Shelby GT350 Mustang Track Ready with 500HP

I love driving stick as much as anyone else here, but alot of people just don't get the hang of it...

Then they probably just don't really care that much about doing it, its not like flying a helicopter, which is fine at least they have tried and I give them credit for that. It is just sad that since so few parents drive a stick (even ones that know how) the new drivers don't ever even learn or see the need to. If more new drivers tried I am sure the % of stick sales would increase. I am glad Ford has the balls to keep certain performance cars stick only when they could easily chase the sales. If it cases anyone to learn so they can buy one all the better, maybe they will pass it on to their kids and help the cause.

• Like 1

Then they probably just don't really care that much about doing it, its not like flying a helicopter, which is fine at least they have tried and I give them credit for that. It is just sad that since so few parents drive a stick (even ones that know how) the new drivers don't ever even learn or see the need to. If more new drivers tried I am sure the % of stick sales would increase. I am glad Ford has the balls to keep certain performance cars stick only when they could easily chase the sales. If it cases anyone to learn so they can buy one all the better, maybe they will pass it on to their kids and help the cause.

To many people talking on cell phones, eating and drinking while driving. You can't expect them to drive and shift too, do you? I enjoy driving my cars with a stick. I don't use my phone or eat while driving.

To many people talking on cell phones, eating and drinking while driving. You can't expect them to drive and shift too, do you? I enjoy driving my cars with a stick. I don't use my phone or eat while driving.

Haha I can do all that and drive a stick at the same time...driving a stick (outside of stop and go conditions) isn't that taxing that you can't drink your coffee or whatever while your driving.

The other day I was beside a woman on the highway who was weaving around and almost came into my lane a couple times, I kept trying to get her attention but she had her face buried in that stupid thing. I got so mad I finally rolled my window down and threw the rest of my beer at her!

Go to europe and they like small screaming engines and manuals, NA like bigger torquier engines and auto's. The do very little stop and go driving and that's all we do.

If more people wanted manuals, they'd be built. Unfortunately the take rate on manuals was so low that it wasn't worth it so now manuals aren't available on some vehicles even though people do want them. (f-150 and many others for ex)

I would only drive manuals but the 2013 edge we got wasn't available and the auto in the 2013 focus the wife bought is exactly what I hate about the situation. It's a manual controlled by a computer. AAAHHH!!! I HATE it!!! I don't want the computer to feather in the clutch as I add throttle or shift or whatever. If I knew it felt like that when driven I wouldn't of let her buy it. I tried to see if it would be good to dragrace...brakes on,foot to the floor and...huh? It's idling..there is no throttle input with the brake applied! AAHH! Tried hit the gas and then mash the brakes on as if I was at the line, it held at 2500 or so but I imagine it must of been burning up the clutch to do it...stupid cars...give me a real manual anyday. Or a real auto with a converter for that matter.

<rant over> LOL!

Check out his excerpt from this article published in 2012 http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/19/us/manual-car-question-comeback/

"The percentages may seem small, but with nearly 12.8 million cars sold in the U.S. last year, those sales add up to more than a half million manuals."

I guess one could conclude if they were to offer an automatic on the GT350, there might be more takers.for the auto than a stick. Does anyone on this site have the stats for manual versus automatic on the regular Mustangs?

why...as is its limited supply already....theres going to be a taker for every single one there is anyway.

Why would it having a modern automatic(converter or DCT) prevent this sensation? The modern transmissions are much more accurate at matching engine speed and revolutions than a manual, up or down the gear set. Porsche's PDK, Audi's DCT, BMW's M Sport DCT and some of the modern 8-speeds from BMW, VW, and now GM with the upcoming Z06, are nothing like slushboxes from a decade ago.

The characteristics of a FPC engine would fit perfectly with a transmission that has an almost constant connection to the rear wheels, thanks in part to the lightening fast shifts and the low-inertia clutches found in something like a DCT.

There's no reason to not offer this at least as an option other than cost(which they will pass on to us anyway), especially when the take rate will much higher for the more expensive automatic. For reference, 60% of all Stingrays sold are with automatics and that one is with the 6-speed "slushbox", and not the 8-speed that GM developed with the Z06, which will be offered in the base Corvette next year.

What I find most interesting is that on every Mustang Forum that I frequent, there are several threads about the GT350 specifically, that want an automatic option. Obviously Ford should make no decisions based on mere forum posts(lulz!) but I don't ever remember there being this much talk about an automatic in one of Ford's performance cars.

once again Take Rate is mentioned...yep the manuals will just sit and collect cobwebs....NOT. Its a LIMITED PRODUCTION....if you dont take it because its not Automatic, someone else will, addendum and all.....

If more new drivers tried I am sure the % of stick sales would increase.

Oh good grief!

What is it with people drawing a line in the sand over some particular innovation and declaring that everyone on the OTHER side of that innovation is a bunch of lazy/ignorant/sloppy fools who don't understand how wonderful it is to avoid using that particular innovation.

"Oh, look at the little baby using a TV remote. More people would get up and change the channel on the TV itself if they sold more TVs that didn't come with remotes."

"Getting up to change the channel *improves* the TV watching experience! People don't spend all their time flipping around from channel to channel, they can actually sit back and enjoy the show they're watching, free of the temptation to keep checking what's going on elsewhere."

