Its official: the 2015 Focus is getting the Ecoboost 1.0

So, there's a good chance it's going to be viewed as a downgrade at an upgrade price here.

That might be true, but for the type of buyer they're trying to get with these, they may be just as likely to see it as an upgrade. It's not an upgrade to a car guy, but to a person who's interested in getting the gas mileage (hypermilers, f'rinstance), maybe it is. After all, Ford is selling Foci as premium cars now; who'd have thought, just a few years ago, that you could get north of $30K for a compact?

Edited by SoonerLS

Regarding the bolded part, I don't mean to sound like Richard, but... sources?

No source on actual numbers, but I don't get any indication from Ford that they are planning to change the pricing strategy on those vehicles (in fact, they are expanding it to other vehicles as is being discussed here), so whatever volumes they are getting, it appears, at least for now, they are comfortable with them.

In other markets, the 1.0EB is replacing the NA 1.6. I get that. However, there is no such replacement happening in the US where the least powerful engine is the NA 2.0. So, there's a good chance it's going to be viewed as a downgrade at an upgrade price here.

When you pay more for a hybrid (and, not to drag out another thread's argument, but a diesel also), you're also subsidizing the development and the complexity of the powerplant. There's no added complexity with an engine that's missing a cylinder (by default, there's less).

One more thing... reviews that I read, particularly from Autoblog, state that the 1.0EB uses premium (required) in Europe. Will that be the case here?

It has nothing to do with production costs and everything to do with marketing. Ford believes customers are willing to pay extra for better fuel efficiency so they're charging more. The engine itself is much more complex than a NA engine even if it has one less cylinder. In the past the only real difference between engines was power and bigger was better and more desirable to the general public. Today fuel efficiency has become even more important to the average buyer than hp, thus the upcharge.

It has nothing to do with production costs and everything to do with marketing. Ford believes customers are willing to pay extra for better fuel efficiency so they're charging more. The engine itself is much more complex than a NA engine even if it has one less cylinder. In the past the only real difference between engines was power and bigger was better and more desirable to the general public. Today fuel efficiency has become even more important to the average buyer than hp, thus the upcharge.

In the past, too, there was the understanding that, with ICEs, the less powerful yet more efficient engine was also the cheaper option. There's going to have to be a huge paradigm shift with a powerplant that doesn't have the whiz-bang factor of a hybrid or the hipster factor of a small diesel. I mean, if it works out for Ford, great. If it doesn't, this will be my surprised face. smiley-mellow.png

Also, you mention the "average buyer." Interestingly enough, today the "average buyer" can't drive manual. Also, unless something changes between the European engine and what we get (which I would expect to have implications for the rated power and efficiency of the engine), the "average buyer" doesn't like paying for premium fuel.

For consistency's sake, I also called it a dumb idea as it applied to the Taurus, Edge, and Explorer. Not the engine, just the pricing.

Regarding the bolded part, I don't mean to sound like Richard, but... sources?

there another way of looking at it, it IS an upgrade to the 1.6 in the Fiestas sake, torque takes a nice bump, and then theres the fact a Manual eco will come in almost the SAME $ as a DCT 1.6.....so, in some ways its a wash, the Auto runs basically the same as the 1.0...

In the past, too, there was the understanding that, with ICEs, the less powerful yet more efficient engine was also the cheaper option. There's going to have to be a huge paradigm shift with a powerplant that doesn't have the whiz-bang factor of a hybrid or the hipster factor of a small diesel. I mean, if it works out for Ford, great. If it doesn't, this will be my surprised face. smiley-mellow.png

Also, you mention the "average buyer." Interestingly enough, today the "average buyer" can't drive manual. Also, unless something changes between the European engine and what we get (which I would expect to have implications for the rated power and efficiency of the engine), the "average buyer" doesn't like paying for premium fuel.

interestingly there was an article i read stating people would be BETTER drivers if they drove stick shifts...something I COMPLETELY agree with...

• Like 2

interestingly there was an article i read stating people would be BETTER drivers if they drove stick shifts...something I COMPLETELY agree with...

Well, with a stick you certainly have to maintain a slightly more active connection with your vehicle...and it's far more difficult to hold things in your hands while doing so.

