Ford January sales dip 7%, Lincoln up 43%

PREMiERdrum

I have a hard time believing that Ram lease price (unless it is one truck as a loss leader in one dealership...that's on the dealership, not Chrysler).

In other news, here's the January incentives estimates.

Ford is still tops on incentives, GM second and Chrysler third for the Big 3.

Average incentives January 2014:

Ford: $3,264
GM: $2,792
Chrysler: $2,776

post-6726-0-00853100-1391526296.png

post-6726-0-00853100-1391526296_thumb.png

Edited by Intrepidatious

I wish they would break down the incentives by vehicle. I'm curious where the big Ford incentives are coming from. In the past it was Panther but not any more.

I'm sure it's mostly F-150's. With that large variance with the other Big 3 manufacturers (~$500), it's gotta be something big volume.

Currently, I know the '14 Fusion, Escape and the Explorer have $2k on the hood, the Mustang has $3k and most everything in the stable has 0% financing up to 4 or 5 years...which I believe seems to be mostly in parity with other manufacturers.

Edited by Intrepidatious

I wish they would break down the incentives by vehicle. I'm curious where the big Ford incentives are coming from. In the past it was Panther but not any more.

Exactly! When you are offering $5k+ on a vehicle that sells 750k copies per year, that's gonna bump your average per vehicle up considerably!

LINCOLN sales were so good for the month because dealers were literally CLEARING out leftover 13's. Two of my neighbors got MKX's with $8,000 in rebates and the other leased his for $30 LESS/month (same exact lease terms) than I leased my Edge Sport with D-Plan for and his was $51K. Our dealer had 15 MKX's and sold them all in a week and a half once the rebates hit the newspaper.

2013 F150 XLTs double cab had up to $10,000 incentives on a $38,000 truck provided you bought leased it ...

It's also surprisingly low for the GM twins--is there some kind of supply constraint, or do people just not want Chebbie/GMC trucks?

It probably doesn't help that you have do a double-take to tell whether the Chevrolet or GMC pickup is a 2013 or a 2014 model.

I passed one the other day, and had to look twice to make sure that it was a 2014 model. I can understand GM's desire to avoid alienating loyal customers, but it may have erred on the side of caution in this case.

One thought about the incentives...hasn't Ford been selling more expensive vehicles as of late? So getting off 2K on a 35K Fusion isn't as a big deal as one that is being sold for 25K with the same incentives...

Well, and that's where you have this odd dichotomy where Chrysler's spending the least on incentives, but has the lowest margin of the "big three"

It probably doesn't help that you have do a double-take to tell whether the Chevrolet or GMC pickup is a 2013 or a 2014 model.

I asked a Chevy fan about it, and he said he thinks this was the root cause. Someone I know from a non-automotive forum (who is basically brand-agnostic when it comes to trucks) said he thinks it's because the new GM twins are butt-ugly and have lousy sight lines from within the cab.

Well, and that's where you have this odd dichotomy where Chrysler's spending the least on incentives, but has the lowest margin of the "big three"

How do sales to fleet customers factor in determining the level of incentives offered by a company? Quite a few Chrysler models have a huge percentage going to rental car companies - particularly the Dodge Avenger and current Chrysler 200. I can't imagine that those are very high-margin sales.

I asked a Chevy fan about it, and he said he thinks this was the root cause. Someone I know from a non-automotive forum (who is basically brand-agnostic when it comes to trucks) said he thinks it's because the new GM twins are butt-ugly and have lousy sight lines from within the cab.

The GM twins aren't that bad-looking in real life. The Chevy pickups from the early 2000s were much uglier, in my opinion, than the current version.

How do sales to fleet customers factor in determining the level of incentives offered by a company? Quite a few Chrysler models have a huge percentage going to rental car companies - particularly the Dodge Avenger and current Chrysler 200. I can't imagine that those are very high-margin sales.

I'm pretty sure the incentives are strictly for retail and what Ford calls 'fleetail' (which is when a local contractor buys, like three vans, or something).

The large fleet purchases are negotiated privately between Ford and buyers, or are subject to bids which would be very difficult to roll into average incentive tallies (but which, presumably, would have dealer cash incentives included). Or are products that are not offered to the public (e.g. police package vehicles).

My expectation is that the various incentive tallying services submit surveys to dealers and aggregate those results. Some might be getting manufacturer data.

• Like 1

No release yet for January's sales (these are December's numbers), but here's ATP's for each manufacturer. All Big 3 above industry average, who most likely destroy the curve. (I consider Volkswagen is an anomaly since they include Porsche and Audi and the VW brand has such a small market share to bring the avg down).

Wonder what is giving GM a higher ATP then Ford? Combo of Pickups / Large SUV's / Cadillacs? (edit: noticed it was the same last year as well)

post-6726-0-89210300-1391534431.png

post-6726-0-89210300-1391534431_thumb.png

Edited by Intrepidatious

No release yet for January's sales (these are December's numbers), but here's ATP's for each manufacturer. All Big 3 above industry average, who most likely destroy the curve. (I consider Volkswagen is an anomaly since they include Porsche and Audi and the VW brand has such a small market share to bring the avg down).

Wonder what is giving GM a higher ATP then Ford? Combo of Pickups / Large SUV's / Cadillacs? (edit: noticed it was the same last year as well)

post-6726-0-89210300-1391534431.png

SUVs and Cadillac would be my guess.

Whats really interesting is that chart with VW group...you'd think it would be MUCH higher with Audi and Porsche on the list.

Without Porsche and Audi, they'd be significantly lower. Impressive how high Ford manages to keep theirs without even offering a full (competitive anyway) luxury lineup yet.