We get it. Some people like driving cars with manual transmissions. Fine. Great. Just stop being the equivalent of that guy that's always talking about some band that you probably haven't heard of.

• Like 2

A flat plane V8 is basically two 4 cylinder engines that share a crankshaft. As such, a flat plane V8 will have similar NVH characteristics as a 4 cylinder engine. Because it is the combination of two 4 cylinder engines, NVH will be greater than a single 4 cylinder, but it doesn't double those issues. Being a low volume production volume, I would guess Ford will make sure parts are carefully weighed and matched within each engine. I suppose if you could have NVH concerns if this was going into a luxo-barge where smoothness is a priority, but some "feel" from the engine in an edgy sports car isn't a bad thing.

I remember the 4 cyl Pontiac Tempest in the early 60's that was a big V8 cut in half. When at idle the whole car rocked and rolled, was a joy to drive slow thru town. :yahoo:

It's all about choice. But sometimes you don't get to choose, and that's a shame. It all comes down to money.

think of it this way....would an auto improve sales....?....nope, theres a limited run to begin with, they will sell everyone, so the only alternative is to increase numbers and invest in a horribly expensive transmission that would suit the GT350...and it wouldnt be the usual slushbox...think 7-8 speed DCT.....what would that cost?...4-5-6 grand?....me, Im a row your own guy, always have been, so Im covered, so to all those desiring an Auto of some sort I say...nah nah na nah nah......

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 1

I agree with that sentiment.

But then I also thought that a crew-cab Raptor was a silly idea. I was wrong.

wish list....eco boost raptor, 6 speed manual....BOH YEAH!....ever happen....no, along with small diesel manual Transit Connects ( which by the way drove AMAZING )

• Like 1

Oh good grief!

What is it with people drawing a line in the sand over some particular innovation and declaring that everyone on the OTHER side of that innovation is a bunch of lazy/ignorant/sloppy fools who don't understand how wonderful it is to avoid using that particular innovation.

"Oh, look at the little baby using a TV remote. More people would get up and change the channel on the TV itself if they sold more TVs that didn't come with remotes."

"Getting up to change the channel *improves* the TV watching experience! People don't spend all their time flipping around from channel to channel, they can actually sit back and enjoy the show they're watching, free of the temptation to keep checking what's going on elsewhere."

We get it. Some people like driving cars with manual transmissions. Fine. Great. Just stop being the equivalent of that guy that's always talking about some band that you probably haven't heard of.

It is all about enjoyment. I doubt many people long for the days of getting up to change the channel (I know I don't) But I do enjoy shifting so your analogy doesn't really make sense. Can you drive drive a stick? If not how are you can you make an intelligent argument. I am not against autos there great for people just looking for transportation. Leave the sticks for the big boys.

Oh good grief!

It is all about enjoyment. I doubt many people long for the days of getting up to change the channel (I know I don't) But I do enjoy shifting so your analogy doesn't really make sense. Can you drive drive a stick? If not how are you can you make an intelligent argument. I am not against autos there great for people just looking for transportation. Leave the sticks for the big boys.

Oh good grief!

Can you drive drive a stick? If not how are you can you make an intelligent argument.

Yes. I can drive a stick. And I see absolutely no reason to concern myself with an aspect of driving which the vehicle is perfectly capable of handling on its own.

I also note, with a touch of amusement that you posted your reply three times.

Best not to display an inability to do something correctly when implying that someone else is unable to do something correctly.

your analogy doesn't really make sense

Sure it does! You're on the other side of history, and instead of accepting that, you view people who disagree with you as being 'wrong'.

Sort of like the "Get a horse" crowd a 110 years ago. There's still plenty of people who like to ride horses, and you can still buy carriages and harnesses and so forth, but the vast and overwhelming majority of people prefer the simplicity and convenience of a car.

• Like 1

Sure it does! You're on the other side of history, and instead of accepting that, you view people who disagree with you as being 'wrong'.

Sort of like the "Get a horse" crowd a 110 years ago. There's still plenty of people who like to ride horses, and you can still buy carriages and harnesses and so forth, but the vast and overwhelming majority of people prefer the simplicity and convenience of a car.

I never said anyone was wrong. I have no problem with people who would rather drive an auto. But they all seem to be hostile toward those of us who enjoy driving sticks and like to pretend there is no difference. I guess they feel inadequate or something. Modern conveniences are there so we don't have to do tedious things to make more time for pleasure. I and others enjoy shifting and want to control it ourselves. So I don't see it as freeing me from a task. If you don't fine that is you decision. But don't put words in my mouth.

I never said anyone was wrong. I have no problem with people who would rather drive an auto. But they all seem to be hostile toward those of us who enjoy driving sticks and like to pretend there is no difference. I guess they feel inadequate or something. Modern conveniences are there so we don't have to do tedious things to make more time for pleasure. I and others enjoy shifting and want to control it ourselves. So I don't see it as freeing me from a task. If you don't fine that is you decision. But don't put words in my mouth.

Funny, but I have consistently found the polar opposite to be true. That not being able to drive a manual made you less of a man. Whatever that means.

And not just on enthusiast websites, either, but in life away from the keyboard.

I'm not throwing stones at you, 72Mach1, but some of your manual-driving brethren have messed it up for the rest of you. :)

• Like 1