The Official Crazy Go-Nuts Bronco Speculation Topic

Land Rover Defender is not exactly luxurious... it is very much in the same mold as Wrangler or Toyota Land Cruiser 70 series. But as you pointed out, Land Rover, and Toyota for that matter, cannot figure out how to build one to Wrangler's price point.

2014-Jeep-Wrangler-Interior-Design.jpg

2014-Land-Rover-Defender-Interior.jpg

175oi-interior-cab-chassis-gxl-dash-colo

I think Tata knows something about hitting price points. Besides, If this is the basis for an Indian Military truck, the price point will be close to where it needs to be. People will buy it for the badge.

I think Tata knows something about hitting price points. Besides, If this is the basis for an Indian Military truck, the price point will be close to where it needs to be. People will buy it for the badge.

I don't think they know the first thing about hitting a price point with a federalized vehicle---and that's assuming that Land Rover would want any part of an entry-level product built to a budget.

And, really, the spokesman for any second-coming of the Defender would have to be the ghost of Marlin Perkins:

hqdefault.jpg

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get back to sleeping with the television on.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

Two things come to mind;

First, I am surprised that FCA or any of the other former companies that owned Jeep have not sued for trademark infringment and...

Second, they can rename them "G.P." trails...for "General Purpose" which is the name that the Government originally called the Jeep...

Huh?

That's GREAT advertising...

I don't think they know the first thing about hitting a price point with a federalized vehicle---and that's assuming that Land Rover would want any part of an entry-level product built to a budget.

And, really, the spokesman for any second-coming of the Defender would have to be the ghost of Marlin Perkins:

hqdefault.jpg

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get back to sleeping with the television on.

"My assistant Tom will now attempt to circumcise a water buffalo!" - Robin Williams 1982

Do they?

Tata can build cheap cars for India market but they haven't demonstrated any ability to make an affordable mass market car that can meet EU or US safety and emission standards. Land Rover certainly has not been able to move down the cost curve, even when Ford owned it, which afford it a much large economy of scale from design to engineering to parts sourcing to manufacturing to marketing and sales support.

Edited by bzcat

I don't care if its an SUV (Bronco) or a truck (Ranger), but if it has a north-south drivetrain, low-range, manual transmission, and weighs less than 4500 lbs, I'm in. About **** time Ford built something that appeals to me. Until then I will keep running my '92 exploder unless the driver seat finally falls through the floor.

• Like 1

Do they?

Tata can build cheap cars for India market but they haven't demonstrated any ability to make an affordable mass market car that can meet EU or US safety and emission standards. Land Rover certainly has not been able to move down the cost curve, even when Ford owned it, which afford it a much large economy of scale from design to engineering to parts sourcing to manufacturing to marketing and sales support.

I was being sarcastic which does not come off well on a forum about the price point comment. I was trying to say in a funny way that Tata builds crap.

But I wouldn't put it past Tata to try. I don't think it will go very well. I think it would be likely them to offer a Wrangler fighter because:

1. The Indian government is looking for that type of vehicle

2. They probably think they can pull a Hummer like military/civilian product. Especially because Land Rover did this in the past.

Can it work? Yes, it it is executed well, which I don't think Tata can do... but a business can can certainly be made for it.

Also that article said 2 manufacturers were going to attempt this. We know one is GM. The other has to be in my opinion Toyota or Land Rover as I don't think Ford would attempt this.

I see little chance that Ford will bite off a lost cause, GM style, and directly compete against the Wrangler. This niche is rightfully won for all time by the Wrangler. Even the U.S. Forest Service officially refers to 4X4 vehicle trails as "Jeep trails". Perhaps, 1911 based pistols are the only other product to so solidly own a market segment. These are completely different types of products, but both markets are driven by interchangeable accessories and a tie to a tradition of performance.

Ford may return to making a compact, off-road oriented 4X4. I think it would be more likely aimed at facilitating other types of adventures that happen in the backcountry in contrast to off-road driving, in and of itself, being the main activity. Updating the 2004 Bronco concept and adding four door and pickup options would be the most logical direction. Doing this would put it more in the Defender's wheelhouse than the Wrangler's. Rover may own this niche in Africa, but not in North America. Nissan showed when they made a real Pathfinder/Patrol that there is an international market for a capable, more modern, and less expensive Defender.

Exactly. Like they say "There's only one Jeep."

The Wrangler and the CJs before are classics with heritage to back it up. Anything any other manufacturer throws up is obviously a "me too" trying to knock-off a few Jeep sales from the genuine legend. Yes, I like Jeeps. The fact is other manufacturers have been trying this since the 1961 International Harvester Scout 80...which is what that Bronco concept looks like more than the original Bronco. The Bronco didn't really become a sales success until 1978 when it grew to F-series size like the Chevy Blazer. At that point it wasn't trying to out-Jeep the CJ of course. Pretenders come and go (remember the Suzuki Samurai?) but they are just shadows of the original.

The original '61 Scout 80 in optional pickup version...

DesertScout80_004.jpg

Then again Jeep

jeep-wrangler-jk-8-conversion-kit.jpg

155111-add9-lg.jpg

Edited by F250
  • Like 1

When they say "Wrangler competitor" I don't know if they really literally mean a BOF, solid axle, rock crawler. Things like the 4-Runner, FJ40, XTerra, various Hummers have all been generally considered market competitors with the Wrangler.

Really? 4-the mall Runner? XTerra poser? Sawed-off 4-Runner = FJ40 = Cancelled

Exactly who was considering these competitors to the Legend?

2015-Jeep-Wrangler-Rubicon-Unlimited-fro

Really? 4-the mall Runner? XTerra poser? Sawed-off 4-Runner = FJ40 = Cancelled

Exactly who was considering these competitors to the Legend?

Market competitors - ask the people that cross shop them.

Certainly they don't have the off-road chops of the Wrangler, but in reality, they have have more than enough to get through plenty of tough trails plus they have the advantage that you don't have to live with a Wrangler. In fact, I don't even know of any trails within a couple hundred miles of where I live that a Wrangler isn't overkill for.

That said, as you pointed out, none of them have been setting sales charts on fire. I don't know what the business case is for a Bronco