Joe771476

New light & medium duty news

Bob

thank you for that wonderful picture! It brings back very nice memories of visiting KTP and watching the class8 trucks being built!

At that time late 70’s early 80’s ford built all midrange and class 8’s there.

I sold manual transmissions to ford manufactured by Clark Equipment for class 5,6,7.first made in Rockingham NC and later made in Valinos Brazil.

The DSO engineering was done at the plant, not in Dearborn.

If you really think about KTP today, ford might need to keep mid range truck there because just Navigator and Expedition volumes would not be enough to keep the massive plant open!

AGAIN, great picture

edselford

18 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Ok, time for a bit of...."the way we were".  

KTP  Assembly Line.jpeg

I really miss those 9000s!  One of my favorite Fords!

I was a teenager in the 1970s when I saw my first Louisville truck, doubly impressed because it was a Ford and it was Right Hand Drive.

Back in the can do days..........

Same here- I was working at a Mercury dealership when the Ford dealer across the street got in their first 1970 Louisville. Was only an LN500 gasser with the 300 cube 6, but everyone was impressed with the cab layout, instrument panel, wiring and plumbing, and other details. That Louisville was the talk of both dealerships for days...

Ford's "Heavy Truck" sales were 750 for the month.  Perhaps jpd can break those down into models.

On 5/5/2021 at 5:20 AM, rmc523 said:

Ford's "Heavy Truck" sales were 750 for the month.  Perhaps jpd can break those down into models.

Not yet but the F650 will be most of them, the F750 is usually 70-200 depending on total sales.

Either way you slice it I think the Medium Duty Trucks are a lower priority, it feels like that anyway.......

23 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Not yet but the F650 will be most of them, the F750 is usually 70-200 depending on total sales.

Either way you slice it I think the Medium Duty Trucks are a lower priority, it feels like that anyway.......

Low numbers but better than same period 2020.  And the Covid shutdowns didn't take place  u til lat Feb., early March??

On 5/3/2021 at 12:34 PM, edselford said:

Bob

thank you for that wonderful picture! It brings back very nice memories of visiting KTP and watching the class8 trucks being built!

At that time late 70’s early 80’s ford built all midrange and class 8’s there.

I sold manual transmissions to ford manufactured by Clark Equipment for class 5,6,7.first made in Rockingham NC and later made in Valinos Brazil.

The DSO engineering was done at the plant, not in Dearborn.

If you really think about KTP today, ford might need to keep mid range truck there because just Navigator and Expedition volumes would not be enough to keep the massive plant open!

AGAIN, great picture

edselford

Edsel- never knew about DSO engineering working in plant.  Makes a lot of sense to me.  Crazy sales request comes in?  What better way then to go down on the floor and see what the real issue might be.

I was fortunate to  get a trip to KTP when the sales districts took turns bringing customers down.  Ford plane-a converted Convair 340/440 airliner that sat about 20 picked us up day 1 and got us back late day 2.

That would have been early-mid 80's-ouch 35+ yrs ago🙄