Ford's Focus ST lures new crowd: the young and the affluent

Its funny, the main gripe people have when this car is discussed is the lack of AWD. While it would of course be great, it would also add a lot of weight, complexity, increase cost and reduce fuel economy. The amount of torque steer the car produces is quite manageable. I don't understand why all these pansies complain about that. Its just not that significant.

• Like 1

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131107/AUTO0102/311070017/1148/auto01/Ford-s-Focus-ST-lures-new-crowd-young-affluent

So thats where all those Lincoln buyers are going ;)

Interesting comment, I wound up buying the MKZ but cross-shopped the ST. Right after I took delivery I had a brief bout with buyers-remorse due to the ST. That remorse quickly waned however and I love the "Z".

You know, there's a rawness in the Focus and Fiesta ST that a lot of buyers still want. There are still a few 'drivers' out there who don't want the fastest car possible, they just want something that's fast and fun to drive. That means torque steer, a manual transmission, even a little body roll. I think it's one of the reasons the Miata is so incredibly popular. It's low tech! No AWD, no dual-clutch automated manual (just a 6 speed stick or a 6 speed slushbox auto), no torque vectoring, none of that. By every account it's a slow, poorly handling car compared to the 'high tech' sports cars of today. But, not everyone on the road is trying to get the best numbers. Sometimes it's just gotta be fun to drive! You really get a feel for what you're doing, it's possible to still get into a little trouble, the car reacts like it should instead of synthetically NOT reacting to make you a better driver than you actually are...

My $0.02 anyway. Sometimes it's fun to find one of those few-still-existing 'drivers car' that are more about the experience than the numbers.

• Like 1

A friend was looking at the Focus ST and drove one but ended up getting an Escape Titanium with all the goodies.

I drove the Fiesta and Focus ST's at the track and both are very fun to drive. We have a C-Max and it fits our needs but a Fiesta ST is the bomb.

AWD should be optional on the Focus but I wouldn't make it an across the board option, but more a trim line. A Focus with AWD, Heated Seats/Mirrors/Windshield, Rain sensing wipers would be a good car for the Pacific northwest, and northeast. I'm sure it would still pull 32/33mpg even with AWD. Subaru has no real competition in the bad weather category. Some people don't want SUV's

The ST however doesn't really need AWD other than for Snow and Weather.

AWD should be optional on the Focus but I wouldn't make it an across the board option, but more a trim line. A Focus with AWD, Heated Seats/Mirrors/Windshield, Rain sensing wipers would be a good car for the Pacific northwest, and northeast. I'm sure it would still pull 32/33mpg even with AWD. Subaru has no real competition in the bad weather category. Some people don't want SUV's

The ST however doesn't really need AWD other than for Snow and Weather.

And even then, it's not an issue unless you are powering on in conditions that warrant more prudent action.

Ultimately, there may be a AWD something built but is the market really expecting ST to have it now?

I don't think so, it just depends how much pull a competitor like the Golf really has on potential buyers.

I understand why the young and affluent up here by Seattle would want STs, both Fusion and Fiesta varieties: in the nicer neighborhoods and even the "safer" college areas, it's like a hot-hatch breeding ground. GTIs, Abarths, STs, etc. With the traffic congestion being what it is, you'd rarely have much chance to open up a "bigger" performance car.

By every account it's a slow, poorly handling car compared to the 'high tech' sports cars of today.

Anybody who has ever owned or driven one disagrees with you!

If any kind of hot, new metal claimed to be fun to drive over the last two decades, the only question that really mattered was, "How does it stack up against the Miata?"http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1207_high_performance_two_door_comparison/mustang_v6_mx_5_miata_scion_frs.html

I wonder how it would sell if there were (gasp!) an automatic (Non-DCT) version.

(Stick is not very commute friendly)

Take that a step further 2.0 EB and 6-speed auto from the Fusion?

I wonder if that becomes a low rider Escape in disguise........

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

? The ST has a 2.0 EB. (I was referring to an Auto ST)

Yeah and I was referring to the genuine 6-speed auto in the 2.0 EB Fusion (not DCT)

Why couldn't Ford NA use that unique combination in US Focus ST Auto...be that Hatch or S/W

I think Ford would be shocked at the potential take rate of a Focus ST Auto versus manual.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Yeah and I was referring to the genuine 6-speed auto in the 2.0 EB Fusion (not DCT)

Why couldn't Ford NA use that unique combination in US Focus ST Auto...be that Hatch or S/W

I think Ford would be shocked at the potential take rate of a Focus ST Auto versus manual.

Just my opinion but I think right now, Ford wants to build up the ST brand as a performance branding and they are going after a very specific demographic here in the US where the fact that the cars being available only with manual transmission has a positive cachet. An exclusive appeal to driving enthusiasts.

There is no technical reason why automatic is not offered so you have to really look at this as an deliberate marketing decision. I think automatic ST's day will come but you are probably looking at the next generation products once the persona of the ST brand is more established.

Edited by bzcat

Just my opinion but I think right now, Ford wants to build up the ST brand as a performance branding and they are going after a very specific demographic here in the US where the fact that the cars being available only with manual transmission has a positive cachet. An exclusive appeal to driving enthusiasts.

There is no technical reason why automatic is not offered so you have to really look at this as an deliberate marketing decision. I think automatic ST's day will come but you are probably looking at the next generation products once the persona of the ST brand is more established.

Thanks and I can understand that, it could be as simple as Focus ST manual is available world wide

and delivering a unique auto ST would take longer and cost Ford NA more because it doesn't exist elsewhere.

Focus on delivering a car that's already available and avoiding the development cost of an auto car

until feedback from the market tells them otherwise.

Edited by jpd80