Minivans

swiftd03

I guess this isn't so much a competing product but more like a business that Ford got out of. Why doesn't Ford have a family van any more? I didn't even realize that Ford quit making them until I started shopping around and the closest thing on the Ford side is the Edge. Where did the minivan go?

I guess this isn't so much a competing product but more like a business that Ford got out of. Why doesn't Ford have a family van any more? I didn't even realize that Ford quit making them until I started shopping around and the closest thing on the Ford side is the Edge. Where did the minivan go?

The old Windstar was not kept competitive and Ford had better things to spend money on than an all new minivan platform that was competitive considering the market was shrinking. Instead Ford invested in crossovers like the Escape, Edge and Flex that had much better ROI.

Would a FWD Transit Tourneo with a standard 3.5L and optional 3.5EB have a chance as a Ford minivan?

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-A9JQeDtaDpk/T0Q1OykzhyI/AAAAAAAGxNM/HdA__hFWrYo/s1600-h/Ford-Tourneo-Custom-Concept-3%25255B2%25255D.jpg

I think it would be too big as a Minivan...works as a passenger van...and I don't see vans coming back like they where in 1970s ;)

We've had this discussion before, I believe.

Indeed. But automakers realize that Americans love to buy more than they really need, so vans and large SUV's will still be around for those who think they need them (even if they don't).

Heck, I don't even need my Edge for much of anything. It's usually just me or me and one other person in it.

Edited by NickF1011

Cargo aside, I'd also have to see how convenient infant/toddler/booster seats would be in the third row of a Flex (or Explorer or something like that). And how easily they stay in place.

Compared to a minivan? Probably not very convenient at all.

There is one more option, and it's Dawg red!

PULMOR%20TRAILER%20SUV.jpg

WE'VE HAD THIS DISCUSSION BEFORE! :soapbox:

Cargo aside, I'd also have to see how convenient infant/toddler/booster seats would be in the third row of a Flex (or Explorer or something like that). And how easily they stay in place.

I can say that booster seats work very well in the 3rd row of the Flex as long as the child can buckle him/herself in. I wouldn't want to have to get back there to buckle them in. Of course, I wouldn't want to do the same in a minivan either. From my experience, the Flex makes an excellent kid hauler. We've had ours for 5+ years and our kids are now 10, 8, and 5 (next week).

This is why I went with a minivan vs a crossover (well that and the sliding doors):

Chrysler_TownCountry_2014_Limited-cargo.

Perfect for kids and then drop the seats into the floor for the occasional Home Depot trip. 4x8 piece of plywood / sheetrock fits right in there....and since I've been doing that a lot, it certainly has helped. In my opinion, it is the perfect family vehicle because it is so versatile. YMMV.

I can say that booster seats work very well in the 3rd row of the Flex as long as the child can buckle him/herself in. I wouldn't want to have to get back there to buckle them in. Of course, I wouldn't want to do the same in a minivan either. From my experience, the Flex makes an excellent kid hauler. We've had ours for 5+ years and our kids are now 10, 8, and 5 (next week).

That's the thing... for at least the next seven years, we'll likely have at least one kid who can't buckle him/herself in yet. Current kids are 2 years and 3 months (and a couple more planned for after we move).

This is why I went with a minivan vs a crossover (well that and the sliding doors):

{snip}

Perfect for kids and then drop the seats into the floor for the occasional Home Depot trip. 4x8 piece of plywood / sheetrock fits right in there....and since I've been doing that a lot, it certainly has helped. In my opinion, it is the perfect family vehicle because it is so versatile. YMMV.

^ This. It would help for toting musical equipment and fishing poles around too, especially without a truck.

I'm not a fan of those stow-n-go seats, when I've ridden in them, and they seem to create a lot more crevices for crumbs---and rare is the minivan that looks that clean even ten minutes after being driven off a dealer lot.

And that's why I'm not working for a manufacturer designing minivans.

Though their exterior design isn't great, Honda's got you covered.

2014_Honda_Odyssey_Touring_Elite-02-626x

That's the thing... for at least the next seven years, we'll likely have at least one kid who can't buckle him/herself in yet. Current kids are 2 years and 3 months (and a couple more planned for after we move).

^ This. It would help for toting musical equipment and fishing poles around too, especially without a truck.

Though their exterior design isn't great, Honda's got you covered.

Yeah, you're gonna need a minivan. :)

• Like 1