• Like 2

Every Ecoboost engine will run on regular, the result is a slight reduction of full throttle torque and Horsepower in Overboost mode.

I'll put this as simply as I can, you can get an EB 1.0 Fiesta SE for under $17,000

so an Ecoboost 1.0 in a Focus SE for just under $20K that gets around 30/44 mpg

and costs around $4,000 or $5,00 less than a Prius hybrid or Diesel Cruze.

Only offering it with a manual means one of 3 things (or a combination)

They haven't had time to certify the automatic version

The automatic tranny isn't ready yet

There is a supply problem with the 1.0L so they can't afford to sell a lot of them yet

I'm leaning towards the last one.

In the past, gas wasn't close to $4/gallon. In the past nobody would have paid much extra for a hybrid or BEV vehicle because gas was cheap. And Ford has already been down this road with the Fusion 1.6L EB and Fiesta 1.0L EB so I'm assuming they know what they're doing here.

there another way of looking at it, it IS an upgrade to the 1.6 in the Fiestas sake, torque takes a nice bump, and then theres the fact a Manual eco will come in almost the SAME $ as a DCT 1.6.....so, in some ways its a wash, the Auto runs basically the same as the 1.0...

Because of all that, I have no problem with the engine in the Fiesta at all.

What's funny is that I know bad auto drivers and good manual drivers... and I have seen good auto drivers and bad manual drivers. It all depends on the space between the ears, not the activity of the limbs. ;)

In the past, gas wasn't close to $4/gallon. In the past nobody would have paid much extra for a hybrid or BEV vehicle because gas was cheap. And Ford has already been down this road with the Fusion 1.6L EB and Fiesta 1.0L EB so I'm assuming they know what they're doing here.

Prius sales were taking off years before gas first spiked to $4/gal back in 2008. The introduction of the 2nd-gen bodystyle definitely helped them.

Fusion 1.6EB is an easy upgrade from the 2.5 because it's more powerful AND more efficient. Same with the 1.0EB against the 1.6 in the Fiesta. There's no such comparison to be had with the Focus.

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

I don't see people buying a Focus or Fiesta non-ST model looking at hp. I think you're underestimating the number of folks who would be willing to pay extra for better fuel economy.

They'll pay extra if it's an appreciable increase with little to no sacrifice in driveability, I'd wager (or, in the case of full hybrids, a dramatic increase). I mean, you can already approach 40 mpg highway in most Focuses not named ST. I don't think 43 (arbitrary number, but work with me) would get it for the extra money, especially if you have to hypermile to see those numbers.

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

Edit,

the Fact that Ford sees a valid business case to add incremental product is vindication enough.

In other parts of the world, the 1.0 EB replaces 1.6 TiVCT for a power and economy improvement.

Ford's had some recent fails where they thought they had business cases before. It is very possible that this is another, which is why we'll wait and see.

And in the Focus here, what is the engine replacing? There's no engine below the 2.0 in the Focus, so it's not a straight-across comparison.

OR -- and I just thought of this -- what if the engine is a CAFE grab? :idea:

Ford's had some recent fails where they thought they had business cases before. It is very possible that this is another, which is why we'll wait and see.

And in the Focus here, what is the engine replacing? There's no engine below the 2.0 in the Focus, so it's not a straight-across comparison.

OR -- and I just thought of this -- what if the engine is a CAFE grab? :idea:

I think it would be stupid NOT to think that this move is highly influenced by CAFE in every vehicle.

Ford has several years of experience pricing and marketing the EB engines, so it's not like this is uncharted territory.

And as I already pointed out, they may be TRYING to limit sales volume of the new engine due to supply constraints or other issues.

Either way, I presume they know what they're doing and if it doesn't work out the way they planned then it's easy enough to change.

It could be foolish, depending on the price of diesel in your area and the actual price of the upcharge.

Ding ding ding!!

The upcharge for a diesel is usually an order of magnitude more than for an EB. You know, like 3-5k vs 1k.

When you pay extra for fuel economy with an EB, you don't have the 20-30% premium you have to pay for the fuel like you do with a diesel.