Lincoln Teases (Likely) MKX Concept to debut in China

I posted a link earlier about ford spending money at Oakville for an all new Edge..

Yes - and it doesn't say cd4 or have any dates as to when the new Edge may be launched.

Look - I'm not saying it WON'T be CD4 just that Ford hasn't confirmed that it WILL be cd4 or when - yet.

Yes - and it doesn't say cd4 or have any dates as to when the new Edge may be launched.

Look - I'm not saying it WON'T be CD4 just that Ford hasn't confirmed that it WILL be cd4 or when - yet.

If you want to be that skeptical, you could say they're considering cancelling the Edge because they haven't said when it will launch. :P :P :stirpot:

Where are the production dates for the 2015 Edge? Where is the real pre-production prototype? Throw in the S-max spy shots and yes, I'm a little skeptical about the platform in general and specifically about seeing a brand new cd4 based 2015 edge this year due to the lack of information. Is it possible? Of course. Just seems very strange.

I'm a great proponent of paranoia Hide.gif

&but

the old Xedge has an 111.2 wheelbase

the new Zfusion's & old Mondeo's are 112.2

the old Xedge was only loosely related to CD3

maybe the new ones will be sorta CD4-ish

AND maybe they old ones were too?

Nonsense. If this were a rear-wheel-drive crossover based on the Panther platform and styled to look like a 1979 Continental Town Car, Ford wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand. Correct?

You're right, of course. After all, people who can say anything they want without consequence are the most serious and what do the people whose careers depend on knowing something know anyway?

• Like 1

If the products at Oakville were continuing on CD3 and D3 then Ford would not be gutting the place and spending $700 million.

Rest assured that this is no comb over on an existing platform. - Ford is calling it an "All new Global Edge".......LINK

New jobs in Oakville will create employment

opportunities for our laid off members. There

will be a third shift introduced in the body

shop, the paint shop and pre-trim (BAMR),

creating 230 jobs in 2013. We’ve also been

able to insource 20 after-market jobs (Crown).

In 2014 with the launch of the CD4.2 platform

that was negotiated in 2009, 300 more new

jobs will be added to the plant, in addition to

50 more new in-sourced sub assembly jobs.

http://www.caw199.com/pdf/2012FORDREPORT.pdf

New jobs in Oakville will create employment

opportunities for our laid off members. There

will be a third shift introduced in the body

shop, the paint shop and pre-trim (BAMR),

creating 230 jobs in 2013. We’ve also been

able to insource 20 after-market jobs (Crown).

In 2014 with the launch of the CD4.2 platform

that was negotiated in 2009, 300 more new

jobs will be added to the plant, in addition to

50 more new in-sourced sub assembly jobs.

http://www.caw199.com/pdf/2012FORDREPORT.pdf

Thank you for the CAW quote from Gary Beck (Ford Master Bargaining Committee Chairperson and CAW Local 707 President)

I think that proves pretty conclusively that the new Edge was always planned to be on CD4.2 and everything is on plan to do just that.

I wonder how many more products will follow Edge and MKX, Please, please let Flex and MKT be new extended versions of this platform.

Edited by jpd80

Thank you for the CAW quote from Gary Beck (Ford Master Bargaining Committee Chairperson and CAW Local 707 President)

I think that proves pretty conclusively that the new Edge was always planned to be on CD4.2 and everything is on plan to do just that.

I wonder how many more products will follow Edge and MKX, Please, please let Flex and MKT be new extended versions of this platform.

The "new" Flex has already debuted as the Explorer. The new MKT will likely follow the same path. I doubt either one is getting a direct replacement, which is fine given their dismal sales volumes.

I agree that's been the plan all along but that article was from September 2012.

I'm only questioning the timing of the launch of a new cd4.2 based edge or mkx. If the Edge is launching as a 2015 model then job 1 should be in September/October at the latest. That's less than 6 months away and I've seen nothing on it.

I haven't seen any ordering/production dates. No order guides. No real pre-production prototypes. Nothing.

My guess is it will be delayed until at least next Spring and debut as a 2016 model.

I agree that's been the plan all along but that article was from September 2012.

