I have heard whispers about the 2015 Lincoln MKX - some say a 3rd row will be an option, Maybe built on the explorer platform -

Will the grill be downsized to what the MKS and MKT ? Anyone know when it will be available ?

Phil

Given the MKX's primary competitor, the Lexux RX, has managed to become the best-selling luxury vehicle in the US, I don't think Lincoln will stray from its current formula too much and will remain relatively similar to its Edge sibling. If a 3-row CUV arrives, I would expect it to be a more outright MKT replacement/Explorer sibling.

...Anyone know when it will be available ?

Phil

from what I've read

On Sale = early 2015cy...as a 2016my

shown = Q4 2014cy, either LAIAS or a separate 'event'

...tho it could wait for NAIAS2015; there were rumors that Detroit would feature an MKS Concept

Isn't it expected that Edge and Explorer will both be on CD4 eventually?

Yup

CD4.2 for Edge, CD4+(3) for Explorer

I'm hoping Lincoln gets a 3-row CD4+ is a new Aviator

actually regardless of platform, I hope an under 200" ovl 3-row is a new Aviator

&

along with the ultralight nextgen Navi, eliminates the MKT by "bracketing" its supposed niche

...but leave the X close to what it is

I recon you could bash a Lincoln grille on the Flex and get better sales than the MKT,

the squared off lines of Flex look more Lincoln like to me than the rounded MKT

AFAIK, there was a proposal to do the original D3 Freestyle in Aluminum so perhaps there's

a possibility that Explorer's successor is in fact an aluminum evolution of the vehicle?

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I doubt it, the D3 has design issues that would be easier to address by modifying the CD3 platform, then evolving a design that's well over 15 years old. The biggest issue is the interior space and footwells on the platform. My mustang handles that better then my SHO does.

Isn't it expected that Edge and Explorer will both be on CD4 eventually? I could see MKX as a LWB Edge if the next Navigator ends up being less of an escalade and more of a range rover.

I think there's plenty of room for 4 SUV/CUV's in the Lincoln lineup (2-row MKC, 2-row MKX, 3-row "Aviator", and 3-row Navigator), especially if the next-gen Navigator takes a Range Rover-type leap in content and pricing while the "Aviator" remains basically a fancier Explorer.

^ hmm... the way you phrased that thumb.gif makes me wonder if things might work out something like:

MKC = entry 2-row with pleather

MKX = delux 2-row with genuine dead-cow-skin

AviaTor = entry 3-row with pleather

Navigator = delux 3-row with genuine dead-cow-skin

ps

heard a rumor the X will resemble the styling of the C

wonder if the Aviator will resemble the nextgen ultralight Navi?

& which will arrive first?

it could be based on this product.

2015 S-max

It would turn out like MKT Part Deux.

MKX has done well as it is. With a similar level of upgrades the next Edge is getting, there's no reason to suspect it wouldn't do even better. Why would they go and completely change the formula for something that actually works for a brand that has struggled to find things that work for so long?

And 2b2, I doubt anything more expensive than the MKC will be fitted with anything but real leather. Even on the MKC, it's limited to the base trim levels.

well, Mr.Shmoderator wink.gif

there were some posts that the new pleather (aka "Luxury Soft Touch") is/might be soooo good that the installers think all the seats are Leather (aka dead-cow-skin)

&

re: S-Max

there was speculation the US-version could be another Hybrid/Energi-Only deal

Buick Encore has been doing very well, now some others are rushing to bring out their own tiny-CUV, wonder if Ford will allow Lincoln to have a luxury small SUV slotted under the MKC...

there is a consensus on this forum that Lincoln doesn't need small cars, I think they are wrong since every other luxury brand is make small cars now.

Edited by Biker16

there is a consensus on this forum that Lincoln doesn't need small cars, I think they are wrong since every other luxury brand is make small cars now.

I don't know if I'd say the consensus is that Lincoln doesn't need them, but more that there are more important components to the lineup that should be addressed first, especially when the brand image is where it currently is. Once that's settled, then Lincoln could venture more into smaller vehicles.

it could be based on this product.

2015 S-max

2013-Ford-S-MAX-Concept-11.jpg

Actually that does look really nice. That would almost work as a Lincoln the way it is as there is no Ford version here. (The CMax issues and tumbling sales would probably stop other "Max" cars from showing up here.)

The Ford grille looks great on it though. I'm not sure how the Lincoln look would work on it though.

Buick Encore has been doing very well, now some others are rushing to bring out their own tiny-CUV, wonder if Ford will allow Lincoln to have a luxury small SUV slotted under the MKC...

30k sales in the US and about 100k overall world wide isn't exactly what I call very well, given that Buick doesn't offer a small or mid sized CUV offering either, just the full sized enclave.

• Like 1

Ahem. The concensus is more that Lincoln needs other things more urgently than a small car right now. They can, and likely will, add one at some point, but it's not a priority, and nor do most of us think it should be.

Edited by NickF1011

Then if thats the case, the MKZ isn't selling "very well" either if thats the measuring stick we are using to justify a successful product.

The MKZ also costs $12k more and the Escape is 2k cheaper and larger then the Enclave, with similar interior refinement.

Point is Buick isn't really Lincoln, it's more like a higher trim level Ford.

30k sales in the US and about 100k overall world wide isn't exactly what I call very well, given that Buick doesn't offer a small or mid sized CUV offering either, just the full sized enclave.

"while 97,311 were sold globally (not counting its counterparts from Opel and Vauxhall).

While we liked the Encore when we first drove it, we'll admit, we weren't sure how the tiny CUV would do. In fact, the first thing Executive Editor Chris Paukert wrote about the Encore was, "We admit it. We have no earthly idea how this whole thing is going to shake out." But it's done well, and has been subject to heavy demand over the past year, blowing away the estimates of analysts, who, according to an August story fromAutomotive News, projected no more than 18,500 units would be sold in 2013.

"Right out of the gate, demand for the Encore was high," Tony DiSalle, vice president of Buick marketing said in a statement. "It accounted for most of the segment's growth last year and that's because it offers the right safety, technology and features in the right-sized vehicle for many customers.""

Wow they took a strategic risk, and it paid off.

Ahem. The concensus is more that Lincoln needs other things more urgently than a small car right now. They can, and likely will, add one at some point, but it's not a priority, and nor do most of us think it should be.

look at it this way, buick sold 30k encores in North america, and 70k in china.

what is a better investment for Lincoln a mid-sized car that sell 45k world wide or a smaller car that can sell 100k world wide. It maybe difficult for Lincoln to go global if is only focused on cars for the US market.

The MKZ also costs $12k more and the Escape is 2k cheaper and larger then the Enclave, with similar interior refinement.

Point is Buick isn't really Lincoln, it's more like a higher trim level Ford.

how is Lincoln more than a higher trim level ford? Lincoln shares more with ford than Buick does with other GM products.

Oh trust me, there's quite a bit Lincoln needs right now, Flagship sedan, mid-size sports sedan, coupe-possible convertible, midsize CUV/SUV to replace the "not selling very well" MKT... I think we can all agree though, it doesnt need a pick-up truck...Ford got that taken care of :)

• Like 1