Lincoln Debuts Harman Revel Speakers in 2016 MKX!

hbalek

You can get high quality digital music but it takes up tons of disk space. To me a 256 mps mp3 sounds just as good as an audio cd on my Fusion sony system, but I'm not very picky about my audio.

Bluetooth is actually very high bandwidth - much higher than I thought. The problem with the Aux input is if you're using a headphone output from your media player then you're not getting a line level input and it can sound bad and you're subject to whatever digital processing the media player is doing to compensate for tiny earphones. A good line level input should be just as good as bluetooth from the same device.

That's why I always plug my iPod to USB in my car. Most people don't notice it but there's a far greater range and it doesn't make my sub work as hard

• Like 1

IMHO, FM is better than Sirius for audio quality. FM's content stinks on ice, but the audio quality is better.

It depends on the sirius channel and content. Some seem to have more compression than others plus older content like 60s music just wasn't recorded very well to begin with so it sounds even worse.

• Like 2

Bluetooth is actually very high bandwidth - much higher than I thought. The problem with the Aux input is if you're using a headphone output from your media player then you're not getting a line level input and it can sound bad and you're subject to whatever digital processing the media player is doing to compensate for tiny earphones. A good line level input should be just as good as bluetooth from the same device.

I never liked BT when using Sync with my phone...it lacked imput power levels to "drive" the system.

Anyways the easiest thing to do (IMO) is just copy everything on to a USB stick and plug it into USB port...done and done. They sell ones that are about the size of your thumbnail and barely stick out from the USB port. Just have to remove it once in a while to update the tunes you might have for it.

• Like 1

Just my opinion, so far sound quality is pretty good from the Sony system I have. You have to play with the settings and if you're keen, adjust as required per album. The order of sound quality for me is CD, USB and Sirius. My FM is spotty but understandable considering the mountains in the way. :)

I never liked BT when using Sync with my phone...it lacked imput power levels to "drive" the system.

Anyways the easiest thing to do (IMO) is just copy everything on to a USB stick and plug it into USB port...done and done. They sell ones that are about the size of your thumbnail and barely stick out from the USB port. Just have to remove it once in a while to update the tunes you might have for it.

Yes, I have one of those micro usb drives and it works great. I never use the phone except in rare cases where there is a new song I haven't copied to the usb drive.

But I don't understand BT lacking input power levels. It should be a line level output over BT so input level isn't applicable. If it didn't sound good then I suspect your phone's audio just wasn't very good. With my iphone 5 and 6 the bluetooth audio quality is the same as from the usb drive as far as I can tell.

Most of the time, I have my old iPod plugged in via sub, which sounds fantastic. Lately since I upgraded the old 8gb iPhone 4 to 64gb 6 plus, I've been using bluetooth more now that I can keep more than 1/2 a song on my phone. I make sure all my music is the same quality when I rip it or download it so I haven't noticed any drop in quality, though I normally listen to podcasts and talk radio.

But I don't understand BT lacking input power levels. It should be a line level output over BT so input level isn't applicable. If it didn't sound good then I suspect your phone's audio just wasn't very good. With my iphone 5 and 6 the bluetooth audio quality is the same as from the usb drive as far as I can tell.

I dunno I have decent audio on my cell phone...Beats Audio in a HTC One...I know beats prob sucks just as bad Bose does, but hey at least its a name brand ;)

But I don't understand BT lacking input power levels. It should be a line level output over BT so input level isn't applicable.

It depends on the phone. On my Samsung Ativ S Neo (Windows Phone 8.1), I have volume control over the BT feed, presumably because it treats Sync as a headset (this happens whether I'm using the Audible app, Podcasts app, or the Music app). The iPhone's integration is so inferior that I've not tried pairing my iPhone 6 with Sync; I resort to USB if I ever want to pull audio from the iPhone.

True about audiophiles, but there aren't enough left to fill a Nissan Cube. In this day of MP3's, miniature soundbars, cellphone speakers, and self powered bluetooths, the only ones alive are too old to hear the high notes.

The only ones who can hear the high notes are audio salesmen and dogs.

in terms of an audio device, as far as the I-pods are concerned, it depends if they are recorded lossless or not, but the biggest weakness is their DACs, if you've recorded lossless and have a doc station such as a WADIA routing to a good DAC, then the quality is not bad at all, even to an anal SOB such as myself......

Edited by Deanh

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if this was brought up. What is the new pecking order for Lincoln audio? Will THX still be around? Will THX replace the base audio for Lincoln? Will THX trickle down to Ford using Sony as the base audio? :shrug:

That's a good question. It would be nice to see the THX system as the base system ( but probably not with the thx name).

Since THX is a certification rather than a product, there's no reason that the current THX system couldn't become the base system and keep the name. For that matter, there's no reason the Harman system couldn't also be THX Certified...

Since THX is a certification rather than a product, there's no reason that the current THX system couldn't become the base system and keep the name. For that matter, there's no reason the Harman system couldn't also be THX Certified...

It's not just a certification in Lincoln vehicles - THX engineers actually helped design the systems and tune it. It's more of a product than a certification.

• Like 1

I forgot that the Explorer will introduce the upgraded Sony system. That said, there's still the Mustang Shaker PRO but it looks like Shaker base is gone. The Reviews on those systems were mixed IIRC. There is the available Kicker Subwoofer but it is limited availability (It would be nice to see it in the Fiesta HB, not just the sedan). Costs notwithstanding, it would be nice to see the trickle down to replace the base systems keeping Fords philosophy of technology in mind. If folks don't want the in house, maybe a delete option could be made available?

That's a good question. It would be nice to see the THX system as the base system ( but probably not with the thx name).

I think for luxury customers, keeping the name would appeal more. It is a bragging right more than anything else.