I'm only questioning the timing of the launch of a new cd4.2 based edge or mkx. If the Edge is launching as a 2015 model then job 1 should be in September/October at the latest. That's less than 6 months away and I've seen nothing on it.

I haven't seen any ordering/production dates. No order guides. No real pre-production prototypes. Nothing.

My guess is it will be delayed until at least next Spring and debut as a 2016 model.

Probably haven't seen much because there isn't much interest in finding it out there. Cobbled together mules and prototypes is all we saw of several vehicles until just months prior to launch. This doesn't have people chasing after it for a "scoop" like something like the Mustang would, after all.

The "new" Flex has already debuted as the Explorer. The new MKT will likely follow the same path. I doubt either one is getting a direct replacement, which is fine given their dismal sales volumes.

It's a shame that the Flex never caught on with customers. I test drove a couple at the Ford Nationals in Carlisle. The seats are very comfortable, and the seating position and ease of entry and exit are top-notch. The interior is roomy and the visibility is excellent.

I like the styling, but apparently most potential customers didn't.

• Like 1

It's a shame that the Flex never caught on with customers. I test drove a couple at the Ford Nationals in Carlisle. The seats are very comfortable, and the seating position and ease of entry and exit are top-notch. The interior is roomy and the visibility is excellent.

It's polarizing for sure. I kinda dig it, but I think the biggest thing working against it is its size. Just really not much of a market for a full-size, low-slung, wagon-type vehicle. People looking for something that size are typically going to gravitate toward full-size SUVs or minivans.

I think it may have done better if it was more similarly sized to the original Fairlane concept which, if I recall, was more closely sized to the Edge with only 2 rows of seats.

Water under the bridge now though either way.

Agreed! We love ours and it works great for hauling our 3 kiddos around. My wife always wanted an Explorer until she drove a Flex. She hated the exterior at the time, but the interior sold her. Ours is one of the first one's, so the Explorer at the time was the previous gen. I asked her the other day if she were to get a new vehicle today, would it be an Explorer or a Flex and she said the Flex. Whenever I hear the Flex is making it's last round, we may try to get into a new one.

• Like 2

Probably haven't seen much because there isn't much interest in finding it out there. Cobbled together mules and prototypes is all we saw of several vehicles until just months prior to launch. This doesn't have people chasing after it for a "scoop" like something like the Mustang would, after all.

I'm not as concerned about mules or prototypes as I am about the lack of production dates. Those are usually announced several months in advance along with the draft order guide.

I'm not as concerned about mules or prototypes as I am about the lack of production dates. Those are usually announced several months in advance along with the draft order guide.

Production dates for the Mustang are even still up in the air, and that's due to go on sale earlier.

Besides, wouldn't a later-than-expected production date be an even stronger indication that it's on the new platform and not just a refresh of CD3?

Yes! I already conceded that point. My issue now is I don't think the 2015 Edge is going to arrive this year as expected. I think it's being delayed until early next year.

We knew months ago (maybe even late 2013) that the 2015 Mustang was scheduled for production this fall. We have no such information on the 2015 Edge.

Yes! I already conceded that point. My issue now is I don't think the 2015 Edge is going to arrive this year as expected. I think it's being delayed until early next year.

We knew months ago (maybe even late 2013) that the 2015 Mustang was scheduled for production this fall. We have no such information on the 2015 Edge.

Again, Mustang information was a lot more valuable to the media, thus far more resources were likely dedicated toward finding it. There's still a lot of time left in the year. And it's not like there are NO spy shots of it out there:

spyshots-2015-ford-edge_1.jpg

2015-ford-edges-spy-photo-photo-546598-s

Looking pretty darn close to production-ready to me.

Edited by NickF1011

<SIGH>

Nick - this isn't about leaks. It's about published dates and info from Ford for dealers and the factory about when the order banks open, when production starts, etc. etc. That's typically communicated a few months ahead of time internally to dealers.

And we should have seen a pre-production prototype by now, not a hand built fake concept car.

Not saying it's impossible, but at this point it's highly unlikely we'll see a 2015 Edge before the end of this year.