2016 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility Teased Before Chicago Auto Show Unveiling

Hoping the new Taurus/PI increases driver room (biggest complaint I've heard from LEOs) and brings the lines and look more in line with the rest of the Ford car stable.

For sure that IS the complaint-at least from a LEO pal of mine. He misses the CV for that reason. And I tell you, sitting in that UPI, with all the radio gear, lap top, it is crowded. And his department has only one rear Prisoner seat with a divider down the middle. A "perp" is not going to be bouncing around in the back of that thing. this dept. also carries an AR-15 and a 12 ga. which is locked to the rear divder.

Can't see the new one improving on the room issue. Other side of the coin, talked to a Mass Trooper and he liked his-but qualified by saying he was a dive team member so the UPI was much better for him because of the rear cargo area.

Hoping the new Taurus/PI increases driver room (biggest complaint I've heard from LEOs) and brings the lines and look more in line with the rest of the Ford car stable.

Well, nothing is being done to the PI - this is only a refresh of the PIU because the Explorer got a redesign/MCE.

A future PI would be based on the future fully redesigned Taurus.

Or possible CD6. Only because we don't know the details of that platform yet. It may be a better physical fit for Police utility usage.

Yes, that's possible as well. I was just assuming it'd continue as part of the Taurus program. Didn't think about that. Though I wonder what body panels it would use (unless Taurus went to CD6 too)?

Yes, that's possible as well. I was just assuming it'd continue as part of the Taurus program. Didn't think about that. Though I wonder what body panels it would use (unless Taurus went to CD6 too)?

I've heard at least one person say that the PI sedan dies with next-gen, and PI Utility is the LEO workhorse once everything migrates to the new platform.

I've heard at least one person say that the PI sedan dies with next-gen, and PI Utility is the LEO workhorse once everything migrates to the new platform.

Wouldn't surprise me, given the take rate on the PIU compared to the PI. I'm sure part of that could have to do with the space limitations on the PI (perhaps they're going with the PIU because the PI is too small), but if the departments are happy with the utility of the PIU and it's able to do everything the sedan can, why not consolidate into one model.

I agree with all the above. As long as the CD6 PU "handles" as well or better, I don't see a reason why the sedan PI should continue.

And I also wonder if the Taurus does go to a stretched Fusion platform, would it be able to handle the duties police throw at it like curb jumping. No, that doesn't happen a lot. But if the CD6 platform has more CUV utility, a car may not be needed. Let Dodge/Chevy pick up those crumbs. Stick to the better vehicle.

Of course, we're making a lot of assumptions here since we don't know if CD6 is utility only, or can do multi-duty like the D4 platform in utility and sedan spec.

They modified D3/D4 for the PI versions to handle a 40 mph curb jump. No reason they can't do the same to the CD4/CD6 platform.

I think his point was that the PI and PIU share the same platform to where yes, the upgrades were made for the curb jumping, and since they shared a platform, both vehicles gained that ability.

However, if a CD4 Taurus-based PI model (presuming it's Fusion-based) was made and then a separate CD6 Explorer-based PIU was made, obviously the PIU would gain the curb jumping ability, but if they were on separate platforms, would the effort to give the CD4-based PI that ability be worth it? Or should they instead focus on a single vehicle, the more successful PIU.

Pretty sure they would have to modify the front suspension on any vehicle to survive that even a cd6 based explorer.

That wasn't the point made.

They would have to, in theory, engineer two different suspensions for two different police vehicles. Is it worth the extra investment to do both when the PIU outsells the PI by such a wide margin.

• Like 1

That wasn't the point made.

They would have to, in theory, engineer two different suspensions for two different police vehicles. Is it worth the extra investment to do both when the PIU outsells the PI by such a wide margin.

Yes, exactly. I'm not saying it isn't doable or possible. I just don't know at what point it becomes an avenue not worth pursuing - if you'll have to re-engineer components of another separate vehicle/platform just for the sake of having a sedan PI offering to go along with your PIU (which is guaranteed as continuing), is it worth it?

I don't know if a one vehicle approach is any more or less likely than a two vehicle approach. I'm just simply thinking about it out loud.

How about this wild thought. Explorer PI and Taurus PI are in essence derived from same platform correct? UPI selling at close to twice the rate of Taurus. Why not give a real alternative in the form of an Expedition of for that matter 150 based alternative??? Anyone have a clue as to sales rate Caprice/Holden vs. Tahoe?

How about this wild thought. Explorer PI and Taurus PI are in essence derived from same platform correct? UPI selling at close to twice the rate of Taurus. Why not give a real alternative in the form of an Expedition of for that matter 150 based alternative??? Anyone have a clue as to sales rate Caprice/Holden vs. Tahoe?

A real alternative to what?

Caprice sold 124 units in January, not sure about previous monthly or yearly sales, but I'd imagine they're pretty low. I cannot speak to Tahoe police units as they're not broken down separately to my knowledge. Based on anecdotal evidence seeing what's local, I'd say Tahoe police units sell quite a bit more than Caprices.

Caprice sold 124 units in January, not sure about previous monthly or yearly sales, but I'd imagine they're pretty low. I cannot speak to Tahoe police units as they're not broken down separately to my knowledge. Based on anecdotal evidence seeing what's local, I'd say Tahoe police units sell quite a bit more than Caprices.

At least the Caprice can outsell the Carbon police car.

• Like 2

An alternative to a Ford PI based on Taurus/Explorer. Both suffer from the same issue- a confined interior. Both have the same mechanical roots. Every month you look at the stats and the UPI gains on the Taurus. I'm questioning the viability of spending some bucks on an Expedition based PI. Ford I believe advertises Expeditions for "Admin" or some such phrase police use, but I don't think it has the same ratings as the Tahoe police package.

I'm questioning the viability of spending some bucks on an Expedition based PI. Ford I believe advertises Expeditions for "Admin" or some such phrase police use, but I don't think it has the same ratings as the Tahoe police package.

What would be the point?? It wouldn't really offer a huge improvement over a PIU and would eat more gas and not be as maneuverable as the PIU.

• Like 1