Ford Police Interceptors selling like hot cakes---or donuts?

The District of Columbia Police and local Maryland police have purchased a ton of these in both SUV and sedan form. They especially look great at night in D.C. with their red, white and blue paint jobs and blue LED running lights!

Pg Co don't spend too much on police cars (they still have Luminas and 1st gen Impalas, C/Vs are their newest cars) Montgomery Co is rich so they literally have every new police package available (including Tahoe, Explorer, Caprice, Charger and remaining C/Vs). Baltimore is straight GM its Caprice and Impala only.

Cedar Rapids, the second largest city in Iowa, is looking to move away from the Caprice to either the Ford PI or Dodge Charger after too many complaints from officers about the cramped interior. CRPD had originally stockpiled CVPI's in 2011 before deciding to transition to the Caprice. It looks like that transition was short-lived.

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Cedar-Rapids-Police-Reconsidering-Move-to-Chevy-Patrol-Cars-187930981.html

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - The era of Chevrolet police cars in Cedar Rapids may be short-lived.

Officials selected the Chevrolet Caprice PPV as the new model of patrol car in Cedar Rapids when production on the Ford Crown Victoria ended in 2011. But the Police Department is reconsidering the decision, now that more options are available.

A committee that has been comparing the Caprice with the new Ford Police Interceptor and the Dodge Charger Pursuit hopes to make a recommendation to Police Chief Wayne Jerman within the next 10 days.

Among other complaints, officials said some of the larger officers have had a difficult time transitioning to the newer vehicles, which are smaller inside than the Crown Victorias.

“You get a 6-foot-3 officer that weighs 220 pounds, and it’s cramped in there,” Sgt. Cristy Hamblin said. “I even feel claustrophobic in there. It’s a concern.”

The local PD here in Lower Merion (suburban Philadelphia) just made the shift from Crown Vics to the Explorer Interceptor. I was a little surprised they went with an SUV - most of the town is pretty densely developed and we don't get too much snow. There are some scattered large estates, however, we have lots of hills, and while most winters produce less than 20in of snow we got about 7ft a few years ago. According to the article, some of the big issues were comfort for the officers and the AWD (they need to put chains on the Crown Vics). Priced out at about $30,000 each.

http://www.mainlinemedianews.com/articles/2013/01/28/main_line_times/news/doc50feaab334d84434133495.txt?viewmode=fullstory

They do look pretty intimidating.

doc50feaab334d844341334951.jpg

City and county here is mostly Ford. The city has a new marked PI and the county has an unmarked PI Utility. If the Utility got some mass-market wheels, it would be almost as stealthy as the 04-07 Taurus they have. That's one you don't see coming.

Pic of a recent incident looking down the side of the city PI, unmarked utility in the center of pic, Sheriff's Five Hundred on the right.

Boone-high-school-2.jpg

• Like 1

Hey, a thread for my post that I stuck in a totally unrelated thread before. As I noted there, the WSP has started to introduce PI's here. I assume it's part of their planned, natural replacement cycle for the marked fleet. Most unmarked units around here are pretty easily identified as WSP and I've not seen any PI's there yet (you can usually tell by the plethora of antennae on the trunk lid--but right now, I'm blanking on whether the unmarked units have the WSP-specific plates).

I've been seeing them in service in the Milwaukee area with the full markings and lights. From the WSP website (but the ones I have seen are all blue):

taurus2013.jpg

When first announced, I was of the belief that the Taurus PI would be a small time player in the police market. But I have been seeing them in service with a lot of agencies and as long as it doesn't have serious mechanical issues, I now think Ford will remain the leader.

I have only seen one (1!) Caprice in service so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is one of our test units. I got to drive it last night. I was impressed overall. Especially with the acceleration and handling (base v6 awd). It is a little awkward getting in and out and the rear visiblity is awful. I would gladly drive it everyday though. I have not seen any utility models yet so I'm not sure if we are testing them. I hope so.

0b2ffd4f-1fdb-47a9-af6e-f0f540eb4f6a.jpg

• Like 1

Here is one of our test units. I got to drive it last night. I was impressed overall. Especially with the acceleration and handling (base v6 awd). It is a little awkward getting in and out and the rear visiblity is awful. I would gladly drive it everyday though. I have not seen any utility models yet so I'm not sure if we are testing them. I hope so.

Nice looking cruiser. As to visibility, just learn to think a little more Italian:

And what will they be replacing? As the owner of an SHO-that replaced a CV Sport, I hear you on the visibility-but as with everything, you get used to it.

Nice looking cruiser. As to visibility, just learn to think a little more Italian:

Thanks and LoL!

And what will they be replacing? As the owner of an SHO-that replaced a CV Sport, I hear you on the visibility-but as with everything, you get used to it.

Replacing Crown Vic's. We have some V8 Caprice's and V6 Chargers in the test fleet too. The Caprice was crazy fast but, ridiculously small inside and the suspension felt like it was made of rocks. Way too hard. I took it back to trade it back for the Ford PI again. I didn't drive the Charger. I was soured on those the first time they came out. I really hope we go with the Ford.

I haven't looked at the specs in a while. Do they offer the back up camera on these? That would solve the rear visibilty.

We bought a boatload of extra CVPI's so we won't need anything until next year.

Thanks and LoL!

Replacing Crown Vic's. We have some V8 Caprice's and V6 Chargers in the test fleet too. The Caprice was crazy fast but, ridiculously small inside and the suspension felt like it was made of rocks. Way too hard. I took it back to trade it back for the Ford PI again. I didn't drive the Charger. I was soured on those the first time they came out. I really hope we go with the Ford.

I haven't looked at the specs in a while. Do they offer the back up camera on these? That would solve the rear visibilty.

We bought a boatload of extra CVPI's so we won't need anything until next year.

Smart move-stay with what is proven while others work the bugs out-and while the Taurus is not "new" at this point, the PI has plenty of new components.

• 1 month later...

Chicago Police Department seems to have been purchasing a large number of Explorer PIs and PIs lately. They have marked and unmarked. I drove an unmarked Explorer variant the other night. The 3.7 had nice power and it felt like it had a lot of room in it with the column mounted shifter and no center console. I really liked the feeling of it. The officers like it so far.