considering a Taurus

I am thinking about trading in my 2009 Grand Marquis for a new 2014 or 2015 Taurus. I do not know much about the Taurus, except that it is a 6 cylinder . My hope is that the Taurus will have similar power to my Grand Marquis, but more comfortable seats than the bench style of my current car.

I would appreciate any thoughts, opinions, or advice regarding the purchase of a new Taurus .

I am thinking about trading in my 2009 Grand Marquis for a new 2014 or 2015 Taurus. I do not know much about the Taurus, except that it is a 6 cylinder . My hope is that the Taurus will have similar power to my Grand Marquis, but more comfortable seats than the bench style of my current car.

I would appreciate any thoughts, opinions, or advice regarding the purchase of a new Taurus .

Welcome to the Forum. :) Opinions are like... Everyone has one! Here is mine. You will not be disappointed in the power and comfort in the Taurus. Technology is miles ahead of the Panther cars. You certainly should go for test drive. Biggest complaint I have heard about the Taurus is the center console being too wide resulting in feeling closed in. One thing you can say for the Panthers is that they are bullet proof and basically last forever. The current Taurus has not been around long enough to get such a reputation. Not really a problem if you don't keep your car for many years.

Good luck! ;)

Diehard Panther fan here. My Avatar is of the last one I had-a 2007 Sport.I replaced it with a new (2010) Taurus SHO. Great car. As Danglin said, the interior with its big center console may seem confining at first-in particular if you are coming from a Panther. Aside from that, great vehicle.

Go drive one!

• Like 1

I would suggest test driving a Fusion also. It has quite a bit of room inside - more than you think and close to the Taurus. Some say it fits driver and passenger better than the Taurus. The 2.0L EB should have close to the same power as your old GM.

The current Taurus is based on a chassis that is proven and reliable and goes back to the Ford Five Hundred of 2005 and was itself based a Volvos P2 full size chassis. The car is miles ahead of your Grand Marquis in terms of refinement and technology. Not taking anything away from your current ride, but frankly, it's chassis design dates back to the late '1970's when Panther Chassis debuted which itself is most closely related to the Torino chassis that debuted in 1972.

The base engine in Taurus is more powerful and more efficient than the 4.6L modular motor found under the hood of your Marquis...many of the technologies in the Taurus V6 came out of the modular motor program....refinement is the key to more power and more efficient operation.

I would love to be able to order a "civilian" version with the column shift found in the PI version and ditch the giant center console as a result. I think that would make a great addition to the "civilian" line....

sedan_photo_15.jpg

sedan_photo_10.jpg

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

I've had my 2013 SHO for almost 2 years now. The interior console doesn't bug me, then again I've had 2 Mustangs and other sporty cars, so I don't mind/like the cockpit feel it has.

My biggest gripe about the car (outside of how big it is on the outside...but I deal with that) is the annoying re-enforcment bend in the middle od the floorboard of the car. I'm 6'2 and normally keep the seat pretty much all the way back and like to keep my feet near front of the seat when I have the cruse on...this bend in the floor board is right there and its unconfortable to keep my feet there because its not flat like every other car I've owned.

Have a couple minor bugs with MFT, sometimes the name doesn't come up in the right hand side of IP when I call someone and the other really annoying this is if I get a text message and its in reverse with the camera, the MFT quadrant comes up and blocks the view. Putting it into park and reverse again clears it.

I've driven a couple CV and Town Cars and much prefer the Taurus suspesion....its an awesome higway crusier that still has nice handling instead of feeling like your driving a couch with the Panther.

• Like 1

My parents had a 2012, FWD, N/A 3.5, Limited, not sure if the 2014 or 2015 would have any major differences but I don't think so.

Pros:

Got 28mpg average on our 1.5 hour highway trips doing mostly 72-80mph.

Engine quiet and smooth.

On smooth pavement, ride was very nice.

Handling is great.

Electronics worked fine but since you'd be years newer they won't be the same.

Trunk space is really good.

Cons:

Interior is small. I'm 6'3" 250 and was the driver. My dad is 5'10" and 230'ish, mom generally rode in back she's 5'9" 160. Dad would need his seat scooted forward, which put him closer to the dash than he would like, and mom would still be fairly cramped back there. For the exterior size of the vehicle, there is not a lot of interior room.

Cockpit design blows. I'm not driving a fighter jet, nor an F1 race car, nor a BMW. They need to get rid of the "sporty" shifter (on an automatic) and go column mounted as shown in pics above. The space this takes up for a general use vehicle is just unacceptable. Also, if you are taller, enjoy your right leg being completely stuck to the plastic cockpit they needed to fakely design in needlessly, rendering what otherwise, on a smooth road, would be an enjoyable ride into a far less enjoyable one.

Ride on rougher road is firm. While it doesn't produce the WTF is happening?! motions of Panther hitting a chuckhole going around a corner at 70, hitting all the little tar patches in lovely IL, the expansion joints, etc. will feel much more firm than your Panther, to the point on any stretch of road that has many of them (like IL does) you'll be wondering WTF Ford was thinking when they designed this thing.

When we were trading in the Taurus to get their Flex, the salesman told me upon me voicing my displeasure of the Taurus that the 2014 Fusion they had parked in the showroom had more interior room than the Taurus. It's a salesman, so who knows if whatever is coming out of his mouth was true and/or accurate, but, that is something to consider checking out.

