Cadillac to bring Diesels back to U.S.

blwnsmoke

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/cadillac-confirms-bring-diesels-back-u-130000920.html

Cadillac will "definitely" bring diesels back to its U.S. lineup sometime over the next few years, brand chief Johan de Nysschen told Automotive News (subscription required) at a recent press event in Wisconsin.

The General Motors luxury brand is reportedly working on new four- and six-cylinder diesel engines.

They'll debut in Europe sometime around 2019, and go on sale in the U.S. sometime after that.

Lincoln won't say what it's doing 6 months from now. This guy talks about what he's thinking about doing 6 years from now.

Diesel Caddys will sell just as well in the U.S. as those ELRs.....

It's a bit precious of De Nysschen to lay out a road map so far in front when there is so much that needs to be done immediately.

Maybe that's why they talk of times far in the future, they actually have no idea how to get there apart form a bridge of money

Edited by jpd80

How about focusing more on where the actual customers are - making bigger profits by giving buyers what they actually want?

Diesel powered passenger cars and light trucks currently account for about 3% of the total U.S. vehicle market; that figure is expected to grow to 7% in 2020 using baseline scenario forecasts from Diesel Technology Forum. Additionally, Cadillac's most prominent competitors in the premium car segment - Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Audi - all offer diesel powertrains throughout their U.S. product lineups. As such, it's wise for Cadillac to "bring diesels back."

Edited by aneekr

Diesel powered passenger cars and light trucks currently account for about 3% of the total U.S. vehicle market; that figure is expected to grow to 7% in 2020 using baseline scenario forecasts from Diesel Technology Forum. Additionally, Cadillac's most prominent competitors in the premium car segment - Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Audi - all offer diesel powertrains throughout their U.S. product lineups. As such, it's wise for Cadillac to "bring diesels back."

The problem is that Caddy will upcharge for their Diesels, where as the German makes have the costs baked into the product and normally don't cost more then their gasser counterparts.

that figure is expected to grow to 7% in 2020 using baseline scenario forecasts from Diesel Technology Forum.

.....probably not the most unbiased source out there.

And while it's true that Cadillac's German competitors have diesels, I think that fifteen years of effort have pretty effectively demonstrated that Cadillac doesn't get to play in that sandbox.

Think about it: In about the same amount of time that GM has been trying to get traction w/Cadillac, Audi has re-established itself. And that's despite products with absolutely atrocious reliability, 'wrong-wheel drive', and generally speaking, less 'bang for the buck' than Cadillac.

I mean, GM pretty much has to go diesel at this point because they don't have a plug-n-play hybrid solution, but I don't think it's a good idea.

Think about it: In about the same amount of time that GM has been trying to get traction w/Cadillac, Audi has re-established itself. And that's despite products with absolutely atrocious reliability, 'wrong-wheel drive', and generally speaking, less 'bang for the buck' than Cadillac.

I don't know why GM experienced such difficulty attempting to elevate the Cadillac brand in the past 20 years. While the malaise in GM's corporate culture may explain some of it, the company's efforts in recent years (post bankruptcy) seems as concerted and as sincere as what VW AG has put forth for Audi.

Incidentally, Audi has dramatically improved reliability of its vehicles in the past five years. In Consumer Reports' most recent reliability survey, Audi was among the top five brands, with most of its cars and SUVs rated better or much better than average. In the context of Audi's third from the bottom rating in the 2011 survey, that's truly a "reliability renaissance" for the brand.

Edited by aneekr

I don't know why GM experienced such difficulty attempting to elevate the Cadillac brand in the past 20 years.

You can't push a rope uphill!

The American public are well served by MB, BMW and Audi--so to start with, there is minimal incentive to switch (think full size pickups and the difficulty Toyota has had there).

And for those who want to switch from German "performance/luxury", what is appealing about Cadillac's "performance/luxury" that is a conscious aping of the German experience?

I think it is instructive to observe that the most successful Cadillac products are those that are not the least bit sporty. This tells you something about the kind of Cadillacs that people *want*.

I can see a place for diesel in Utes where the added fuel economy and low down torque is appreciated

but really, pushing diesel in cars is an even smaller niche than performance RWD sedans..

The low sales of Diesel Cruze is more proof that buyers don't see the value perception of diesel economy in cars.

Edited by jpd80

You can't push a rope uphill!

------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it is instructive to observe that the most successful Cadillac products are those that are not the least bit sporty. This tells you something about the kind of Cadillacs that people *want*.

Those two quotes are sage advice.

Cadillac is a vertable printing press for GM, all they have to do is produce vehicles buyers want,

not the ones GM marketing execs want to improve Cadillac's image....that comes with buyer satisfaction.

Those two quotes are sage advice.

Cadillac is a vertable printing press for GM, all they have to do is produce vehicles buyers want,

not the ones GM marketing execs want to improve Cadillac's image....that comes with buyer satisfaction.

Nah, just throw darts and see what sticks. After all, that's kinda the GM way isn't it?

The low sales of Diesel Cruze is more proof that buyers don't see the value perception of diesel economy in cars.

I don't believe that the value proposition of diesel is why the sales are so low.

I think it's lack if a push. Similar to the 2005-2007 Five Hundred and Freestyle. Great cars that no one knew existed.

Don't believe me? Go ask 10 people on the street if they know the Cruze comes with a diesel.

I don't believe that the value proposition of diesel is why the sales are so low.

I think it's lack if a push. Similar to the 2005-2007 Five Hundred and Freestyle. Great cars that no one knew existed.

Don't believe me? Go ask 10 people on the street if they know the Cruze comes with a diesel.

Go ask 10 people what a Cruze is and they'll think you're talking about a Bahamas trip on a ship.

Your statement may be partially right, but even with more "push," I don't see it ever being a big seller.

• Like 1

Go ask 10 people what a Cruze is and they'll think you're talking about a Bahamas trip on a ship.

Your statement may be partially right, but even with more "push," I don't see it ever being a big seller.

Ram has shown they can sell in a certain quantity.

If GM marketing had a clue they could be selling 10-20k more units a year.

Ask 10 people if they want a diesel car.

Harris Interactive presented that question in a poll two years ago (n=2,041 adults). The survey found that interest in diesel cars varies by age group. Six out of ten respondents in the 18-34 yrs. group said they would buy a diesel powered car assuming parity between gasoline and diesel fuel prices (as is the case currently). Conversely, only four out of ten respondents over 45 yrs. of age said they would get a diesel car rather than a gasoline powered one.

• Like 1

Chrysler sells the 300 with the 3.0 Ecodiesel, in ROW markets and has done so for quite a few years.

The smart money on diesel is in heavier trucks and Larger Utilities where economy gains are greatest..

Edited by jpd80