Navigator's final price and hp

Damn, that's some good power. I assume that's on 93 octane. 91 octane will probably lower the power to 380/ 440 (we can't get 93 in CA). I've read between the lines from Ford engineers who say that's what the current EB in the F150 makes on premium fuel (380/430). The 4.10 gears are gonna make that beast drink fuel on the highway. Keeping up with traffic will probably net the owners 12-13 MPG. I guess if you have $70k for a SUV, gas isn't going to break you?

Edited by Hydro

Damn, that's some good power. I assume that's on 93 octane. 91 octane will probably lower the power to 380/ 440 (we can't get 93 in CA). I've read between the lines from Ford engineers who say that's what the current EB in the F150 makes on premium fuel (380/430). The 4.10 gears are gonna make that beast drink fuel on the highway. Keeping up with traffic will probably net the owners 12-13 MPG. I guess if you have $70k for a SUV, gas isn't going to break you?

I don't know, with 4.10s, they may be able to keep the 3.5L out of boost a bit better and it could actually get better fuel economy than with 3.73s. Doesn't seem logical, but with smaller displacement and turbos, you never know.

380/460 is pretty impressive, though. Wonder what the ratings will be in the '15 F150...

Did execs from the Lincoln Motor Company figure this pricing out during a wacky retreat in Colorado? The version that would be of interest to most buyers is the LWB, 4wd, premium at $76,000. This for a refresh of an old design that hasn't sold well for years, if ever. I can't see conquest customers coming in at this price. These will be needed since the pool of potential repeat customers is no more than toddler-sized. I don't think there is enough of a luxury step-up or differentiation from the Expedition to move Ford customers up market with this pricing. This isn't nearly like comparing the MKZ to the Fusion. Sadly, I fear that a true next generation Navigator might be canceled because low volume resulting from failed decisions will be used to illustrate that a business case can't be made for this class of vehicle. Meanwhile GM will just keep cranking in profits from about the only vehicle type that they execute well.

• Like 1

The Lincoln site is saying 370 HP 430 lb ft..... LINK

I wonder if that's on 91 octane? They'll print the power that everybody can achieve instead of the select market that can get 93.

update... never mind. The disclaimer says on 93 octane. So with 91 octane you're probably looking at 365/420 just like the current EB. F-150. I thought the EB made 365/420 on 87??????

Edited by Hydro

Yes it does.

So.... 370/ 430 is NOT impressive at all on 93 octane! I'd think in 4 years they'd have the power turned up a bit, especially on a Lincoln running 93. As I mentioned earlier, ford has quietly said the current EB in the F-150 makes 380/ 430 on 91 octane. Now if the 380 / 460 number is true, that's good news. Not sure where Autoblog got those numbers if Lincoln's website says different.

• Like 1

So.... 370/ 430 is NOT impressive at all on 93 octane! I'd think in 4 years they'd have the power turned up a bit, especially on a Lincoln running 93. As I mentioned earlier, ford has quietly said the current EB in the F-150 makes 380/ 430 on 91 octane. Now if the 380 / 460 number is true, that's good news. Not sure where Autoblog got those numbers if Lincoln's website says different.

Are we seeing the limits of the tranny holding the EB back? Maybe the new 8 (or 9 or 10 or whatever it is) speed that's on the way will allow them to turn the wick up a bit...

• Like 2

^ I hope so because the GM 6.2L is now a BEAST. Motor Trend ran the big Yukon Denali and got a 14.7 1/4 mile along with a 6.1 0-60. Even the fuel mileage was pretty damn good considering the power. "Denali didn't fare quite as well trying to reach its EPA rating of 14/20 city/highway mpg, returning Real MPG test number of 12.4/19.2 city/highway."

That's about what I get in my lighter F-150 only making 365/420 . Kinda sad when a 6k lb monster SUV packing a big V8 420hp/460 lb-ft will pretty much outgun my truck and get the same mileage. That's why I fear what the Navi will get in real world testing.

Did execs from the Lincoln Motor Company figure this pricing out during a wacky retreat in Colorado? The version that would be of interest to most buyers is the LWB, 4wd, premium at $76,000. This for a refresh of an old design that hasn't sold well for years, if ever. I can't see conquest customers coming in at this price. These will be needed since the pool of potential repeat customers is no more than toddler-sized. I don't think there is enough of a luxury step-up or differentiation from the Expedition to move Ford customers up market with this pricing. This isn't nearly like comparing the MKZ to the Fusion. Sadly, I fear that a true next generation Navigator might be canceled because low volume resulting from failed decisions will be used to illustrate that a business case can't be made for this class of vehicle. Meanwhile GM will just keep cranking in profits from about the only vehicle type that they execute well.

What makes you say the LWB 4wd premium model is of most interest to buyers? I see a much higher percentage of the shorter/regular versions around here - of both Navigator and Escalade. As to your point of the price increase - I agree, there's not a ton of changes compared to the increase.....

however, I look at it this way - perhaps they are pricing it that way as a sort of "bridge" to the next-gen aluminum model that'll be priced even higher, so it wont seem like such a dramatic jump. Maybe they aren't doing this, but it's a thought that came to mind.

Wow vehicles are getting expensive these days..

They really are. Not many new vehicles I want for and er 30k. My truck stickered for 51. Crazy money. Like any market, as long as people keep paying, the prices will stay.

