New Light & Medium Duty News

10 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

Gosh well okay then. A question was posed and I gave an opinion. I take it you wouldn’t like the 1954 truck Y-block name “PowerKing” either?

As opinions go, yours is pretty good, but sometimes, like mine, it can go askew....I kinda like "PowerKing"....but that too will be left to the annals of history.

7 hours ago, twintornados said:

As opinions go, yours is pretty good, but sometimes, like mine, it can go askew....I kinda like "PowerKing"....but that too will be left to the annals of history.

OKay, I'll bite.  As you and Stray Kat were going with ancient history....how about .."Big Job"  That was the term applied to the hood trim starting with 1951 F-7 and F-8's?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/2/2020 at 9:07 AM, twintornados said:

Which debuted in the Thunderbird...hence the name. It was not called Thunderjet in any other application install other than the Thunderbird. Every other application was referred to as 385 series, Cobra Jet, or simply by the cubic inch. I disagree on the name Thunderjet...it is a meaningless name in today's FoMoCo lineup....there are some names that need to stay in the history books.

Actually, the "Thunder-Jet" name was applied to the 360 HP 429 in the 1970 Fairlane, Cobra, Torino line as well as full size. The 429 CJ was 370 HP and when the Drag-Pak was added; it was upped to a 429 SCJ (some internal differences) and was rated at 375 hp.

20 hours ago, 351cid said:

Actually, the "Thunder-Jet" name was applied to the 360 HP 429 in the 1970 Fairlane, Cobra, Torino line as well as full size. The 429 CJ was 370 HP and when the Drag-Pak was added; it was upped to a 429 SCJ (some internal differences) and was rated at 375 hp.

The name debuted in the Thunderbird. I was used in the Fairlane, Cobra, Torino (and others)line with the moniker.."Now with Thunderbird power!!" when that was actually a thing to behold.

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

Two questions:  First, since it appears that Avon Lake will be re-tooled for BEV production (starting with the Mach E), where will the medium trucks be built after that?  Second, does anyone know the platform code for the 2023 medium duty 650/750?   

Maybe I missed something but since when is Avon Lake going to be retooled for Mustang Mach-E production? 2021MY Mustang Mach-E production is limited to 50,000 units so it's not like there's an immediate need for additional capacity unless Ford plans to dramatically increase production the year after and has access to substantially more batteries.   

20 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Maybe I missed something but since when is Avon Lake going to be retooled for Mustang Mach-E production? 2021MY Mustang Mach-E production is limited to 50,000 units so it's not like there's an immediate need for additional capacity unless Ford plans to dramatically increase production the year after and has access to substantially more batteries.   

Eh ?  Got any (public) info on that ?

1 hour ago, snooter said:

I do not envision any possible path in regards to detroit ever leading on battery technology....more that likely its probably the right move by ford to let others carry that burden

A good lesson for the D3 is to stick to what you know, make lots of profit but also invest in some future products that are safe bets. Don’t go into BEVs boots and all just yet.

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Ford is on the record saying that battery supplies are restricted for the next few years

but it also sees no need to build battery plants and move away from external sources.

i think they’re afraid to invest big to expand  current battery tech production when the “holy grail” solid state batteries are “right around the corner”....or so they say.

didn’t Toyota invest a ton in the....was it nickel metal hydride? batters only for them to be replaced by something else soon after?

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

i think they’re afraid to invest big to expand  current battery tech production when the “holy grail” solid state batteries are “right around the corner”....or so they say.

didn’t Toyota invest a ton in the....was it nickel metal hydride? batters only for them to be replaced by something else soon after?

The other part is that they’re not going to make enough EVs to justify that sort of deep investment. 

8 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Joey,

I can't believe the size of the fleet.  This  huge fleet ("Not for Hire") was a pvt. fleet that solely supported Ice Capades?   So were there multiple crews vs one troup???

The Ice Capades fleet photos are from the mid 70’s but the fleet increased in 1977 when all equipment (stage sets, props, costumes, office equipment, lighting & sound equipment, show support equipment, etc.) was shipped by trucks. Prior to 1977 most of the stage, lighting, sound, props, etc. were shipped by rail. The show had 3 companies on tour playing 90 cities in the U.S. and Canada with each company having trucks on the road but two of the companies also had trucks on the road with custom Fruehoff trailers with refrigeration equipment. The show had patented refrigeration systems that allowed the show to install ice surfaces, in buildings that didn’t have ice facilities, ready to skate on in only 16 hours.

My time with the show included, besides my primary positions, being one of the four members of the “Wagon Crew” that handled the loading and unloading of the show’s equipment from the rail cars and transporting the show trailers to the buildings where the show was playing.

Some of the truck drivers were direct employees of the shows and others were contract employees depending on the needs at the time.

Company policy prohibited any of the trucks arriving at the destination building (arena or civic center) unless the rig had been through a wash bay.

Ice Capades was a division of Metromedia from 1965 – 1983. Metromedia also owned the Harlem Globetrotters and was the largest independent broadcaster in the United States, owning the maximum number of television and radio stations, all in a Top 10 market, along with being the largest outdoor (billboard) marketing company and syndicated television distributor.

Metromedia’s Chairman & CEO was John Kluge, the richest person in America at the time. Metromedia was the origin of the Fox Network after Kluge broke up the company after years of disputes with the FCC over the restricted and outdated ownership rules for broadcast companies.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

My time with the show included, besides my primary positions, being one of the four members of the “Wagon Crew” that handled the loading and unloading of the show’s equipment from the rail cars and transporting the show trailers to the buildings where the show was playing.

Well, now we know the origin of your BON name....? Cool story for sure...I remember Ice Capades as a kid in the 60's-70's

5 hours ago, ice-capades said:

The Ice Capades fleet photos are from the mid 70’s but the fleet increased in 1977 when all equipment (stage sets, props, costumes, office equipment, lighting & sound equipment, show support equipment, etc.) was shipped by trucks. Prior to 1977 most of the stage, lighting, sound, props, etc. were shipped by rail. The show had 3 companies on tour playing 90 cities in the U.S. and Canada with each company having trucks on the road but two of the companies also had trucks on the road with custom Fruehoff trailers with refrigeration equipment. The show had patented refrigeration systems that allowed the show to install ice surfaces, in buildings that didn’t have ice facilities, ready to skate on in only 16 hours.

Some of the truck drivers were direct employees of the shows and others were contract employees depending on the needs at the time.

Company policy prohibited any of the trucks arriving at the destination building (arena or civic center) unless the rig had been through a wash bay.

Ice Capades was a division of Metromedia from 1965 – 1983. Metromedia also owned the Harlem Globetrotters and was the largest independent broadcaster in the United States, owning the maximum number of television and radio stations, all in a Top 10 market, along with being the largest outdoor (billboard) marketing company and syndicated television distributor.

Metromedia’s Chairman & CEO was John Kluge, the richest person in America at the time. Metromedia was the origin of the Fox Network after Kluge broke up the company after years of disputes with the FCC over the restricted and outdated ownership rules for broadcast companies.

Wow-thx for the education.    Had no idea the operation was that large.  And I'll bet you could tell some pretty good union stories too- depending on city of course.

I'll have to dig it up.  The same publisher did other automotive topics too like "The History of Fire Trucks.  Fortunately I think it goes up to just before Ford started to get out of class 8, which means I don't think there's any last generation L-series that became Sterlings.  Meanwhile i came across this unflattering image:

Funny Bumper Stickers You Don't See Everyday - Page 15 of 59 - Yeah! Motor

• Haha 1