Ford Says Aluminum Pickup’s Fuel Economy Rises up to 29%

I read that article -- twice -- and nowhere does it say Ford recycles aluminum cans for its trucks. The aluminum they reuse is the scrap from stamped body panels. In fact, they go to great lengths to keep the aluminum alloy for the body panels away from any other grade of metal so as to avoid deterioration.

Stop making crap up.

with that it is recycled..its no longer virgin ore..its heated and melted and stressed once again..hell with it i guess..I am not getting on this kool aid cattle car until a few years down the road when I can see how well it is doing in crash test (real world) and the like..again i support ford in this attempt but I will wait to see how well it works out..

and yes everybody who disagrees with the grape kool aid is a troll..i get it...there had to have been discussion inside ford how to respond to the reuse of AL scrap..there is no way they could have keep the f150 under $50K and used virgin ore..forbes just spit out the obvious in print..

Novelis is involved (Fords supplier)..they make AL beer cans and sodie cans. shall i need to post the link?.. is the kool aid that strong we need to immediately destroy those who have refused the drink?..are you sure you read that forbes article 2x???..you must have missed the opening paragraph..i am on board here with fords attempt but there is a lot of unknown that must be factored in especially when you consider the price tag of new trucks (not just ford)

Edited by snooter

with that it is recycled..its no longer virgin ore..its heated and melted and stressed once again..hell with it i guess..I am not getting on this kool aid cattle car until a few years down the road when I can see how well it is doing in crash test (real world) and the like..again i support ford in this attempt but I will wait to see how well it works out..

and yes everybody who disagrees with the grape kool aid is a troll..i get it...there had to have been discussion inside ford how to respond to the reuse of AL scrap..there is no way they could have keep the f150 under $50K and used virgin ore..forbes just spit out the obvious in print..

Do you have a reference showing that recycled aluminum atoms have different qualities than virgin atoms? Is the shit that is mixed in the ground with AL atoms easier to separate that beer molecules?

You're not trolling because you question the value of recycled aluminum. You're trolling because you said they're using recycled stag beer cans which clearly was never said.

Whatever Aluminum Ford gets has to meet the same specs whether it's virgin or recycled.

Do you have a reference showing that recycled aluminum atoms have different qualities than virgin atoms? Is the shit that is mixed in the ground with AL atoms easier to separate that beer molecules?

It is subject to more impurities and contamination which can make it weaker. Can being the operative word (pun intended). Anyone who thinks Alcoa doesn't understand this and doesn't factor that into the aluminum they supply to Ford and ensure it meets the required specs is trolling - especially when they mention stag beer cans.

You don't care but you'll certainly take time to make disparaging comments about it.

Ford actually tested several alloys before finding one that provided the required strength - and they tested it with real construction trucks. So whatever they chose and whatever the ratio of recycled AL rest assured it will be strong enough.

I'll tell you how it's going to play out:

Those aluminum F150s are going to crumple up about as often as those turbo V6s blow up.

Ha you could be right..lets just see how it goes out in the real world..I like the new look of the f150 and the like..but will sit and wait for a few and see how she does

I guess a minor concern (AS OF NOW) is if i get a lotta hail damage can that speshul dent puller dillio tool pull out a dent on the AL like they could on the old steel panel..minor concern there is all I and i really do not know the answer to that,,already heard a hood (AL) had to be replaced cause hail dents could not be pulled out and well that would drive up my insurance cost if i bought another F150 (may old betsie (86 F150) rest in peace after 320k blissful miles-she just got old and fell apart-bought her new in 86)

i guess another issue here is i thought ford was only talking about an AL frame (I am not alone in that assumption)..turned out its the whole rig..kinda worried to about how my body shop will go about replacing a panel..AL has to be etched correctly for the paint to stick and well I dont have a whole lotta faith that my local body shops have the skill to work with AL...all in all minor stuff but it just causes me pause..god speed

Edited by snooter

The AL panels are actually thicker than steel and considerably more hail resistant to boot.

Aluminum is going to force a lot of body shops to change but there's still a huge volume of

steel body vehicles out there and still being made. I don't think new truck buyers will be

worried either way as insurance companies will feel out the changes first.

Edited by jpd80

Saying hail damage is being concern really fucking nick-picky....if the hail is bad enough, its going to damage a steel skinned truck just as easily as an aluminum one and well either way it will be totaled out by the insurance company.

I'm sure you can sit here and bench test aluminum bodies and come up with a scenario where it might not be as a good as a steel body, but yet there is only a 1 in a million chance of it actually happening

Saying hail damage is being concern really fucking nick-picky....if the hail is bad enough, its going to damage a steel skinned truck just as easily as an aluminum one and well either way it will be totaled out by the insurance company.

I'm sure you can sit here and bench test aluminum bodies and come up with a scenario where it might not be as a good as a steel body, but yet there is only a 1 in a million chance of it actually happening

It's just people looking for something to bitch about.

If it's military grade, I better get a reactive armour package for loose Carl Gustav rounds. We don't have many RPG's around here :)

• Like 1

I'll tell you how it's going to play out:

Those aluminum F150s are going to crumple up about as often as those turbo V6s blow up.

Well, the turbo V6 F-150 has a much higher rate of problems than either the normally aspirated V6 or V8 models. So it sounds like the new Al bodied F-150s are going to crumple up more often than the steel bodied trucks.

Edited by aneekr

Well, the turbo V6 F-150 has a much higher rate of problems than either the normally aspirated V6 or V8 models. So it sounds like the new Al bodied F-150s are going to crumple up more often than the steel bodied trucks.

"has a much higher rate of problems" — with no facts, we have brain-fart. Please specify the "has a much higher rate of problems", thank-you. :)

I am luvin my 2015 ford exploder...damn thats a nice rig...i am aware of the rumors but figure its just jealous types that drive the chebbys (and the heeps)..do you drive a kia by chance?

Edited by snooter

My experience the 3.5 gtdi has been reliable. Consider how many are around. Most that come in are ecoboost. I only have seen 2 that had any catastrophic failure in which engines were replaced and it was at super low miles. Obviously from some manufacturing issue. As a matter of fact the NA 5.0 has had more base engine problems than the 3.5 Gtdi at our shop. I own a 13 f150 with a 3.5gtdi and in no way worried about engine problems.

Have found out a couple things with the 3.5.

Change oil at normal intervals ie 5k.

Change spark plugs at 60k.

Perform a couple WOT events every so.often.

( not a issue for me ;) )