More Super Duty caught testing, plus video

This one may have been a 4x2 it was rather low to the ground.

I was trying for your suspension shot but because the chin spoiler is so low on it you really couldn't see it. This didn't look like part of the Camo either it was very low -- I'd say under a foot off the ground I'm sure it helps with aerodynamics but I can see it getting ripped off pretty easy. There was this and the face lifted (camo) MKZ as well. I couldn't get though traffic to snag a photo or two of it from the front.

Next year is going to be crazy busy with new launches.

Ford's already selling Class 2 Transits with the 3.5L EB.

Yep...

I wouldn't bet against F-250 and F-350 with 3.5 EB

The real question is whether F-450 and F-550 will get it... probably not is my guess.

Edited by bzcat

Yep...

I wouldn't bet against F-250 and F-350 with 3.5 EB

The real question is whether F-450 and F-550 will get it... probably not is my guess.

The F4&550 won't get it. They don't get the 6.2L either. The F450 pickup is diesel only.

The GCWR of a transit is significantly less than that of a superduty. Mostly due to the fact that Transits aren't rated to pull 26,000 lbs or whatever number the current superduty is.

The F250 isn't rated that high either. You do realize that there is a HUGE spread from the F250 on up to the F450, right?

Please! leave the camo on. Looks much better that way IMO. Talk about a cluttered glitzy look. Only thing missing is the Bowtie!

That's not necessarily the final production version. I just hope they do away with that vent in front of the door. I would rather see sheet metal nearly identical to the F150 as the creases in the F150's fenders gives it a bit more character.

That's not necessarily the final production version. I just hope they do away with that vent in front of the door. I would rather see sheet metal nearly identical to the F150 as the creases in the F150's fenders gives it a bit more character.

Yeah, that vent thing looks terrible.

Or you increase the volume of cooled EGR to absorb some of that heat and make combustion more stable under load.

The trick is not enrichment or "lean boost" but adding an inert gas to occupy space and act as an expansive material

to provide work to the pistons. This is where those advanced combustion studies on improving efficiency point to..

And no, at this late stage I doubt that Ford would spend money duplicating the Cyclone block in CGI,

if Ford was to do anything, it would be to increase the capacity of the Nano V6 and provide a second engine.

I doubt any of that will happen in the immediate future.

I'm still holding out for a Nano based 3.6 liter 90 degree V8 Ecoboost engine for F Series and Explorer/Navigator.

With a possible 435 Hp/500 lb ft, I think that idea has much more purchase than a medium sized V8 diesel.

I am assuming the new 3.5 is a New 3.5 not the same engine as the current EB 3.5 becuase the current 3.5 isn't up to developing the 700hp the GT requires.

I don't understand how it makes any sense to develop a new 90 degree CGI block for a V8.

The "new" 3.5EB is more of an evolution. They've beefed up the internals to handle the higher HP. But bigger turbos and not just DI fuel injectors. I want to say they added port injectors as well. So 12 injectors. Not sure which injector is primarily used. But if you look up the new Ford Raptor coming out, they had some details on it.

The GT is using this same engine, with even more boost and tweaks.

Only thing that hasn't been said to my knowledge is if it is using aluminum or CGI block. We're hoping CGI to handle the pressures.

The "new" 3.5EB is more of an evolution. They've beefed up the internals to handle the higher HP. But bigger turbos and not just DI fuel injectors. I want to say they added port injectors as well. So 12 injectors. Not sure which injector is primarily used. But if you look up the new Ford Raptor coming out, they had some details on it.

The GT is using this same engine, with even more boost and tweaks.

Only thing that hasn't been said to my knowledge is if it is using aluminum or CGI block. We're hoping CGI to handle the pressures.

From what I understand or at least read back when the GT was first shown off, the new 3.5L Ecoboost is also slightly narrower in the space between the heads then the current model

...the chin spoiler is so low on it you really couldn't see it. This didn't look like part of the Camo either it was very low -- I'd say under a foot off the ground I'm sure it helps with aerodynamics but I can see it getting ripped off pretty easy.

You would think that, but if it's anything like the chin spoiler on my '13 F150, it's a lot tougher than it looks, which is good, as it's low enough to drag on curbs and blocks in parking spaces. Plus it's held on with a couple of substantial bolts that go through metal-reinforced holes on the spoiler itself; IIRC, the nuts are 17mm (I R&R the chin spoiler when I change the oil in my truck, as having it off makes accessing the oil filter much easier).

With what all the rain (about 25 inches over the last 30 days) has done to my driveway, that spoiler has had to be tough, as it has occasionally graded loose gravel and struck ground as I've forded raging rivers in what used to be a nice gravel drive that now looks like a mini Grand Canyon...

• Like 1

I am assuming the new 3.5 is a New 3.5 not the same engine as the current EB 3.5 becuase the current 3.5 isn't up to developing the 700hp the GT requires.

I don't understand how it makes any sense to develop a new 90 degree CGI block for a V8.

It was a thought to combine both the capacity of the Nano V6 into a new a new compact V8 that could be shared

across F150 and SD as well as Expedition and Navigator. The combining of Ecoboost and a V8 in a liveable package.

Looking forward, the new stronger Ecoboost 3.5 V6should hopefully allow Ford to correct a lot of areas in the current engine,

the engine we get next will be a quantum leap over the older cycleone based engine.