New Galaxy bows in Geneva

ford-galaxy-2016-9_653.jpg

Entering its fourth generation, the Galaxy predictably gets an evolutionary design that falls in line with the Blue Oval's current design language. The van's overall silhouette stays roughly the same but its front end is fitted with slim angular headlights and a hexagonal radiator grille with horizontal slats.

Inside, the Galaxy continues to offer seating up for to seven adults. It gains a number of available premium options including a retractable panoramic glass roof, massaging front seats, a fully configurable digital instrument cluster and Ford's Active Park Assist technology. Buyers who are planning on regularly towing heavy loads can order the Galaxy with an optional self-leveling rear suspension.

The 2016 Galaxy is offered with a wide range of diesel- and gasoline-burning four-cylinder engines sourced from the Ford parts bin. The headline-grabber is an all-new twin-turbocharged 2.0-liter TDCi diesel-powered unit that generates 207 horsepower and a stout 331 lb-ft. of torque at just 2,000 rpm. Ford boldly claims that its sequential twin-turbo technology all but eliminates turbo lag.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-galaxy-88081.html

ford-galaxy-2016-3_653.jpg

ford-galaxy-2016-14_653.jpg

ford-galaxy-2016-17_653.jpg

Definitely not a Focus ST. I was thinking more like Explorer/Aviator.

Yep, that would be a great engine for those two. I would love to see diesel prices on par with gasoline prices again (not just because I own a diesel :)), and see what kind of diesel vehicles we would have here in the states. If advancements of exhaust 'cleaning' I saw mentioned in another thread are true, that could be a big boon for diesels.

After seeing those two side by side like that, remind me again why people think that the Galaxie is needed in NA?

Because the one on top (7 seat Edge) isn't available in NA either!

I thought it was pretty well known that Edge (5psgr), Edge (7psgr), and Galaxy were all being developed under the same umbrella.

I could see a 7 row Edge replacing Flex and Explorer if the new Explorer goes more SUV/upscale.

Seems like a big if though. It's all but inevitable that Flex is gone in the next few years, but it seems like Ford is happy with the positioning of Explorer in the market, even with the addition of the Platinum trim. Not to mention that Aviator you keep referring to.

Because the one on top (7 seat Edge) isn't available in NA either!

I thought it was pretty well known that Edge (5psgr), Edge (7psgr), and Galaxy were all being developed under the same umbrella.

I did know that about the Edge & Galaxy (and S-Max). It is crazy that every C sized vehicle (Focus, Escape, Transit Connect, etc) have basically the exact same dash as does every CD sized vehicle (Fusion, Edge, Galaxy, etc.). I would like to see a little more cosmetic differences between different model interiors. I have Fusion and I've driven the new Edge Sport (BTW, very nice and that 2.7EB is AMAZING, back on topic...). The interior felt exactly the same with only difference being a bit more upright in the Edge. I was really expecting it to feel a little more different.

Sure. It's a slow news day.

In that case... 2 different sources are still talking about Explorer alligning itself higher in the marketplace in the next generation as it moves to a different platform that will underpin both Explorer and Aviator.

Like I said months ago (and was railed for on here), a 7 seat Edge would fit nicely in the arena where currently base and XLT Explorers play. I'm not sure it will come here with the Edge name, as I think the current NA Edge has a great reputation as a semi-luxury 5 seater, but I could see it coming nonetheless.

• Like 1

In that case... 2 different sources are still talking about Explorer alligning itself higher in the marketplace in the next generation as it moves to a different platform that will underpin both Explorer and Aviator.

Like I said months ago (and was railed for on here), a 7 seat Edge would fit nicely in the arena where currently base and XLT Explorers play. I'm not sure it will come here with the Edge name, as I think the current NA Edge has a great reputation as a semi-luxury 5 seater, but I could see it coming nonetheless.

Pick up the flex name when the current one dies?

What's the point of dividing the market up again with yet another product? Your starting to sound like what Caddy did with CTS...replace it with a product that costs a lot more and move a smaller product under it. if Explorer moves up in market, it will start butting into Expedition in pricing. Right now it covers the 30K to 52K price range with the 2016 Model...moving it up higher is going to do what? The 2016 MKX covers the 38K to 55K price range for Lincoln, so an Aviator Explorer would have to start in the 40K range

I doubt a 7 passenger Edge would be worth it in the States since the 3rd row would be almost useless vs a lower end Explorer with a 3rd row...D3 or not.

That dash looks identical to the one in the new Edge.

They are identical. Edge, S-Max, Galaxy are the same vehicles just with different exterior.

Escape and C-Max also have the same interior. They even share the same greenhouse and door panel.