More recalls for Ford

We were building them today. With and without the glass roof.

Doesn't always mean that they are okay to sell, Ford could know what the fix is and know that it can be done at the dealer at a later date. This way they don't lose production because of it or have a dead zone in delivery of vehicles. I remember building trucks with no seats and driving them off the assembly line with milk crates. Ford Inventories are very very tight right now. Fusion can't get online fast enough and there is still a concern with Escape production, and you have the MKC that is going to take away some Escape volume.

I'd guess there was a miscommunication regarding a step in the assembly process. Notably, the panoramic roof models aren't being recalled and assembly hasn't been stopped. Also, the mention in the article regarding insufficient padding.

I'll try and look in to this more. It is a very vague article. I seriously doubt that it is a miscommunication in assembly.

I'd guess there was a miscommunication regarding a step in the assembly process. Notably, the panoramic roof models aren't being recalled and assembly hasn't been stopped. Also, the mention in the article regarding insufficient padding.

The pattern and amount of headliner glue always was a critical process for roof strength . It is a robotic process. However, glue drums have to be changed and glue gun tips have to be cleaned nightly. There also can be a problem

with cut ins(adding a unit in) or cut outs (removing a unit) when you run in-line vehicle scheduling. If done wrong the following units will be done wrong. You are also at risk of a wrong headliner pick from the vendor or material handling

can load the wrong rack of headliners into the robot yielding a large number of wrong headliners. In the system after installation, headliners can be damaged and have to be changed. A repair person may not follow the process to save

time. The units with the sunroofs have a different process as the glass installation process creates the roof strength. Similar process requirements are followed for windshield and backlite ( rear glass) install as they are critical for roof strength.

The computer controlled process can be thrown out of whack by a passing thunderstorm from a slight power outage. The shut down procedure has to be followed properly so you don't have glue drying on unistalled headliners over night or over the weekend.

Right. What I inferred from that was that this is that someone at Ford knew they needed to install additional padding before Job 1--because Ford performs the same tests the NHTSA performs--and that this adjustment to the assembly process wasn't implemented for some reason.

Edited by RichardJensen

Right. What I inferred from that was that this is that someone at Ford knew they needed to install additional padding before Job 1--because Ford performs the same tests the NHTSA performs--and that this adjustment to the assembly process wasn't implemented for some reason.

I agree with you 100%. Someone at Ford knew and I would bet it was on someones problem matrix. It just was not addressed. ...or ignored. The headliner installation process was a government mandated critical process and was audited

every shift by a process inspector. I am not familiar with the padding. I would have guessed it was part of the headliner itself.

Right. What I inferred from that was that this is that someone at Ford knew they needed to install additional padding before Job 1--because Ford performs the same tests the NHTSA performs--and that this adjustment to the assembly process wasn't implemented for some reaso

Headliner?! You know.... if your head is hitting the roof you've either NOT got your seatbelt on or you are in a world of trouble already...

Does the CMax have a rollover test?

I guess a convertible is even safer since there is no roof to hit your head on when the top is down... nothing but clear skies and unyielding blacktop...

Sorry if I offend... but this sounds a bit silly

Headliner?! You know.... if your head is hitting the roof you've either NOT got your seatbelt on or you are in a world of trouble already...

Does the CMax have a rollover test?

I guess a convertible is even safer since there is no roof to hit your head on when the top is down... nothing but clear skies and unyielding blacktop...

Sorry if I offend... but this sounds a bit silly

Safety is not "silly"!

I just performed this recall today. It really seems pointless. Basically I installed two energy absorbing plastic pads on back of headliner between a roof brace and headliner. Like it has been said, if your head hits this area, I don't think a crushable piece of plastic is going to help. The roof is so high, I just don't see how this is an issue.

Edited by fordtech1

Safety is not "silly"!

Please...

If they were truly serious about safety we'd all be strapped into our fitted seats like NASCAR or F1, wear helmets and fireproof suits. Everything we do now is a compromise; airbags, seatbelts (car type) etc... I'm not downplaying the advancements - but you need to figure out just how far you need to go.... uber padded headliner... a bit over the top to my view.

Safety is not "silly"!

But obsession about safety is very silly — and this is very silly. You need perspective. Watch the video below. See how much cars have improved? Compared to them good ol' days, today's sleds give incredible protection by design. To get a wedgie over some headliner padding is an obsessive problem, capisce? :)