EcoBoost a really good marketing scheme

Referring to it as a marketing.........scheme.......makes it sound like something that's at least misleading, or possibly nefarious.

Based on the author's description every trademarked name must a scheme. ("Quattro" anyone?)

"Ecoboost" is just a trademark. (I'm assuming Ford trademarked the name, since it would seem foolish if they didn't)

• Like 1

So the writers at Jalopnik have just discovered that car makers use catchy marketing terms to describe various features, even after the competition has also adopted them?

Thank goodness these pups weren't around in the 1950s when GM continued using Hydramatic even after Ford, Chrysler, AMC and Studebaker-Packard had also begun offering automatic transmissions.

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 2

So the writers at Jalopnik have just discovered that car makers use catchy marketing terms to describe various features

Well, they write for Jalopnik so it wouldn't surprise me if that's a new discovery for them. :hysterical:

Ford deserves credit for creating what DeMuro labels a "brilliant marketing scheme", because that's indeed what the Ecoboost moniker is. VW and General Motors offered spark ignition direct injection engine technology years before Ford did in the U.S. market, but the labels 'TFSI' and 'SIDI' used by those respective automakers weren't as catchy as 'Ecoboost'.

But did VW and GM have direct injection and turbos together? Ecoboost isn't DI, it GTDI.

Yes for VW and Mazda too.

Understand that the technology was pioneered by Bosch, and unlike the US makers in Europe like ford and VW don't write the code for their engines they rely on Bosch and other tier 1 suppliers to do it.

Bosch wrote the software for gen1 ecoboost and VW's cheating TDIs. Bosch also developed he injectors and controls for most GTDI engine used 5 years ago.

Edited by Biker16

Yes for VW and Mazda too.

Understand that the technology was pioneered by Bosch, and unlike the US makers in Europe like ford and VW don't write the code for their engines they rely on Bosch and other tier 1 suppliers to do it.

Bosch wrote the software for gen1 ecoboost and VW's cheating TDIs. Bosch also developed he injectors and controls for most GTDI engine used 5 years ago.

Bosch specifically told VW not to use that code in production vehicles as it was illegal.

IIRC, Ford has taken over the programming for the EB engines. Bosch was used in Gen 1 to get it off the ground, but Ford has taken over and made improvements since then.

Bosch supplied the GDI system for EcoBoost, but not the entire package.

The turbos were initially Honeywell (not sure if they still are).

By 2009, Ford had obtained 125 patents for the EcoBoost system:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/05/ford-files-125-patents-on-3-5l-v6-ecoboost-mostly-for-controls/

The Ford powertrain management strategy uses hundreds of thousands of lines of computer code and related parameters that are adjusted to optimize the engine and transmission operation. It's these processes that largely make up the EcoBoost patent contribution and make Ford's use of direct injection and turbocharging of its engines like no other automaker in the world.

So, no, Bosch did not write the code for the EB PCM.

And a closer look at Bosch's comments on the VW fracas suggests that they either did not write the VW diesel PCM code, or wrote it to spec:

http://www.bosch-presse.de/presseforum/details.htm?txtID=7421&tk_id=108

For the VW models named in the reports, Bosch supplied the common-rail injection system as well as the supply and dosing module for exhaust-gas treatment.

As is usual in the automotive supply industry, Bosch supplies these components to the automaker’s specifications. How these components are calibrated and integrated into complete vehicle systems is the responsibility of each automaker.

I do find it interesting that Bosch apparently wrote a memo to file about VW's defeat software; undoubtedly they did that to ensure against claims by VW that Bosch engineered a defeat system and didn't tell VW that it had done so.

When you're talking about an internal combustion engine there isn't much you can come up with that someone somewhere hasn't already invented.

But it's clear that Ford was the market leader in GTDI engines in the U.S. for the last several years if you look at the number of models and units sold.

When you're talking about an internal combustion engine there isn't much you can come up with that someone somewhere hasn't already invented.

But it's clear that Ford was the market leader in GTDI engines in the U.S. for the last several years if you look at the number of models and units sold.

what's more amazing is how quickly that happened too.

what's more amazing is how quickly that happened too.

And that's where Ford's brilliant marketing of all things Ecoboost paid off. Despite issues that some Ecoboost engines have exhibited in real world use, I bet that if a survey was fielded asking consumers what OEM is most closely associated with turbo spark ignition direct injection engines, 'Ford Motor Company' would be the most common response.

I bet that if a survey was fielded asking consumers what OEM is most closely associated with turbo spark ignition direct injection engines, 'Ford Motor Company' would be the most common response.

Which makes sense when you consider that last year alone Ford sold over 600K ecoboost equipped vehicles just between F150 and Fusion. Which other mfr even comes close?

And that's where Ford's brilliant marketing of all things Ecoboost paid off. Despite issues that some Ecoboost engines have exhibited in real world use, I bet that if a survey was fielded asking consumers what OEM is most closely associated with turbo spark ignition direct injection engines, 'Ford Motor Company' would be the most common response.

well actually, if you phrased it that way, most people would probably look at you sideways and wonder wtf are you talking about

point taken though.

• Like 3

Which makes sense when you consider that last year alone Ford sold over 600K ecoboost equipped vehicles just between F150 and Fusion. Which other mfr even comes close?

don't forget the almost 40k Expeditions and Navigators this year too. Who would have thought that would be a thing as well.

don't forget the almost 40k Expeditions and Navigators this year too. Who would have thought that would be a thing as well.

I just grabbed the low hanging fruit that I didn't have to go look up. I guess I could have included Escape as well since all of them are EBs now. That's another 300K.