Minivans

swiftd03

Wait, I thought this was a guys-only (+ Extreme4x4 aka Gloria) site? You haven't given your wife your password to BOF, have you? If so, it doesn't matter WHAT husbandly secrets I reveal...it's already too late for you! :)

My wife barely knows BOF exists and wouldn't trouble herself to come here anyway.

... as far as I know...

I'm not a fan of those stow-n-go seats, when I've ridden in them, and they seem to create a lot more crevices for crumbs---and rare is the minivan that looks that clean even ten minutes after being driven off a dealer lot.

And that's why I'm not working for a manufacturer designing minivans.

Credit to Honda for offering a built-in vacuum cleaner. Chrysler seems to have lost its edge in innovating in that segment.

Ford Transit Connect Wagon is coming in the market soon. Dealer said in April 14.

It is smaller than the norm minivans and more fuel efficient.

But is will be stripped down version when first enter market, I say. No power sliding doors and power liftgate. And the MFT screen will be smaller similar to Ford's small cars.

post-24977-0-21599000-1388787045_thumb.jpg

post-24977-0-79222400-1388787078_thumb.jpg

I didn't even realize that Ford quit making them ...

That's basically why Ford got out of the market.

This and the last 2 Ford minivans, the Windstar and Freestar, were quality disasters ! Failed head gasket and intake manifold gaskets on the 3.8L and 4.2L engines. Frequent failures of the AX4N and AX4S transmissions. Rear axle and front sub-frame failures due to rust.

Ford pumped a lot of money in to designing the Freestar, but it was much too little, much too late. Anyone associated with either of those design teams wiped it from their resume !

If Ford ever figures out how to appease the FTC and import the Transit Connect with the "chicken tax" (which does not apply to the passenger van version), it will be marketed as their new mini-van. It could capture some of the Honda Element owners who were dumped. Ford should make AWD an option, along with EcoBoost.

Edited by theoldwizard

Wait, I thought this was a guys-only (+ Extreme4x4 aka Gloria) site? You haven't given your wife your password to BOF, have you? If so, it doesn't matter WHAT husbandly secrets I reveal...it's already too late for you! :)

My daughter chauffeurs her 4 pre-schoolers around in an Expedition EL because she refused to drive a minivan ! Great hauler !! it holds 4 adults and 4 kids and plenty of storage for a twin's stroller, twin size diaper bag, 2 portable high chairs, a "pack and play", and enough formula and food for the babies for a day !

Yes, when she come to our house with the kids, it is an "expedition" !!

Edited by theoldwizard
  • Like 2

If Ford ever figures out how to appease the FTC and import the Transit Connect with the "chicken tax" (which does not apply to the passenger van version), it will be marketed as their new mini-van. It could capture some of the Honda Element owners who were dumped. Ford should make AWD an option, along with EcoBoost.

Um Ford does import the TC as a passenger van, then guts them and turns them into cargo vans when they get into Baltimore.

http://bp3.ford.com/2014-Ford-TransitConnect?branding=1&lang=en#/Models/Style%5BBodyStyle:_136A620DD4A60139F42B612500000000%5D

Yes they are getting bit in the ass by the FTC with the chicken tax maneuver they tried doing with stripping them into cargo vans, but they ARE Vans/Wagons

Um Ford does import the TC as a passenger van, then guts them and turns them into cargo vans when they get into Baltimore.

For now !

Ford gets a scolding on 'chicken tax' maneuver

In doing so, Ford hoped to save thousands of dollars in tariffs per unit on the cargo version, which starts at $23,420, including shipping. Small passenger vans, like cars, face a 2.5 percent import tariff in the United States, compared with the 25 percent tariff on cargo vans.

In the Jan. 30 decision, U.S. customs officials told Ford to stop.

Well obviously Ford is paying that fine or something, that was from January of last year!

Also, Ford taken to task by gov't for Chicken Tax end-around %5BUPDATE%5D

But the ruling against Ford's strategy states that it "serves no manufacturing or commercial purpose" and is there to "manipulate the tariff schedule," ...[/size]. As Ford's appeal goes through, it is importing the Transit Connect and paying the higher tax, (25% !) hoping for a favorable outcome and planning to build the next-generation Transit Connect, which it plans to launch before the end of the year, in Spain.[/size]

Not likely going to sell many (any?) commercial van version with a 25% tax on them !

Edited by theoldwizard

• 2 weeks later...

While we don't need it right away, I think a minivan makes a lot of sense for a family with intentions to continue growing. I am interested in the Transit Connect Wagon, but it seems to be held up a bit and will be lacking many of the convenience options popular among minivans like intelligent access, power sliding doors and hatch, and rear seat entertainment options. I'm not sure those would be enough to keep it off of my list, but my wife says it's too boxy and commercial to be a family vehicle. We'll see. On top of that, the Titanium TCW to reasonably comparably equipped full-size minivan price delta is only on the order of $2-4,000. Yes, that's about 10% more, but the larger size, substantially more powerful and capable engine, and more established foothold in the market could keep the TCW from making significant headway, at least for the 7-passenger version as a minivan alternative.

I went to the Washington Auto Show over the weekend and looked at the minivan options. Without driving them, the Honda wins hands down from an interior and practicality standpoint. I'd put the ChryCo. models next, then Toyota and Nissan. I was surprised at how inadequate the interior of the Sienna was--low quality dash and the 8th seat (2nd row middle) is this removable contraption that seemed like an uncomfortable afterthought. It surprises me how many of the minivans lack the 2nd row middle seat considering it's the best spot for a car seat/small child. Also, why are top of the line minivans $45k without having ventilated seats when their CUV counterparts offer these? Hopefully someone will get on that by the time I decide to buy.