New sync update coming very soon?

Well since I did the update, I lost the ability of the Sync system to read my text messages...need to figure out how to turn it back on again LOL

With iphones you have to turn the notifications back on in the bluetooth sync connection properties.

So I indicated in an earlier post that I have an error with my install of the new MLT. Since I grabbed the new version using my work computer I assumed that one or some of the files may have been blocked. I came home and reformatted my flash drive and re downloaded it and went back to my car to re install it. When I put the drive in the USB port and went through the initial steps to download it told me that I've already successfully installed the latest version yet I still have the error message in the information section of MLT. Can anyone offer me advice on how to remedy my dilemma?

So I indicated in an earlier post that I have an error with my install of the new MLT. Since I grabbed the new version using my work computer I assumed that one or some of the files may have been blocked. I came home and reformatted my flash drive and re downloaded it and went back to my car to re install it. When I put the drive in the USB port and went through the initial steps to download it told me that I've already successfully installed the latest version yet I still have the error message in the information section of MLT. Can anyone offer me advice on how to remedy my dilemma?

Try a Master Reset. When you do that, it advises that it will return the system to the factory default settings. It may not affect the software versions, but worth a try.

Well, this update didn't fix the indexing issue. My SD still randomly indexes when I start the car up, and plays from track 1 in the index

And yes, I have made sure there are no obscure meta tags - I removed all besides Album/Artist/Track/Year/Genre. And have run the sync My iTunes utility in which it cleaned up numerous files' meta data. Was hoping this one would be fixed.

Well, this update didn't fix the indexing issue. My SD still randomly indexes when I start the car up, and plays from track 1 in the index

And yes, I have made sure there are no obscure meta tags - I removed all besides Album/Artist/Track/Year/Genre. And have run the sync My iTunes utility in which it cleaned up numerous files' meta data. Was hoping this one would be fixed.

Have you tried a different media player instead of iTunes? I've been using Media Monkey and I've haven't had a random re-index of my SDcard since the update. Have you also selected shuffle music under options? I had mine playing each song in Numeric/alphabetical order till I did that.

I used a different MP3 tagger to add/remove/update the tags I wanted. I only used sync my iTunes to correct further issues (such as capialization, punctuations etc). Yeah, I keep it on shuffle, unless I am playing an album. In which case, that is when it is most annoying when it decides to reindex and start me over at the first song in the index (not the first song on the album). At first, I thought it was fixed, because I saw it re-indexing, however it was playing the last track I was on. I was OK with that, I don't mind that it wants to update it's index from time to time. The issue I have with it is when it plays the same first track again.

I have re-tried downloading to 3 different USB sticks today now. Such garbage software...just put it out on a regular download site Ford. Craptastic experience all the way around.

Obviously it's not the usb stick and it's not the SMR servers since they seem to be working for everyone else. I wonder what that leaves...........

Obviously it's not the usb stick and it's not the SMR servers since they seem to be working for everyone else. I wonder what that leaves...........

Right, I'm a friggin idiot, who doesn't know how to put a USB stick into a port and sit for 30 minutes. 3 issues;

1. Download requires secure site login and 64-bit/Java and also requires confirmation it was updated (re-insertion into computer). For a device I am nagged to upload diagnostic data to Ford on through my phone every 15,000 miles or so.

2. Update itself takes 30 plus minutes. I switched to Macs at home over 10 years ago, but this is quaintly 20th century.

3. Update fails (not infrequently based on my searches). Repeatedly for me. Wiped out backup cameras on many explorers (my other car; I am refraining from updating for a month or so until I read this is not an issue).

I called and Ford will now send me a USB stick for free in a few weeks time. Wonderful. But in the meantime (and of course I consider myself a fairly big proponent of Ford products) this whole thing makes me think the MSFT Sync product (and fired subcontractor I suppose) remains a real world/PR fiasco that does hurt customer retention for the company, and lowers scores on CR-types of analyses.

