Interesting read on RAM ecodeisel *LINK FIXED*

fuzzymoomoo

I know it's just one source, but it seems as if they are dealing with similar problems to what Ford is going through with short F-150 supplies, and perhaps the demand isn't quite what they are claiming.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1099209_ram-diesel-pickup-trucks-dealer-stocks-low-but-sales-low-too

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Oddly enough the price of diesel has dropped significantly the past couple months (at least in my area) its now as cheap as regular (87 octane) gas...which has been unheard of since Low Sulfur Diesel went on sale years ago.

Isn't that because in the summer they don't need as much heating oil and in the winter the price will go up again as more is used for heating oil?

Isn't that because in the summer they don't need as much heating oil and in the winter the price will go up again as more is used for heating oil?

Yes, that is a lot of it, but that explains the differences between summer/winter prices of diesel. It has been a long time since the difference between diesel and gas has been this close. It's been 15 (summer)-40 (winter) % difference (with diesel being higher) since about 2012, but diesel is right on par with gas now.

Diesel prices are falling proportionally with the price of crude. Gasoline prices always take longer to react. Once the summer driving season is over, I bet gas prices fall like a rock. They're currently about $0.40 higher than they should be given the current price of crude. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but a rigged market is the only thing that can explain the behavior of gasoline markets at times.

• Like 1

Clearly, low fuel prices all around is encouraging buyers to stick with gasoline engines instead of switching to diesel.

In the rest of the world, history is that the higher the fuel price, the more people switch to diesel.....

Edited by jpd80

Diesel prices are falling proportionally with the price of crude. Gasoline prices always take longer to react. Once the summer driving season is over, I bet gas prices fall like a rock. They're currently about $0.40 higher than they should be given the current price of crude. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but a rigged market is the only thing that can explain the behavior of gasoline markets at times.

Most reports state gas will be around $2 or less on the East Coast of the USA by next year. Guess thats the only "good" thing to come out of the Iran deal.

The market is always rigged.. I work for one of the largest retail chains out there and I can tell you that we can average a low of a few cents per gallon of profit/margin on gas when we are very volatile and competitive with others and up to 25 cents a gallon when the market is slow (prices drop but we maintain our price). It is always quick to rise and slow to fall because people don't realize the true cost and we can take in more profit. Example, I have a sister station that is 7 minutes from me that is almost 20 cents cheaper then me.

Not only that but diesel margins are generally 40-60 cents a gallon so although diesel is "more expensive" to the consumer, the margins are much higher so the true cost is not much more. It's all a game...

For the first time I've found a station that is selling diesel cheaper then regular in my area. I have not seen this since 2008.

Edited by blwnsmoke

For the first time I've found a station that is selling diesel cheaper then regular in my area. I have not seen this since 2008.

The stations nearest me have regular and diesel at the exact same price. First time I've seen that since I bought my Super Duty (didn't pay attention before that). It's actually kinda nice. :)

I remember (in the late 80's) when regular was $.79 and diesel was $.59

Shortly after I got my '99 F150 in late '98, gas at a station near me was $0.68. I don't remember the reason for the drop, but it was only that low for a few days before it went back up. That is the lowest I ever remember it being (I didn't pay attention to gas prices when I was a kid :)), and my wife and I still joke about how we should have taken a picture.

Shortly after I got my '99 F150 in late '98, gas at a station near me was $0.68. I don't remember the reason for the drop, but it was only that low for a few days before it went back up. That is the lowest I ever remember it being (I didn't pay attention to gas prices when I was a kid :)), and my wife and I still joke about how we should have taken a picture.

The cheapest I'd ever paid for gas was .68 cents a gallon in January of 1998. I had my first Mustang at the time. Gas was around $1 a gallon in High School about 4-5 years prior to that.

Ugh...buncha youngsters...I remember paying $.57 and thinking it would put me out of business (thriving lawn mowing business as a 12 year old).

I remember my dad stopping at a station and having $2 worth of "Hi Test" pumped into his 7 Litre. They really did pump fuel for you in those days.

The cheapest I'd ever paid for gas was .68 cents a gallon in January of 1998. I had my first Mustang at the time. Gas was around $1 a gallon in High School about 4-5 years prior to that.

I also remember that quite distinctly. The "Asian Contagion" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Asian_financial_crisis

The powerful negative shock also sharply reduced the price of oil, which reached a low of about $11 per barrel towards the end of 1998
  • Like 1

Why did Ram add a diesel to the range before reducing the weight of the 1500?

That would have improve the fuel efficiency of all trucks, regardless of engines used.

That would require engineering resources they do not have. The diesel if off the shelf just to have a competitive offering against the EB.