Shelby GT350 Mustang Track Ready with 500HP

EASY...OUTRAGEOUS markup on what basicalliy off the shelf aftermarket items that could be bought substantially cheaper....once again, justified by a signature...I can fathom SOME markup, but the Shelbys were something else....

Again - I don't disagree that it's a terrible value. But I don't blame Shelby American for doing it.

Again - I don't disagree that it's a terrible value. But I don't blame Shelby American for doing it.

hear ya, I just felt he was taking advantage and being a tad greedy.....now THIS GT350 IS something special, although i hear availability will only be along the lines of the 2014 GT500,,,,,dammit....

I think it's entirely different for a company to do that with somebody else's name.

But what exactly do you think that a company named Shelby owned by a fellow named Shelby should have called their version of a Mustang other than Shelby?

Should Roush not call their mustangs Roush mustangs?

I think it's entirely different for a company to do that with somebody else's name.

But what exactly do you think that a company named Shelby owned by a fellow named Shelby should have called their version of a Mustang other than Shelby?

Should Roush not call their mustangs Roush mustangs?

Roush was charging no where near what Shelby did for what was basically the same package. That said, im not a fan of the coat-tailers when the factory units are more than adequate, if not superior for basically the same price....for whatever the reason is the aftermarket, if stocked by a dealer just SIT....

Roush was charging no where near what Shelby did for what was basically the same package. That said, im not a fan of the coat-tailers when the factory units are more than adequate, if not superior for basically the same price....for whatever the reason is the aftermarket, if stocked by a dealer just SIT....

Around here, anything like that is never on a lot for long at all. For example, our local Fiat-Chrysler dealership regularly stocks and moves Saleen Challengers. Two of our Ford dealerships sold their Shelby GTs in short order after getting them.

This is probably the inverse of the Flex situation: you had relatively good luck getting rid of them out there whereas in a lot of the rest of the country, they couldn't give them away.

Around here, anything like that is never on a lot for long at all. For example, our local Fiat-Chrysler dealership regularly stocks and moves Saleen Challengers. Two of our Ford dealerships sold their Shelby GTs in short order after getting them.

This is probably the inverse of the Flex situation: you had relatively good luck getting rid of them out there whereas in a lot of the rest of the country, they couldn't give them away.

we had two Roush and one GT350 that had birthdays, one Roush had two.....meanwhile the GT500s that came in that were only 5-7500 more moved relatively quickly...thus my angst.

I saw on Facebook someone was concerned about the long term durability of a flat plane V8...why would it be any worse then a cross plane V8? If you drive both near their redlines for long periods of time, your going to have problems either way...

Camaro loving Ford hatin' negatards........

I saw on Facebook someone was concerned about the long term durability of a flat plane V8...why would it be any worse then a cross plane V8? If you drive both near their redlines for long periods of time, your going to have problems either way...

From what someone else on the BON posted, the flat plane crank isn't quite as balanced as a cross plane. So technically there are probably more vibration harmonics going on. Ford is claiming to have that under control.

How unreliable are we talking here? As unreliable as a GM ignition that is killing people?

From what someone else on the BON posted, the flat plane crank isn't quite as balanced as a cross plane. So technically there are probably more vibration harmonics going on. Ford is claiming to have that under control.

How unreliable are we talking here? As unreliable as a GM ignition that is killing people?

I think most of it boils down to people not being familiar with it, thus different=bad...much like using aluminum on the F-150 makes it a "insert your favorite beverage in a can"

I'm sure the engine will have no durability problems...I think the last time Ford had a major engine problem (structural design, not accessory as in fuel injectors) was with the 3.8/4L V6?

A flat plane V8 is basically two 4 cylinder engines that share a crankshaft. As such, a flat plane V8 will have similar NVH characteristics as a 4 cylinder engine. Because it is the combination of two 4 cylinder engines, NVH will be greater than a single 4 cylinder, but it doesn't double those issues. Being a low volume production volume, I would guess Ford will make sure parts are carefully weighed and matched within each engine. I suppose if you could have NVH concerns if this was going into a luxo-barge where smoothness is a priority, but some "feel" from the engine in an edgy sports car isn't a bad thing.

I don't think those are production versions. Ford debuted this vehicle ahead of the LA Auto show and has yet to confirm the release date or pricing. I think I read Fall of 2015.

They're pre-production prototypes of the production vehicle. Nowhere in the release does Ford call this a "concept". That means you're seeing the final vehicle as it will go on sale with only a few tweaks. The point was you won't see any drastic changes from this one to the real production vehicles as you might with a "concept".

Same for the 2016 Explorer. Not a concept.

Edited by akirby

A flat plane V8 is basically two 4 cylinder engines that share a crankshaft. As such, a flat plane V8 will have similar NVH characteristics as a 4 cylinder engine. Because it is the combination of two 4 cylinder engines, NVH will be greater than a single 4 cylinder, but it doesn't double those issues. Being a low volume production volume, I would guess Ford will make sure parts are carefully weighed and matched within each engine. I suppose if you could have NVH concerns if this was going into a luxo-barge where smoothness is a priority, but some "feel" from the engine in an edgy sports car isn't a bad thing.

Retracted. I misunderstood the firing order.

Edited by akirby

I think most of it boils down to people not being familiar with it, thus different=bad...much like using aluminum on the F-150 makes it a "insert your favorite beverage in a can"

I'm sure the engine will have no durability problems...I think the last time Ford had a major engine problem (structural design, not accessory as in fuel injectors) was with the 3.8/4L V6?

I speak with a little background here, the Ferrari flat planes are smooth as silk....and I saw quite a few with 100,000miles plus that were running like new and used as daily drivers.....I dont forsee ANY issues besides maybe a slightly lumpy idle.