New Light & Medium Duty News

First pictures of Ford Motor Company's new H62X Cargo heavy truck for 2018. Serious metal indeed with up to 520 horsepower.

Featuring an all-new full-width cab, the Ford Cargo is now prepared to compete with Iveco, MAN, Mercedes-Benz, Renault, Scania and Volvo.

Ford was willing to allow its Chinese partner to build a variant* of the current Cargo under license, because the all new Cargo was on the way.

* https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/48768-china-market-ford-cargo-heavy-tractor-arrives/.

59dda81268e71_image1.jpg.808016049b0a84f

59ddb109e7a7f_image2.jpg.6062dc957ed92ec

59ddb10d28071_image3.JPG.8dcee89d29f49bd

59ddb15b91876_image4.thumb.jpg.719ab6ef8

• Like 1

I saw a Freightliner Argosy on the NYS Thruway on tuesday when I was coming back from Albany heading to Central NY...is Freightliner getting back into the COE business??
(note: internet picture - I could not get to my phone quick enough and he was heading east while I was going west and the driver was sitting on the left)

ADD ON: never mind, Freightliner ended Argosy sales in the NA market in 2014.
gblue_110430_d3s_7386_sml_argosy.jpg

Edited by twintornados

Saw a Buster Brown 650 or 750 yesterdqy northbound on I-495 just south of Mass Pike. So I posted something on BMT site as someone had posted a shot of such a UPS truck a couple of months ago which I thought was taken in Midwest. Wrong-couple of posts indicate that shot was taken in New Hampshire and then someone from upstate NY replied they are running up there and a UPS guy replied his barn had 5 V-10's in Calif.

Any OAP guys on this site who can confirm how many you have built.

Saw a Buster Brown 650 or 750 yesterdqy northbound on I-495 just south of Mass Pike.

I live very near a UPS hub and Amazon just built a warehouse about 5 miles down the road. Driving around the back of the hub, UPS spent a lot of money upgrading the loading docks to handle the increased volume. Recently, they received a large number of trailers. so many they are parked in a temporary lot across the street.

While I have seen many different brands of brown tractors pulling in an out, I have never seen a Ford !

I live very near a UPS hub and Amazon just built a warehouse about 5 miles down the road. Driving around the back of the hub, UPS spent a lot of money upgrading the loading docks to handle the increased volume. Recently, they received a large number of trailers. so many they are parked in a temporary lot across the street.

While I have seen many different brands of brown tractors pulling in an out, I have never seen a Ford !

For sure you won't see any Ford tractors-but a lot of the Sterlings are still on the road. My guess is these Fords with like 24' boxes are used for final deliveries where the volume of freight is too much for the scheduled package car route.

Speaking of the Amazon site I'm sure you are staggered by the size of the thing. I have a sister that lives in tobacco farm country in Connecticut and they built this thing in the middle of beautiful farm land that must be half a mile long! Still crops growing on both sides of the access road they built leading into it. Also plenty of signs in the area saying..."Drivers-Ignore GPS Directions for Amazon"

Back to E-Series, I have a question about the "end cap" seen on the rear of the E-Series cab when it is used by U-haul...does Ford supply the "end cap" and if so, why doesn't Ford market it is an affordable open bed stake body from companies like Reading, Knapheide, or Supreme? I have never seen a "stake rack" open bed E-Series and am left thinking that this would be another market opportunity for Ford and E-Series...

hqdefault.jpg

Back to E-Series, I have a question about the "end cap" seen on the rear of the E-Series cab when it is used by U-haul...does Ford supply the "end cap" and if so, why doesn't Ford market it is an affordable open bed stake body from companies like Reading, Knapheide, or Supreme? I have never seen a "stake rack" open bed E-Series and am left thinking that this would be another market opportunity for Ford and E-Series...

hqdefault.jpg

I have only seen that small cab extension on U-Haul trucks, so I believe it is exclusive to U-Haul. I have seen maybe one or two E-Series Chassis used with a Stake body on them.

It's not exactly the same thing, but "van-ups" used to be a thing--basically, it was an Econoline cab with a pickup bed. They were all over the place in the '80s, and I think they were popular for towing horse trailers, but they were all aftermarket conversions and pretty much disappeared around the time the Super Duties hit the market.

