Couple sues Ford because Escape lemon replacement is wrong color

this one REALLY has me scratching my head...but heres another angle. They got a 2012, well exactly when ?, because towards the introduction of the 2013 these were damn near impossible to find, we ran out BIG time as the rebates and incentives bordered on insane. Perhaps, there wasnt any choices in the equipment level they desired, maybe they were offered a 2013, but like some, didnt care for the new wave styling. Then what?....after all that though, they would have been given a choice, substitute of collateral, assignment of proceeds, or pro rated re-imbursement. I am 100% sure ford made every effort to appese, but hands may have been tied with selection due to timing, HOWEVER the customer HAD MULTIPLE choices of which way to go....

If we are being told the entire story (which I'm sure we aren't) I can sorta see the issue the couple had.

They were already frustrated with Ford over their original clunker Escape and the processes they had to go through to get it lemon-lawed. That alone would've sent me packing.

Then if Ford were to hand over a vehicle that was a completely different color combo then the one it was replacing (mind you...not even close), that would send me over the edge. (I don't like white cars, so I can somewhat sympathize)

Of course....that's if we are being told the entire story. Which I also 100% doubt.

If we are being told the entire story (which I'm sure we aren't) I can sorta see the issue the couple had.

They were already frustrated with Ford over their original clunker Escape and the processes they had to go through to get it lemon-lawed. That alone would've sent me packing.

Then if Ford were to hand over a vehicle that was a completely different color combo then the one it was replacing (mind you...not even close), that would send me over the edge. (I don't like white cars, so I can somewhat sympathize)

Of course....that's if we are being told the entire story. Which I also 100% doubt.

like I said though, dependent on timing, availability may have been a real issue, what if there were only 4 left in the State when the final decision was ruled?....we were out of Escapes close to two months before the 2013 release, I ran locates....the only ones avail were over 350 miles away and even THEY were in insignificant numbers...ie single digits.....

I may be crazy, but I get the sense that for most people, especially non-car people who don't really understand any of the specs, the color is the 'feature' they are most in tune with, and is the attribute most likely to actually drive their buying decision.

only to an extent, right now if I had to put my finger on it the "hot button" to those not pre-disposed with a set budget or brand bias, it would be exterior styling....2013 hybrid and Escape= WINNER!

Edited by Deanh

I may be crazy, but I get the sense that for most people, especially non-car people who don't really understand any of the specs, the color is the 'feature' they are most in tune with, and is the attribute most likely to actually drive their buying decision.

Price and Color when I go car shopping with my friends are what they use to decide. I have a friend now who wants to go shopping - he wants to spend about $28k, he wants a Fusion in black or grey. He didn't care about options at all just what he wanted to spend. I started showing him the different things he could get for that price, then he asks me what I think is best but is more interested in the car and some features.

Back to the topic though, I would NEVER sign a paper that I didn't know what my replacement vehicle was.

Price and Color when I go car shopping with my friends are what they use to decide. I have a friend now who wants to go shopping - he wants to spend about $28k, he wants a Fusion in black or grey. He didn't care about options at all just what he wanted to spend. I started showing him the different things he could get for that price, then he asks me what I think is best but is more interested in the car and some features.

Back to the topic though, I would NEVER sign a paper that I didn't know what my replacement vehicle was.

BINGO.....customer has to sign paperwork...think they didnt know what they were getting?....especially given their propensity for a particular color exterior and interior.....LOT more to this story, IMO some coaching from a deep pocket hunting Attourney.....consumers are just glazed eyed at the carrot hes hung in front of them...

I'm not saying that they should be stuck with a color (combo) they hate, but there were no Sangria Red 2012 Escapes to be had at any price. The Wisconsin Lemon Law stipulates that the replacement vehicle be a "comparable new motor vehicle," and I doubt you'd find many (if any) "new" Sangria Red 2010 Escapes during the 2012 MY. If they didn't like the color of the replacement Escape (and, for all we know, that was the only comparable 2012 Escape that Ford could find), then they should have taken the refund option instead. That's what I would've done--and that was, in fact, what someone I know did when he went through the Lemon Law process.

I'm guessing they took the vehicle willingly then decided they didn't like it for whatever reason and the ambulance chaser took it from there. What I don't understand is how they can get an additional $25K out of the deal. Seems the most Ford would be required to do is buy back the vehicle.

