Jeep Wrangler to stay in Toledo, Cherokee leaving, Wrangler-based pickup coming

silvrsvt

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150901/OEM01/150909993/jeep-wrangler-to-stay-in-toledo-cherokee-leaving-wrangler-based

FCA’s plan would ensure that Wrangler production would continue while the plant is retooled for the redesigned 2018 Wrangler. The off-roader is one of the automaker’s most popular and profitable vehicles. Production of the redesigned Wrangler and pickup is planned to reach 350,000 per year, according to suppliers briefed on the plan.

Hmmmm interesting....if not pie in the sky IMO

Last year in NA they sold 175k Wranglers, and 23k in Canada. That's 200k a year as of last year (and they are selling even better this year. +16% YTD...which would put them on track to sell around 230k for 2015).

Judging by how each consecutive year they sell more and more since the current model was launched (and that is just NA / Canada numbers), I don't think 350k is an unattainable target especially with the addition of a pickup model.

post-6726-0-15914800-1441130699.png

post-6726-0-15914800-1441130699_thumb.png

But what about increased competition from other products? The Wrangler IMO is pretty much in a market of its own.

This growth came at a time where the FJ and a number of other "outdoors lifestyle" vehicles were available like the XTerra, etc...

I'm guessing you are referring to the upcoming Bronco? This has kinda been discussed, but what will Ford offer to get people into a Bronco that the Wrangler doesn't already have covered or that someone already did not try? (rhetorical question since we don't even know what the Bronco will be....let alone if it will even be a Wrangler competitor)

Edited by Intrepidatious

This growth came at a time where the FJ and a number of other "outdoors lifestyle" vehicles were available like the XTerra, etc...

I'm guessing you are referring to the upcoming Bronco? This has kinda been discussed, but what will Ford offer to get people into a Bronco that the Wrangler doesn't already have covered or that someone already did not try? (rhetorical question since we don't even know what the Bronco will be....let alone if it will even be a Wrangler competitor)

Most of us are just reading tea leaves when it comes to the new Bronco, all signs are pointing to it being essentially the ROW Everest but aimed squarely at the Wrangler. It shouldn't be that hard for Ford to get people to buy a Bronco. All they need to do is make it easily customizable, fix the roof leak issues that have plagued the Wrangler for YEARS, add a little more luxury that Wrangler offers and voila.

FJ and XTerra weren't huge sellers. FJ wan't ever intended to be anyway.

I think the Thunderbird proved that heritage does not sell a car.

Heritage alone*

Heritage is merely a component of potential success. It can obviously help out a model, but when you make something like Thunderbird that looks cool, but there's nothing underneath it (underpowered, impractical, etc), heritage will only take it so far. Ford has come a long way since then. Any Bronco they build I'm sure will have the 'bones' to be able to take advantage of/back up its heritage.

• Like 1

Well the Thunderbird was kind of a terrible car, but lessons learned from it gave us the 2005 Mustang, which was loosely based off it.

That's an urban myth. It started that way but the end result was only the floor pan and fuel tank design was actually shared.

• Like 1

Well, first you need a vehicle that people want to buy......

I have to agree with that, the retro-Thunderbird didn't fail because of heritage. It failed because it wasn't all that visually appealing and it had a price tag that ensured a very small customer base. If you look at the S197 Mustang, which essentially followed the same "heritage" idea, it did very well.

I have to agree with that, the retro-Thunderbird didn't fail because of heritage. It failed because it wasn't all that visually appealing and it had a price tag that ensured a very small customer base. If you look at the S197 Mustang, which essentially followed the same "heritage" idea, it did very well.

That's because IMO the S197 Mustang did the "heritage" idea better than that T-bird did.

• Like 1

That's because IMO the S197 Mustang did the "heritage" idea better than that T-bird did.

I'd agree with that. The Mustang really nailed the retro look without over doing it and by the 2013 / 2014 model it was very well done for my personal tastes. It also helped that the price tags were low enough that it had a broad customer base. Ironically this has also been the appeal of the Jeep. It has constantly maintained that iconic Jeep look while at the same being affordable enough for a broad customer base.

A Ford badge? Sync 3? A V8 engine? Bronco heritage?

I don't see it as a direct competitor but something different for Ford buyers similar to the Raptor.

That's me to the dot.

A loyal Ford Customer not in the market for anything in Ford's current lineup.

A Bronco would bring me back in a heartbeat.