I have 40K miles on a 12 focus and if they'd just give me the option to download to my phone on the go, or do anything besides sit in my driveway for an hour at a time (2nd major update) twice a year, it might be a much better experience (yeah, 2GB is a huge update, but many have unlimited data and/or it's set up to hook up to home wi fi anyway, and why is it 2GB in any case? Why download essentially a whole new copy of Windows NT?).

I am sure my view will be denigrated/dismissed here but I'm equally sure this is not an ideal/acceptable/unique perspective. Rant over. Have a nice day!

• Like 1

1. Download requires secure site login and 64-bit/Java and also requires confirmation it was updated (re-insertion into computer). For a device I am nagged to upload diagnostic data to Ford on through my phone every 15,000 miles or so.

The reason it asks for confirmation is that it knows that your system has been successfully updated and updates the Ford Sync site that you have the latest version. As for Diagnostic data...so what, you don't need to send it if you don't want to.

2. Update itself takes 30 plus minutes. I switched to Macs at home over 10 years ago, but this is quaintly 20th century.

You ever think that your Mac is the reason why your having problems installing it? Unless your using BootCamp, It could be a reason why...and oh those Macs you speak of need updates just like their windows based counterparts. MFT doesn't have a powerhouse CPU in it either...so your mileage my vary...

3. Update fails (not infrequently based on my searches). Repeatedly for me. Wiped out backup cameras on many explorers (my other car; I am refraining from updating for a month or so until I read this is not an issue).

Why do I need to log back into the web site? Ford could just grab this the next time it's serviced and/or I update, or require me to do an update. Again, this would be more "customer friendly."

Well it worked from the Mac last time (eventually). But perhaps I should have looked around to see if, despite my browser passing the test for the download, in fact syncmyride would have a problem with Macs for some reason. Yeah, I am aware of the PC vs. Mac debate, but I have never spent more than 10 minutes on a Mac update, and never done more than one a year either. Why make this about Apple vs. MSFT? The point is not all software/updates is such a pita. In fact, regarding software updates a quick google search on BMW, Dodge, GM, Kia, and Toyota doesn't reveal a remotely similar threshold of pain/experiences. That's Ford's competition, not Apple, btw.

I hope other people aren't comparing Sync updates with Windows XP ca. 2002. And I hope MSFT's modern OS's are not anywhere near as obnoxious either.

• Like 1

Why download essentially a whole new copy of Windows NT?

That's actually very common for firmware updates, from smartphones to Blu-ray players to security cameras to automotive PCMs. If you do the firmware as a single unit, you don't have to worry about missing an incompatible library or checksumming every individual file--you just write the whole thing and checksum it it once.

Edited by SoonerLS

That's actually very common for firmware updates, from smartphones to Blu-ray players to security cameras to automotive PCMs. If you do the firmware as a single unit, you don't have to worry about missing an incompatible library or checksumming every individual file--you just write the whole thing and checksum it it once.

Exactly. It's endemic to tech. Install Windows 7, then install a gig of updates. Why? Because it's easier, storage is cheap and everyone's got broadband. You'll see the same thing with your Mac.

And, by the way, I hate this aspect of tech. I think it's sloppy. But I'm not going to pretend that any company is particularly egregious about it--not when iTunes is larger than Windows 95.

Edited by RichardJensen

Well it worked from the Mac last time (eventually). But perhaps I should have looked around to see if, despite my browser passing the test for the download, in fact syncmyride would have a problem with Macs for some reason.
I used to do the updates from my Mac. Then, SyncMyRide said I needed to update my version of Java. So I did. Then, SyncMyRide said I had an incompatible version of Java. As it turned out, I got the latest version, but SyncMyRide didn't support the latest version yet. I launched a virtual instance of Windows and did the update from there. I've done it that way ever since. SyncMyRide updates are a pain. Should be much easier.

Note: I'm a software developer, almost exclusively Microsoft-based. This is definitely a B-Square issue, not Microsoft.

Edited by CurtisH

Side note. If you update and don't confirm install by putting thumb drive back in computer, when you run a vehicle health report, it will confirm the apim software level to ford.

Thx for this info.

I agree re: above differentiation as between MSFT and B-square too. Just pissed about the whole thing yesterday. Oh well...