecoboost fires in Europe. It's not a problem only in the U.S.: http://www.thedetroi...ford-in-europe/

US: No Ford EcoBoost 1.6 recall for Europe

By Graeme Roberts | 7 December 2012

Ford won't recall vehicles sold in Europe with the 1.6-litre EcoBoost turbocharged engine that prompted a fire risk recall in the US.

"We conducted a thorough investigation of the vehicles in Europe with the 1.6-litre engine and determined there is no similar issue in Europe and no need for recall," Ford Europe spokesman Mark Truby told USA Today.

Ford had said earlier this week it was investigating reports of seven fires in Europe in vehicles fitted with the engine which is made in the UK, the report said.

Over 80,000 have been built since 2010 for use in six Ford vehicle model lines in Europe but engineers have decided the European fires do not appear related to the US events and no recall is necessary.

http://www.just-auto...e_id129636.aspx

Edited by MKII

I think it's now safe to assume that Ford knows what's causing the problem in order to rule out European incidents.

The most likely reason why we're not hearing anything is that Ford hasn't completed the repair procedure yet,

I'm thiunking that has to be properly validated before anything is announced...

This is may 13th new Ford vehicle. The 2013 Escape 1.6L was bought because of the gas mileage. ( 33 MPG ) I drive 100 miles to commute to work. This is also the first Ford vehicle I have had to return for a recall. I really like the Escape and

responce of the engine when you step on the gas and also the gas mileage. I hope Ford finds the fix, and I hope to drive this vehicle into retirement ( if there still is a retriement in the USA ).

I don't mean to pile on here, but if you want what you say to be taken seriously, you need to find someone to proof read your posts.

I think it's now safe to assume that Ford knows what's causing the problem in order to rule out European incidents.

The most likely reason why we're not hearing anything is that Ford hasn't completed the repair procedure yet,

I'm thiunking that has to be properly validated before anything is announced...

And the problem is.....software!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-produces-fix-voluntary-safety-180000012.html

The fix is software, the problem is a loss of coolant system pressure which would happen with mechanical failure, not software.

Here's the headlines from Reuters:

Dec 10 (Reuters) - A defect that raised the risk of an engine fire in Ford Motor Co's newly launched Escape and Fusion models was caused by a glitch in the software that monitors the vehicles' cooling systems, Ford said on Monday.

What is causing the loss of coolant system pressure?

There's the $64k question. This software fix seems like a bandaid for a separate issue.

Why have an odd number of these engines experienced coolant system pressure losses?

It's great that we can salvage the engine and keep people safe with the software, but that doesn't stop the fact that software was not the issue in the first place.

Yes. I read the headlines. I also read this:

What is causing the loss of coolant system pressure?

Here's the best explanation I've been able to find so far:

Ford Product Development Chief Raj Nair says the problem happens when a coolant doesn't flow through the radiator to be cooled. That is because a valve is out-of-sync with the thermostat. Overheated coolant can blow gaskets and leak onto hot exhaust parts.

Since the fix is a software update, it appears to me that the valve synchronization is controlled by software.

Edited by iamamultitasker

Here's the best explanation I've been able to find so far:

Ford Product Development Chief Raj Nair says the problem happens when a coolant doesn't flow through the radiator to be cooled. That is because a valve is out-of-sync with the thermostat. Overheated coolant can blow gaskets and leak onto hot exhaust parts.

Since the fix is a software update, it appears to me that the valve synchronization is controlled by software.

If that is the case, then it makes sense.

But the press release makes it seem that the software is to control catastrophic failure in the event of overheating:

The software updates will better manage engine temperatures during a unique overheating condition that could occur under unique operating conditions. The original cooling system design was not able to address a loss of coolant system pressure under certain operating conditions, which could lead to a vehicle fire while the engine was running.

What is scary here, is whether or not the sofware caused the engine to overheat because of a valve command, that it doesn't address if the engine overheats for any other reason, it could cause a fire.

This should not happen in general overheating circumstances, one example as it's possible to overheat the engine when towing in hilly, hot conditions.

Most vehicles display a warning, drop a few cylinders, might burp a little bit of coolant, and you have to pull over to let it cool off. Fire should never come into the equation.