Question about the EPA investigation into Ford mpgs

MT isn`t to fault anymore more or less then CR. They stay on one opinion and its near impossible to move them despite the fact that they don`t accept advertising. They have been smitten with Toyota, Honda, (except 2012 Civic) for decades. Now they are in in love with Hyundai and Kia. They gave Ford (reasonable) credit a few years ago but it was a quick "affair" and long over. In all fairness, MFT and SYNC did`nt help! Wonder why all the Ford C-MAX Owners in Florida haven`t been bragging on their Fuel Economy if warm weather is the cure?

it wasn't SYNC, it was MFT they had problems with.

Let me be clear. I have no doubt the hybrids or Eb engine powered cars wont meet the epa estimates on the sticker if you run them in a laboratory under the exact same conditions the epa does. They will and Ford is not at fault for playing by the rules.

When you run them back to back with a competitor there is no fudging. This is real world or as close as it gets.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=371553

So how does that make ford disingenuous? How are they "gaming" the tests?

So how does that make ford disingenuous? How are they "gaming" the tests?

Call Ford and ask them. The numbers in the report speak for themselves. Direct competitors driven on the same day, same conditions with lower epa ratings clearly out perform the Cmax as far as gas mileage is concerned. Either Ford is gaming the test of Toyota is sandbagging. Take your pick. No one can throw CR under the bus this time.

So, the same driver drove all of the vehicles at the same time??

Sorry..................... I can throw CR under the bus any time I wish. If you devise a test that uses heavy acceleration, the vehicle with more power will have lower mileage than the one with less power. It will just take a lot longer to get there in the slower vehicle. Also, as others have stated, you drive the Ford hybrids differently to get the better mileage. That you don't like it, or don't want to accept it, is no bearing on its truth.

However, based on your previous posts, nothing anyone says will ever have you change your mind. Just remember this, hp costs fuel. It doesn't matter if it is hybrid hp, V8 hp, TTV6 hp, turbo 4cyl hp or N/A 4cyl hp. Use the power and you will suck more fuel.

It is a rather amazing thing......................... when I floor my Explorer, my TTV6 sucks fuel. Imagine that................... 365hp with almost 5000 AWD lbs, and it will suck gas when floored. Drive it normally, and it gets great mileage.

For others who are stating I live in the desert.................. I do not. I live at 5100ft in the Ponderosa Pine forest. We get snow, and will frequently have temps in the teens, in the winter. We may get over 100 a few times a summer, but it is 101 or 102. All of AZ is not desert. Also, my driving is a worst case scenario. Our stop and go in town is hops of less than 1 mile at a time. Anyone who knows about mileage, knows this is awful for economy. Our highway driving is up and down mountains with a lot of curves. Also, not conducive to good fuel economy.

Edited by Extreme4x4
  • Like 1

Let me be clear. I have no doubt the hybrids or Eb engine powered cars wont meet the epa estimates on the sticker if you run them in a laboratory under the exact same conditions the epa does. They will and Ford is not at fault for playing by the rules.

When you run them back to back with a competitor there is no fudging. This is real world or as close as it gets.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=371553

Who is to say Wayne Gerdes who is cleanmpg.com did not game his testing?

If you take the time to review Wayne's blogs, it is obvious Wayne is a Prius advocate and to some extent not a fan of anything domestic.

Wayne has a hard on for anything the Asian manufacturers send his way to review.

His C-Max comparo smells very gamey ;)

Edited by MKII

Who is to say Wayne Gerdes who is cleanmpg.com did not game his testing?

If you take the time to review Wayne's blogs, it is obvious Wayne is a Prius advocate and to some extent not a fan of anything domestic.

Wayne has a hard on for anything the Asian manufacturers send his way to review.

His C-Max comparo smells very gamey ;)

This is the same guy that hypermiled a F150 EB to over 30 mpg across the country so I fail to see how he has an axe to grind with Ford.

It is a rather amazing thing......................... when I floor my Explorer, my TTV6 sucks fuel. Imagine that................... 365hp with almost 5000 AWD lbs, and it will suck gas when floored. Drive it normally, and it gets great mileage.

I wish I got a bit more in the mileage dept with my SHO when it comes to around town driving I do normally...but then again I get about equal mileage with my Mustang...but I have AWD and the SHO weighs quite a bit more...and I have a lead foot

Blah, blah blah blah, blah blah blah, blah, blah blah................................ this tired discussion raises it's head every 6 weeks or so and lays back down for a nap.

If the whole damn system is so flawed, and Ford vehicles can't match the EPA estimates, why do I consistently get better than what's posted on the sticker in city, highway and combined?

Because you're lying, you're a fanboy, and you're lying and you're drinking the Kool-Aid, and also, Ford is lying, and the whole thing is suspicious. And also, because I have a computer, I'm an expert on all things without having to know anything at all about them because I have a computer.

• Like 3

It seems that the only people critics listen to are people who don't get good fuel economy,

they don't ever bother canvassing the opinions of the tens of thousands of happy Ecoboost owners.

The amount of Ecoboost F150s now in circulation is just staggering, if there was truly a problem, Ford wouldn't be selling so many.

Edited by jpd80

Call Ford and ask them. The numbers in the report speak for themselves. Direct competitors driven on the same day, same conditions with lower epa ratings clearly out perform the Cmax as far as gas mileage is concerned. Either Ford is gaming the test of Toyota is sandbagging. Take your pick. No one can throw CR under the bus this time.

curve ball, that same CR that created the Hurricane known as "Ford overstates their hybrid mileage ) has just completed ANOTHER test ( yes, SAME company ) comparing mileage at 55, 65, and 75....guess what, at 55 the Fusion Hybrid exceeded its EPA numbers....go figure......so, one side of CR tests one way, the other another way and results vary????????? Im stunned.....

• Like 1

Because you're lying, you're a fanboy, and you're lying and you're drinking the Kool-Aid, and also, Ford is lying, and the whole thing is suspicious. And also, because I have a computer, I'm an expert on all things without having to know anything at all about them because I have a computer.

Oh, OK.

How do I cure myself of this affliction.

I am a liar, but wait, if I'm a liar and I say I'm lying, that means I'm telling the truth, but I can't tell the truth because I'm a liar...

Please, get it right, I'm a fanman.

Sorry, I don't like Kool-Aid, at least not without vodka in it.

One thing I forgot, my mileage may vary.

Edited by transitman
  • Like 3