Chuck

Edited by chucky2

I don't want a land yacht nor do I, in a general use car, want a faux BMW. In my parents '12 Limited, the ride needed about 15% less firmness, at least here in IL. If your roads are mostly smooth OP, with no F'd up expansion joints, tar patches (that aren't done properly), and bomb craters as part of your normal driving, then you can ignore my firm ride comments. Ride on a smooth road was very quiet and nicely smooth (that is to say, it didn't lurch around while providing a smooth ride). As for the column vs "floor" mounted shifter, we can agree to disagree. I put it in drive, it remains there for the duration of my drive. I can use that space for storage, drinks, whatever, I don't need to pretend I'm rowing gears when I'm not - and, we're not, so no need to pretend.

I agree, that is nice, but the loss in utilitarian space for my usage doesn't make it worth it. I don't like sitting on my wallet, and I like my cell up where I can use it. Frequently both I and front seat passenger have drinks. Front seat passenger also might not like sitting on their wallet and may also want to store the cell up front. Now we need to eat on the go...absolutely none of that is aided by a shifter that has zero use other than a hand rest over a column based shifter. They did the same thing in the Flex, which is even more crazy...

I have a 2011 SEL, all wheel drive, with 90,000 miles on it. It is my work car and is regularly abused on the streets of Chicago, driven regularly b/w 70 to 85 on the expressways, and has been idled a lot. The car is driven hard with a lot of jackrabbit starts and hard stops. Considering the driving conditions, it has aged very well. As far as service is concerned, a shutter motor in the climate control had to be replaced, and a seal in the rear differential was replaced. In regards to the cabin, I'm 5'11" 220, and I fit fine. I have the driver's seat all the way back, which doesn't leave a ton of room for the rear passenger, but I can still drive comfortably if I need to move it up to accommodate rear passengers. I have a lot of equipment in the trunk that fits nicely. The equipment weighs a fair amount and does not affect the driving dynamics of the car. The susoension is on the firm side, which I like for my type of driving. I really like the car, and it has served me well.

There's these things called front pockets you can use...

Yes, and we used those on the Taurus and use them on the Flex. They are simply not as easy, convenient, or quick to see what's in them and where as a storage bin up where the shifter is. Also the visual reminder the center bin provides of what is in it is far better than the door mounted storage bins, like when you exit the vehicle and want to remember to take your wallet with you.

Edited by chucky2

Yes, and we used those on the Taurus and use them on the Flex. They are simply not as easy, convenient, or quick to see what's in them and where as a storage bin up where the shifter is. Also the visual reminder the center bin provides of what is in it is far better than the door mounted storage bins, like when you exit the vehicle and want to remember to take your wallet with you.

I was referring to the front pockets of your pants haha.

Edited by rmc523

Thank you all for the replies. I visited a dealer yesterday and test drove a 2013 29K miles Taurus as well as a brand new Fusion.

I did not especially like driving either car, but would like to try again. 5 minute test drives are not enough for me to eliminate a car from consideration, especially since the one Ford product I have owned, a Grand Marquis for the past 5 years, has been such a good car.

Key point against the Taurus was the width and height, of the console. I drive with my right leg canted off to the right, but in the Taurus I assume I would need to learn to drive with my foot-leg-thigh etc.. all square to the accelerator pedal. I have driven cars with a center console, such as my wife's 2010 Malibu or my mom's 2010 Civic. Both those cars have lower profile consoles, though, so that my knee rests above the console rather than up against the side of it.

Edited by DG_1234

The current Taurus is based on a chassis that is proven and reliable and goes back to the Ford Five Hundred of 2005 and was itself based a Volvos P2 full size chassis. The car is miles ahead of your Grand Marquis in terms of refinement and technology. Not taking anything away from your current ride, but frankly, it's chassis design dates back to the late '1970's when Panther Chassis debuted which itself is most closely related to the Torino chassis that debuted in 1972.

The base engine in Taurus is more powerful and more efficient than the 4.6L modular motor found under the hood of your Marquis...many of the technologies in the Taurus V6 came out of the modular motor program....refinement is the key to more power and more efficient operation.

I would love to be able to order a "civilian" version with the column shift found in the PI version and ditch the giant center console as a result. I think that would make a great addition to the "civilian" line....

sedan_photo_15.jpg

sedan_photo_10.jpg

I like it .

Thank you all for the replies. I visited a dealer yesterday and test drove a 2013 29K miles Taurus as well as a brand new Fusion.

I did not especially like driving either car, but would like to try again. 5 minute test drives are not enough for me to eliminate a car from consideration, especially since the one Ford product I have owned, a Grand Marquis for the past 5 years, has been such a good car.

Key point against the Taurus was the width and height, of the console. I drive with my right leg canted off to the right, but in the Taurus I assume I would need to learn to drive with my foot-leg-thigh etc.. all square to the accelerator pedal. I have driven cars with a center console, such as my wife's 2010 Malibu or my mom's 2010 Civic. Both those cars have lower profile consoles, though, so that my knee rests above the console rather than up against the side of it.

And this is how I drive as well. My suggestion, if the dealer won't let you take it for a couple hour trip, is rent one and do so. As you point out, 5 minutes isn't enough time. When you get on the longer drive you'll begin to experience the leg cramping from having the leg straight out for so long, and the lovliness of plastic jammed up against your knee.

Haha gotcha. Then problem with that is I don't want to sit on my wallet for a long drive and I want to usr my cell. My front passenger is the same. Where does all the stuff go?

That's what I'm saying. Put your wallet in your front pocket. Then you never sit on it and don't have to move it all the time.

As for the phone...cup holder? Lap? I have a change bin spot (or at least that's what I use it for) where I'll put mine sometimes too.

Haha gotcha. Then problem with that is I don't want to sit on my wallet for a long drive and I want to usr my cell. My front passenger is the same. Where does all the stuff go?

Mine either goes in the storage nook under the HVAC controls or more commonly, the cup holder. Granted it's an older focus and not a taurus.