Shelby GT350 Mustang Track Ready with 500HP

I guess I missed it--distracted by the rich guy who put 19,000 miles on his Tesla in two years. And if he's a representative sample Tesla's doomed.

I like the guys on the forum who think that the Z/28 will beat this thing at the track.

You've got a much faster revving engine with a much higher redline in a much lighter car, and basically the same electronically controlled dampers. That thing is going to out-accelerate the Z out of corners, and the Z is unlikely to be able to out-brake it.

I don't think there's going to be any "butt-kicking" by the Z.

i agree with you you 100%this should destroy the z28.I do have a feeling that there will be another GT350 model.Maybe with the CC brakes that we have seen on the other test cars.On another note,i just saw on youtube the mad man 160 pt.1,and 2 where a 2015 mustang gt did a top speed run of 160.its a great video.http://youtu.be/2ZKmeqhQnMo

People should stop talking about the Alpha Camaro as though it's going to provide some paradigm shift in the pony car segment.

It's going to be about the same size as the Mustang and it's going to weigh about as much as the Mustang. It will neither be smaller (take a good long look at the Mustang, from bumper to bumper and tell me where Ford is wasting space), nor will it be significantly lighter, because there will be no exotic materials in it.

If you could look at the current Mustang and find wasted space, unnecessary materials, etc., then you could build a compelling case that there's fat to be trimmed in this segment, but you can't and there isn't.

The next Z, provided GM is still building 7L V8s, should close the performance gap with the GT350 more or less.

Factory built or not - they're both milking the Shelby name.

beg to differ.....BIG time, when someone is UPFITTING a car and putting a signature on it and charging upwards of $14k when a suprior vehicle is avail for not much more, has full factory backing and a 60k powertrain FACTORY warranty with less markup, common sense eyebrows get raised.....

I honestly don't think Ford sees Camaro as the primary competition for Mustang now that it's going global. I think they're aiming a lot higher. If they end up beating Camaro in tests that's great but I don't think it's a priority.

Maybe not priority but on their radar for sure......

We have over 20 mins of Q&A with Jamal Hameedi which we have to clean up so it may take a bit.

Here are some quick points, paraphrased:

• No dry sump
  • No direct injection
  • Extra engine displacement is all bore
  • Everything from the A pillar forward is different from the GT. In the rear, the rear lower diffuser is different but rear quarter panels are the same.
  • Benchmarked against 4 cars: 911 Carrera S (main benchmark), Ferrari California (since it is a front engine FPC), C7, and Z28.
  • "It is its own beast." Do not want to equate it as a Boss replacement or GT500.
  • How does it compare to the 302 or GT500 on the track? "Not really comparable. Way faster.. an order of magnitude faster"
  • About same production numbers as the GT500

More to come...

Well, arguably, re-tuning the whole dang car and putting a different engine in it doesn't constitute milking Shel's name the way, say, an appearance package and a few bolt-ons is milking it:

I fail to see how their bolt-ons are different from the Ford Shelby GT500 bolt-ons. Brakes, tires, supercharger added to a stock mustang GT. And the name of the company is SHELBY American. I mean - what else would they call it?

beg to differ.....BIG time, when someone is UPFITTING a car and putting a signature on it and charging upwards of $14k when a suprior vehicle is avail for not much more, has full factory backing and a 60k powertrain FACTORY warranty with less markup, common sense eyebrows get raised.....

I didn't say it was a good value or whether it made sense. But if anyone should be using the SHELBY name on a mustang you'd think it would be the company named SHELBY American.

Maybe not priority but on their radar for sure......

We have over 20 mins of Q&A with Jamal Hameedi which we have to clean up so it may take a bit.

Here are some quick points, paraphrased:

• No dry sump
  • No direct injection
  • Extra engine displacement is all bore
  • Everything from the A pillar forward is different from the GT. In the rear, the rear lower diffuser is different but rear quarter panels are the same.
  • Benchmarked against 4 cars: 911 Carrera S (main benchmark), Ferrari California (since it is a front engine FPC), C7, and Z28.
  • "It is its own beast." Do not want to equate it as a Boss replacement or GT500.
  • How does it compare to the 302 or GT500 on the track? "Not really comparable. Way faster.. an order of magnitude faster"
  • About same production numbers as the GT500

More to come...

No direct injection caught my eye. I'm no induction expert but could this mean it has port injection or even individual throttle bodies a la BMW style?

Edit: Nevermind. I saw the linked photo from an earlier post. Single throttle body like a regular 5.0. Is the current 5.0 not direct injected?

Edited by buddysystem

No direct injection caught my eye. I'm no induction expert but could this mean it has port injection or even individual throttle bodies a la BMW style?

Edit: Nevermind. I saw the linked photo from an earlier post. Single throttle body like a regular 5.0. Is the current 5.0 not direct injected?

Ford doesn't currently have direct injection on any gasoline V8.

Edited by CurtisH

I didn't say it was a good value or whether it made sense. But if anyone should be using the SHELBY name on a mustang you'd think it would be the company named SHELBY American.

EASY...OUTRAGEOUS markup on what basicalliy off the shelf aftermarket items that could be bought substantially cheaper....once again, justified by a signature...I can fathom SOME markup, but the Shelbys were something else....