Interesting article about new Ford GT

ONLY thing that is bothering me is some of the rumours surrounding pricing...one "source" stated $300k.....I think that's foolish, the last one was $160k, this shouldn't be more than $225k IMO, even better if under $200k, because dealers WILL be slapping some hefty addendums on them....

• Like 1

I was told around $200k by the same person who told me they had 3 prototypes running around before the GT was ever announced (I posted on here about them). I am going to trust his info over any other speculation.

Now what dealers do for markups.. well that is a different story.

Was also told a 2 year run so we will see.

Edited by blwnsmoke

The author's assertion that the 3.5L EcoBoost V6 is a "truck motor" is inaccurate. The engine was used in the MKS and Taurus SHO first, not to mention that the engine was first unveiled to the public in the Lincoln MKR concept under the name "Twin Force". Even the 3.5L Duratec V6 upon which the original EcoBoost V6 was based was used in cars and crossovers long before it found its way into the F-150.

• Like 1

The author's assertion that the original GT-40 also had a "truck motor" is not exactly accurate either. The small block 289 V8 was never used in any trucks until it became an option in the '67 Bronco, long after the GT-40 was first designed and raced. The 427 ci V8 that was used in later versions was also never used in a truck. While it's true that the FE series big block engines were used in the F-100 they were only 360 and 390 CI versions. Ford never built an F-100 or any other truck with a cross bolt main bearing 427 block.

The 332 and 352 CID FE engine was designed and built for Ford cars for 1958 and forward.

The Y block V-8 was used in trucks through the mid 60's (65 was the first year for the 352 FE in a truck, I believe). It was a very rugged engine so it stayed in trucks through 1976 (360). I believe the last use of an FE in a car was 1971 (390).

There is another aspect that is more important to the choice of engines. Ford is supposedly going to enter a race version into LeMans for the 50th anniversary of the original GT. I thought there was a limit on the size of NA engines. The short answer is the 5.2 flat plane wasn't going to be able to put out enough HP naturally aspirated. But the the 3.5 EB could be beefed up to handle the needed HP, plus up-sizing the turbo's and fuel system.

They they picked a 3.5EB based on needs. Not that it is currently being used in a truck. This GT 3.5 EB is a vastly upgraded EB.

Geez guys - stop taking the article so literally. It was a really broad generalization for a simple blog article.

The limitations are 4.0L forced induction or 5.5L NA. But there are limitations to power/weight for competitive reasons. In a lot of cases the race engine actually has less power than the road car version.

The 3.5L EB has been proven already in endurance racing. The 5.2L FPC has not. I'm sure the 3.5L EB gets better fuel economy than the 5.2L FPC and that's more important than raw power.

ONLY thing that is bothering me is some of the rumours surrounding pricing...one "source" stated $300k.....I think that's foolish, the last one was $160k, this shouldn't be more than $225k IMO, even better if under $200k, because dealers WILL be slapping some hefty addendums on them....

Production will be 250 units per year and Dave Pericak says that pricing will be comparable to the Lamborghini Aventador, which currently starts at $397,500.

fordman....yes it does....flashback to the prior GTs that at $165 sat and gathered dust....they would be foolish to price themselves out of the market, and competing against established exotics price wise is NOT the way....now, if you offer similar performance for a substantial savings THEN you do pass Go and you DO collect $200...someone needs to start a pool onto where MSRP will fall on this beast. IMO it will NOT be priced similar to the V12 Lambos or 458 Ferraris, let alone McLaren or 918s........that is pure arrogance and lacking common sense, Fisker , Saleen, Vector like....to mention but a few horn blowing failures.

fordman....yes it does....flashback to the prior GTs that at $165 sat and gathered dust....they would be foolish to price themselves out of the market, and competing against established exotics price wise is NOT the way....now, if you offer similar performance for a substantial savings THEN you do pass Go and you DO collect $200...someone needs to start a pool onto where MSRP will fall on this beast. IMO it will NOT be priced similar to the V12 Lambos or 458 Ferraris, let alone McLaren or 918s........that is pure arrogance and lacking common sense, Fisker , Saleen, Vector like....to mention but a few horn blowing failures.

Understand your perspective brother, I do. Just relaying the info. Pricing and volume realms disclosed during Ford's presser at the Geneva Motor Show. Remember, this time around, these cars are to be built in EXTREMELY limited numbers, guaranteeing exclusivity. That's what people in this demographic crave.

Edit: The pricing is correct, as more and more media outlets reporting Pericak's comments.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-new-ford-gt-will-be-really-really-expensive-and-there-wont-be-very-many-of-them/

Edited by OHV 16V

the GTs were extremely limited as well....AND were pretty much handbuilt, AND, ( hate to say this because its not an issue for me ) had a V8 with a blower, AND with a mere cold air and pulley were putting out 700hp AT THE WHEELS....at 400k someones ego is in serious overdrive.....SERIOUS OVERDRIVE....