A side note, this was the most expensive vehicle purchase I have ever made. However, it's my favorite vehicle and I get more people ask me about it at stop lights and gas station plus the neighbor kids give me thumbs up when I drive by.

Try buying a USED F150. Talk about sticker shock.

True.. And it’s a shitty truck to start with! Further more, everyone everywhere has one.. talk about being a sheep.

I will never own an F150 again. Unless I drive one often and it’s better than that shitty one I had.

What makes you say the LWB 4wd premium model is of most interest to buyers? I see a much higher percentage of the shorter/regular versions around here - of both Navigator and Escalade. As to your point of the price increase - I agree, there's not a ton of changes compared to the increase.....

however, I look at it this way - perhaps they are pricing it that way as a sort of "bridge" to the next-gen aluminum model that'll be priced even higher, so it wont seem like such a dramatic jump. Maybe they aren't doing this, but it's a thought that came to mind.

LWB: the extra space puts it on par with the very successful Suburban/Escalade. This is very desirable as it offers a lot of flexibility for traveling and it doesn't cost enough fuel mileage to be significant. The extra space when taking a family vacation or a guys sporting trip is huge. It makes loading and unloading much easier. You would really need to pack crazy loads to need a roof rack, which is a pain in the can in comparison. If you want sporty SWB for off-roading, you are likely going to be more than pleased with the Ford version.

4WD: not much need to discuss this one as I don't see any privately owned 2WD's is this class. Businesses and government fleets don't buy many Lincolns.

Premium: why spend more for a Navigator that isn't all that much different than the Expedition and have it less equipped. The Expedition Limited is very well equipped and it's cabin has a credible luxury look and feel. I would have a hard time splurging to move up and see that without the Premium package I'd actually be moving down in content.

Maybe your pricing strategy is right. It is interesting and I applaud your creative thinking. I'd have a hard time seeing that the aluminum ones could fetch even more, though. I wonder how many people will sit the refresh out to wait for the aluminum generation? Is that two, three or four years away? The fold-down seats are wonderful. The next generation would need to get quite a bit better mileage to appeal to me if they lose this feature with solid rear axle.

LWB: the extra space puts it on par with the very successful Suburban/Escalade. This is very desirable as it offers a lot of flexibility for traveling and it doesn't cost enough fuel mileage to be significant. The extra space when taking a family vacation or a guys sporting trip is huge. It makes loading and unloading much easier. You would really need to pack crazy loads to need a roof rack, which is a pain in the can in comparison. If you want sporty SWB for off-roading, you are likely going to be more than pleased with the Ford version.

4WD: not much need to discuss this one as I don't see any privately owned 2WD's is this class. Businesses and government fleets don't buy many Lincolns.

Premium: why spend more for a Navigator that isn't all that much different than the Expedition and have it less equipped. The Expedition Limited is very well equipped and it's cabin has a credible luxury look and feel. I would have a hard time splurging to move up and see that without the Premium package I'd actually be moving down in content.

Maybe your pricing strategy is right. It is interesting and I applaud your creative thinking. I'd have a hard time seeing that the aluminum ones could fetch even more, though. I wonder how many people will sit the refresh out to wait for the aluminum generation? Is that two, three or four years away? The fold-down seats are wonderful. The next generation would need to get quite a bit better mileage to appeal to me if they lose this feature with solid rear axle.

I understand your points about each thing you mentioned, I just disagree that the LWB model will be the most important one to buyers. To some, yeah, but the majority I think go with the regular one. 4WD depends on where you are in the country, and Premium I'd concede to you about being important.

As for pricing - the new Escalade starts at $71K, $9K more than the Navigator, so yes, I think there's room for a price bump on an aluminum version....especially if the "Range Rover rival" rumors (say that 5 times fast) are true

^ I hope so because the GM 6.2L is now a BEAST. Motor Trend ran the big Yukon Denali and got a 14.7 1/4 mile along with a 6.1 0-60. Even the fuel mileage was pretty damn good considering the power. "Denali didn't fare quite as well trying to reach its EPA rating of 14/20 city/highway mpg, returning Real MPG test number of 12.4/19.2 city/highway."

That's about what I get in my lighter F-150 only making 365/420 . Kinda sad when a 6k lb monster SUV packing a big V8 420hp/460 lb-ft will pretty much outgun my truck and get the same mileage. That's why I fear what the Navi will get in real world testing.

Remember what happened when Ecoboost V6 replaced the 5.4 3v in F150,

I expect Navigator to go from 14/20 to 16/22 for RWD EB and 13/18 to 15/21 for AWD EB

Edited by jpd80

^ Yep, I agree with those numbers. When it gets tested I'm positive we'll see real world mileage 12.8 city and 18.8 highway. MT long term fleet F150 EB achieved 14.6 lifetime MPG. Pretty damn close to what I'm getting, although, they had more road trips on theirs.

True.. And it’s a shitty truck to start with! Further more, everyone everywhere has one.. talk about being a sheep.

I will never own an F150 again. Unless I drive one often and it’s better than that shitty one I had.

If it was such a shitty truck, why would everyone everywhere have one? People tend to not like wasting their money buying crap.

• Like 1

Agreed. They want crazy money for used ones with over 100k miles.

I've said it before, but that's why I bought my '13 brand new--it wasn't that much more than trucks several years old with over 100K miles on the clock. And it's not like we're truck poor around these parts.