Ford Says 70% of Models to Have Stop Start by '17

I had this on a car I rented in europe, I hated it. Every time I tried to start at a red light there was like a second delay. I mean it doesnt sound terrible but after a week or so it was really ticking me off!!!

What kind of car was it? Any delay would drive me nuts as well.

I've never driven a car with stop/start. Does anyone have any experience with a car in the US with this? Is it really noticeable?

Stop start is only active when the engine is warmed up. There are several other conditions also depending on the system used. One of the vehicles that I regularly drive has a stop start system. no delay on takeoff when it is enabled. All you really notice is that when the engine goes off things get a bit quieter.

Stop start is only active when the engine is warmed up. There are several other conditions also depending on the system used. One of the vehicles that I regularly drive has a stop start system. no delay on takeoff when it is enabled. All you really notice is that when the engine goes off things get a bit quieter.

Do you know how it behaves with remote start? Even after the engine is technically "warmed up" most of the time I use remote start to warm up the entire vehicle, not just the engine.

Do you know how it behaves with remote start? Even after the engine is technically "warmed up" most of the time I use remote start to warm up the entire vehicle, not just the engine.

I'm sure remote start disables stop/start since that would be counter productive.

Don't forget the 1.6L Fusion has offered stop/start for over a year now.

I'm sure remote start disables stop/start since that would be counter productive.

Don't forget the 1.6L Fusion has offered stop/start for over a year now.

Oh I know it has been around. I've just never dealt with it personally. I would assume it is overridden by remote start also, but just wanted concrete clarification.

I don't think stop/start will affect your remote start uses. The system monitors both the engine temperature and the climate control before deciding to turn off. So if the cabin's much colder than what the climate control is set to, the system will not turn off. Same is true for the summer, if the cabin's much warmer than the temp, the car will keep running so the A/C stays on.

Also, I have yet to see the car have stop/start kick in while the car is in park. If the car is in drive and the engine off (stop/start engaged), if I shift to park the engine turns back on. So either it does that by design or I've never left the car in park with conditions that merit stop/start kicking in.

I don't think stop/start will affect your remote start uses. The system monitors both the engine temperature and the climate control before deciding to turn off. So if the cabin's much colder than what the climate control is set to, the system will not turn off. Same is true for the summer, if the cabin's much warmer than the temp, the car will keep running so the A/C stays on.

Also, I have yet to see the car have stop/start kick in while the car is in park. If the car is in drive and the engine off (stop/start engaged), if I shift to park the engine turns back on. So either it does that by design or I've never left the car in park with conditions that merit stop/start kicking in.

Would make some sense that it would not turn off at all while in park. When in park, the vehicle should know that if you have the engine on at all, it's probably for a reason. Thanks for the info.

Edited by NickF1011

What kind of car was it? Any delay would drive me nuts as well.

I've never driven a car with stop/start. Does anyone have any experience with a car in the US with this? Is it really noticeable?

I've driven a BMW 5-series with the stop-start feature. I realize each company's system is a bit different (some are better than others, at least according to what I've read). To me, it was not that big of a deal.....I would notice that the engine turned off (it actually kinda shook a slight bit, which I thought was interesting), and there was a slight delay when removing your foot from the brake for it to start again, but it wasn't like you're sitting there for 5 seconds waiting for it to come back on.

One thing I thought of the other day regarding these systems: What does it do to battery life? Or is there a separate one used to keep everything on in the car while the engine is on?

One thing I thought of the other day regarding these systems: What does it do to battery life? Or is there a separate one used to keep everything on in the car while the engine is on?

I believe the system monitors battery charge and will re-start the engine before any major drain occurs.

Is there a ambient temperature range where it does not engage regardless of engine temp? It would make sense to disable it say below 0 F and above 90 F (or around there) to allow the interior heating/cooling systems to maintain cabin temps. imagine being in stop and go traffic at either extreme.

Most stop/start systems that I have seen are set up so that if heating or cooling are needed to reach a setpoint, the engine will run until setpoint is reached, Then start/stop normal operation will begin. Heating and cooling demand are one of the inputs.

And often there is another battery just for the stop/start system. JCI just unveiled a 42 V battery just for that purpose. It works with a belt driven starter/generator that charges the battery when the car is slowing down. With this small bit of energy recovery some are calling these systems micro hybrid.

it is not active until the engine reaches operating temp. when it does it will shut the motor off, and monitor temps to determine if the engine needs to be restarted.

if the AC is on it monitors the temps inside the vehicles to determine demand for AC. in Winter the engine (which runs at higher temperature than engine 4 years ago did. 212 degrees) will work to maintain engine temperature which by extension maintains interior temperature because warming the interior cools the engine.

therefore Stop-Start will not interfere with warming up the interior.

• Like 1

The start/stop feature seems to be like most other features, in that if it is done right, it is not terribly noticeable nor does it have much lag time. From what I've read, the starter and battery will typically have increased size and capacity to be able to handle the normal day-to-day usage of start/stop that is encountered by the _majority_ of the drivers. Also, it seems that Ford has done a very admirable job in implementing the stop/start feature, at least on the Fusion Hybrid, in a way to make it as smooth and unobtrusive as possible.