Some of my industry contacts are saying the V-10's in F-650's are having cam wear issues and above average incidence of engine failures at <60,000 m.. I have personally NOT seen anything, but not a lot of gas F-650's around here except for U-Haul and none in my fleet yet. Many of these claims are coming from towing operators, I assume it's their trucks and not what they are towing. Anyone heard same?

Some of my industry contacts are saying the V-10's in F-650's are having cam wear issues and above average incidence of engine failures at <60,000 m.. I have personally NOT seen anything, but not a lot of gas F-650's around here except for U-Haul and none in my fleet yet. Many of these claims are coming from towing operators, I assume it's their trucks and not what they are towing. Anyone heard same?

Wow-if you are saying "some" that implies more than one person-not good. Makes no sense. Think of the miles accumulated on these engines. and why would this be a "650" issue? Different cams in 650 version? If not, new cam suppier if not an in house part?? - think of the other V-10's out there.

The warranty for F650/F750 (gasser model) is two years unlimited miles, so any failure would still be covered on any 2016 on up Medium Duty truck.

Edited by twintornados

I've heard of a lot of issues with the cam followers (rocker arms) breaking in 2013+ engines. There's been no design change to that part in the 3v motor since it debuted in 2005 and you never heard of these things failing prior to this. Also that same part is used in the 4.6 and 5.4 engines as well. It's gotta be a supplier/part issue the way it just started one year. Ford better get it fixed before word gets out too much.

Well, I see that Ryder will be offering a full electric medium duty van (16,535 GVW). http://wardsauto.com/engines/chinese-company-fields-electric-cv-us-market?NL=WAW-04&Issue=WAW-04_20171026_WAW-04_704&cl=article_3&utm_rid=CPENT000003196497&utm_campaign=15002&utm_medium=email&elq2=10bb379e4160443194c9c33ccc9ab259

Chinese built, brought in as completely knocked down kits and put together somewhere in the US. Hey, try anything once.

Well, I see that Ryder will be offering a full electric medium duty van (16,535 GVW). http://wardsauto.com/engines/chinese-company-fields-electric-cv-us-market?NL=WAW-04&Issue=WAW-04_20171026_WAW-04_704&cl=article_3&utm_rid=CPENT000003196497&utm_campaign=15002&utm_medium=email&elq2=10bb379e4160443194c9c33ccc9ab259

Chinese built, brought in as completely knocked down kits and put together somewhere in the US. Hey, try anything once.

When you read about the money the Chinese govt. is putting into electrics this is not a shocker. "level playing field?" I don't think so.

And I remember my Christmas and winter/spring breaks when I was in school working for one of my uncles who was the Ops mgr for wholesale beef operation. Usually driving a 6400 Chevy reefer, 292 six, 4 and 2. OR Econoline-"Heavy Duty"- I think it was a 170 six, "three on the tree" for those quick "hot shot" loads. Fun lifting a quarter or hind of beef off a low floor Econoline! Ford ruled the van segment in those days.

I'm wondering how this V10 cam issue is affecting -- if at all -- the Roush propane engines used by Bluebird Bus. Well this might be good news: An article in HDT mag mentions some upgrades to the F-medium tractor models and electrical upgrades to F650 tow trucks and other vocational applications.carrying through the 2018 model year. It's the same sales-wise as far as class 6 and 7 sales go for last month, but i did notice YTD sales for Class 6 Ford is 13594 units, Freight at 13593! Ford wins! Well so far anyway! Something I realized the other day is I've never seen anything other than a Ford or International medium for armored car and limousine use. No Freightliners! The Freights are too ugly for limousine apps!

I'm wondering how this V10 cam issue is affecting -- if at all -- the Roush propane engines used by Bluebird Bus. Well this might be good news: An article in HDT mag mentions some upgrades to the F-medium tractor models and electrical upgrades to F650 tow trucks and other vocational applications.carrying through the 2018 model year. It's the same sales-wise as far as class 6 and 7 sales go for last month, but i did notice YTD sales for Class 6 Ford is 13594 units, Freight at 13593! Ford wins! Well so far anyway! Something I realized the other day is I've never seen anything other than a Ford or International medium for armored car and limousine use. No Freightliners! The Freights are too ugly for limousine apps!

I've seen Rams used for armored trucks.