The Ford should have consulted the couple on a color they approve of that is offered for 2012.

That's the thing, what if the couple totally hates the steel blue color, like you hate orange? I like orange but I'm not too fond of the steel blue.

And just because a vehicle is 2 years newer doesn't always mean it's better. Well, in this case, the old model was a lemon so hopefully the new one is better.

Seems reasonable to me. Here's the color chart - pick one.

I'm guessing they took the vehicle willingly then decided they didn't like it for whatever reason and the ambulance chaser took it from there. What I don't understand is how they can get an additional $25K out of the deal. Seems the most Ford would be required to do is buy back the vehicle.

Unless they were told that this is all that we have and they had to take it or walk home.

I drove Escapes for over 10 years starting in '01 when it first came out. I had one of the first units to roll off the line and yes, there was a recall involving something on the intake which had to be removed, fixed and reinstalled but after that I'm telling you, NOTHING ever went wrong with that truck. Then I traded it in on an '08 which was a more luxurious vehicle, not as sporty or as quick and my main complaint was that sluggish 4 speed they used but it too only had one issue which was the recall on the trans cooler leak. It never experienced any issues at all either. I think they were damn well built little vehicles and was happy to recommend them to anyone. Not sure what you can compare it to Borg for about $28K it was nicely equipped, ran fairly well and dead on reliable.

:rolleyes:

Hell of a successful solidly-built "chick car". Supposin' my Edge is a "chick car" too though in your eyes. Is my Mustang a "chick car" too?

I get the chick-car comment on my MKX. Doesn't fly with me, I love that car and quite secure in my dude-hood, especially when I smoke 'em!

Congratulations on your solidly built chick-car

There's a lot to read into such a pithy comment. It's kind of like the association people make with those big jacked up 4x4 trucks with huge tires..............over compensation? I don't know if you or they have a small penis. I drive a Miata, a manual btw, if you want to make that an issue. So I've heard ( actually read on the internet where character assassination is easier) the "chick car" thing. Nobody has ever made an issue in the real world. If they did, KMA I'd say! Or SMBigD!

Back to the Escape, didn't they notice the color when they picked it up, and signed off on it?

There's a lot to read into such a pithy comment. It's kind of like the association people make with those big jacked up 4x4 trucks with huge tires..............over compensation? I don't know if you or they have a small penis. I drive a Miata, a manual btw, if you want to make that an issue. So I've heard ( actually read on the internet where character assassination is easier) the "chick car" thing. Nobody has ever made an issue in the real world. If they did, KMA I'd say! Or SMBigD!

Back to the Escape, didn't they notice the color when they picked it up, and signed off on it?

I believe probowler is a chick.

Color plays into my decision. Of course first it has to have the specs I want, then color comes into play. I'll hold off on purchase if they don't have the color I want with the specs I want.

:rolleyes:

Hell of a successful solidly-built "chick car". Supposin' my Edge is a "chick car" too though in your eyes. Is my Mustang a "chick car" too?

Well, a V6 convertible Mustang always reminds me of either chick car or rental car. Cause unless it has rental plates on it, I rarely see a man driving it.

I have yet to see a man driving a new 2013 Escape, and very few men driving an Edge since the Gen 1 model release. Heck, have two women in the dept. with an Edge.

Not saying they are chick cars, but that's practically all I ever see. It is what it is I guess.

Color plays into my decision. Of course first it has to have the specs I want, then color comes into play. I'll hold off on purchase if they don't have the color I want with the specs I want.

Well, a V6 convertible Mustang always reminds me of either chick car or rental car. Cause unless it has rental plates on it, I rarely see a man driving it.

I have yet to see a man driving a new 2013 Escape, and very few men driving an Edge since the Gen 1 model release. Heck, have two women in the dept. with an Edge.

Not saying they are chick cars, but that's practically all I ever see. It is what it is I guess.

Most Edges I see are being driven by older people I've noticed, male and female. Of the newer Edge Sports ('11+) I've seen, they've all been driven by men.

I honestly haven't noticed many new Escapes on the road to tell. I see them in parking lots all the time, but rarely on the road. Weird.

maybe, just maybe women are more dominant in Denver and guys are led around by their -alls......bunch of whipped YES men.............lol