2015 Mustang GT vs 2015 Camaro 1LE

I will be very interested to see the sales numbers for the 2015 Mustang. Although I can't find the sales charts from 2005, I distinctly remember there being several months during that year the Mustang was the leader among Ford cars with over 20,000 units sold. Reports online say a little over 160,000 were built for the '05 model year. Will the 2015 sell as well? Stay tuned!

I know the Mustang cracked the top 10 monthly sales lists a few times in 2005-2006...but do keep in mind the economy is completely different now.

• Like 1

I know the Mustang cracked the top 10 monthly sales lists a few times in 2005-2006...but do keep in mind the economy is completely different now.

The economy is different and the Mustang is no longer the only car in the segment. Having competition in a small segment makes a big difference.

The economy is different and the Mustang is no longer the only car in the segment. Having competition in a small segment makes a big difference.

Not just competition, but competition that's better than Mustang as this particular comparison test demonstrates.

Not just competition, but competition that's better than Mustang as this particular comparison test demonstrates.

If based solely on race track performance numbers of the respective models tested, then yes, that statement is true.

But, you know as well as I do that race track numbers don't sell pony cars, otherwise, they would all come with honking V8's and track packs.

Personally, I think a comparison in MotorTrend does nothing of the sort. I've not wasted my time on this article, err, video, because MT has repeatedly proven that they will not run a fair test. I'd rather get my car info from TTAC, and I'm not about to get anything from them.

• Like 1

Not if you take into account the differences in tires and optional equipment. It actually shows that a Camaro with $6K more performance add-ons including summer tires can barely keep up with the mustang in a straight line and just barely edged it on a road course. A similarly equipped Mustang with the same tires and sale level of options would actually beat it - for less money and with 1.2L less displacement.

• Like 2

This "test" if you will should've been done strictly with the regular Mustang GT (no track pack) and the standard garden variety Camaro SS (no 1LE option). THIS would've provided us with some real, telling information. By design, the two "track packs" are different. Different components, different prices and obviously different outcomes. There are too many variables between these two cars for it to have a fairly based comparison.

• Like 2

This is a segment where there is not a lot of cross shopping between segments. Customers in this segment basically shop Mustang and Camaro...and sometimes now the Challenger. That is why comparisons are important...which makes perception important.

Again, can I buy your dealership for a buck?

I can't remember the last time you said something decent about a Ford product, which makes me wonder how you even keep the lights on with such crap to sell.

Cheer up, dude.

Completely unfair Richard, frankly you surprise me...exactly how was that statement negative? Simple statement of fact.

With all due respect, you wouldn't last a month in retail.

It goes right along with your earlier statements about how Team Mustang screwed up.

In and of itself, it's fairly harmless, but taken with your general comments on this thread, it's part of the same drumbeat of negativity.

And, frankly, I'm not buying your take on the importance of this comparison test.

Have you known many dedicated Mustang buyers who have switched to Chevrolet products because a significantly more expensive Camaro outperformed the Mustang by a second or so on a track?

--

And I have no desire to enter retail.

I'm just trying to figure out how *you* survive, having to sell vehicles that you--to judge by what you post here--do not like.

I want them to be better than the competition...that is what YOU don't understand. I have a love for these products and this company that you can't fathom. This particular comparison test is not important in of itself...but it's a pattern with this car. You call it negativity, I call it fair criticism from a perspective that some here doesn't see.

I apologize for my statement about you in retail...I don't know you and that was said in frustration. My apologies.

I want them to be better than the competition...that is what YOU don't understand. I have a love for these products and this company that you can't fathom. This particular comparison test is not important in of itself...but it's a pattern with this car. You call it negativity, I call it fair criticism from a perspective that some here doesn't see.

I apologize for my statement about you in retail...I don't know you and that was said in frustration. My apologies.

Your statement about me and retail is not far from accurate. I don't like sales. At all.

As far as the Mustang being 'better' than the competition, I don't think there's been a top line Mustang that could flat out kick a top line Camaro's rear on the track in decades--except for a few years when GM was winding down F-body production.

As far as I know, the only time there has been a major performance advantage, it has been with the Camaro--at least since the Mustang II era, again, excluding the F-body wind-down (which really shouldn't count).

There's about a $2500 difference between the GT + Performance Pack and the Camaro SS 1LE.

If the GT + Performance Pack outperformed the SS 1LE at the same price point (which I think we can agree would be the case, given that the tires, shocks and additional suspension bits would be better), would you be happy about that, or would you be upset about the near $38k list price?

Edited by RichardJensen

"Better" is entirely arbitrary though.

And the percentage of people that decide in favor of a car because it's ever so slightly faster around the track with its more performance-oriented tires and world-class suspension despite costing more is not an appreciable enough percentage for anyone on the Mustang team to lose sleep over.

Who knows, we may end up seeing a comparison test that declares the Mustang "better" because it's more liveable day-to-day. Or because its interior looks much better. Or because its exterior looks better. Or because it's more fuel-efficient in base trim.

Again, "better" is arbitrary.