It's official: for police, the Ford Taurus and Explorer are the new Crown Vic

A police commander told me the new police Explorers on patrol duty use more even more gas than the old CVPIs did, around 12mpg. Has anyone else heard that?

I highly doubt that because PIU weights less than CVPI and has much more modern transmission.

Even if the MPG is not great, you have to take into account that PIU is much more powerful and faster vehicle than CVPI.

I love my '13 Interceptor at works. We don't have the Ecoboost one. They're solid car and they are planted to the road. We don't have much issues with them (but mine is currently in the shop to replace a craqued exhaust manifold). I drive our last Crown Vic meanwhile. They have that old school 'cruising' around feeling of a classic car, but they're slow and pigs on gas compared to a Taurus. And being in rural Nova Scotia, if I have to respond to a light and sirens, high emergency call, I've got way more confidence in the AWD Taurus to carve along our twisty, badly damaged coastal Highways.

Plus, it should start snowing in the next few weeks up here; that's where the new Interceptors really shines.

• Like 1

That percentage will continue increasing in time as more PDs switch to PIU and discover

it's way better than the PI sedan, I think Ford is on a winner with Explorer for PDs and

the next gen Ecoboost engines will drive that advantage home...

The competition are basically sitting still with LEVs.

Edited by jpd80

GM probably wishes they had sat still. Instead they spent who knows how much trying to turn the Holden into the Chevy flagship/cruiser and they've barely sold a hanful of the things. Maximum Bob's legacy strikes again.

To tell the truth, Bob lead Holden to believe that if they designed Zeta to accommodate American vehicles

covering up to a "Traverse" sized SUV then lots of orders and follow on plants would happen in North America.

One by one, GMNA re-negged on products, the biggest was Zeta Impala with no new replacement in sight...

GM may have the large Ute LEV sewn up but it totally screwed up getting an AWD LWB Impala in there

against Ford's PI and not having a competitor against Explorer PIU was an even worse miss..

Edited by jpd80

GM may have the large Ute LEV sewn up at the moment, but, as those Tahoes in fleets are aging out, I'm seeing more and more of them replaced with PIUs. There were a few reasons that the Tahoe was so popular as an LEV, it has a big cargo area for all their gear, a higher profile, 4 X 4 for rough weather and terrain, and was generally reliable and rugged. The PIU fixes several of those area while also offering tidier exterior dimensions, better fuel economy, and more improved ergonomics.

Going forward, I know that a few Law Enforcement agencies in the area have purchased a handful of new Expeditions (this year's refresh with the EB V6) to see how the EB does on gas, performs compared to the Tahoe, and how the maintenance is on it. One thing to keep in mind, if they already have the PIU with the EB engine package, the Expedition will have a lot of general scheduled maintenance parts in common with it, making it that much easier to support. If it proves as rugged as the Tahoe, while getting better gas mileage, I can see more and more agencies switching over to the Expedition. And, having the Expedition L to offer against the Suburban, Ford has a solution there too. I can only imaging what they can do when they switch the Expedition over to an aluminum intensive body and shave off a good 500+ to maybe near 1000 lbs (unless they go for increased frame strength). Even though gas prices have gone down, budgets are still tight and fuel savings still affect TCO.

To tell the truth, Bob lead Holden to believe that if they designed Zeta to accommodate American vehicles

covering up to a "Traverse" sized SUV then lots of orders and follow on plants would happen in North America.

One by one, GMNA re-negged on products, the biggest was Zeta Impala with no new replacement in sight...

GM may have the large Ute LEV sewn up but it totally screwed up getting an AWD LWB Impala in there

against Ford's PI and not having a competitor against Explorer PIU was an even worse miss..

I could see a PPV Traverse and PPV retail Impala with turbo v6 available, as said GM "took a money bath" with the Zeta/BK debacle.

In reality what GM will go with is current Tahoe PPV, Tahoe SSV and a Omega-based car that replace current Caprice, Impala and fleetpala. A retail 16' Malibu based PPV is said to be a possibility soon too.

GM may have the large Ute LEV sewn up at the moment, but, as those Tahoes in fleets are aging out, I'm seeing more and more of them replaced with PIUs. There were a few reasons that the Tahoe was so popular as an LEV, it has a big cargo area for all their gear, a higher profile, 4 X 4 for rough weather and terrain, and was generally reliable and rugged. The PIU fixes several of those area while also offering tidier exterior dimensions, better fuel economy, and more improved ergonomics.

Going forward, I know that a few Law Enforcement agencies in the area have purchased a handful of new Expeditions (this year's refresh with the EB V6) to see how the EB does on gas, performs compared to the Tahoe, and how the maintenance is on it. One thing to keep in mind, if they already have the PIU with the EB engine package, the Expedition will have a lot of general scheduled maintenance parts in common with it, making it that much easier to support. If it proves as rugged as the Tahoe, while getting better gas mileage, I can see more and more agencies switching over to the Expedition. And, having the Expedition L to offer against the Suburban, Ford has a solution there too. I can only imaging what they can do when they switch the Expedition over to an aluminum intensive body and shave off a good 500+ to maybe near 1000 lbs (unless they go for increased frame strength). Even though gas prices have gone down, budgets are still tight and fuel savings still affect TCO.

I don't believe the Expedition is rated by Ford as a PI. Don't they refer to it as a "utility/admin" or some such "non Interceptor" designation.

I highly doubt that because PIU weights less than CVPI and has much more modern transmission.

Even if the MPG is not great, you have to take into account that PIU is much more powerful and faster vehicle than CVPI.

The Crown Vic would likely have been better on the highway due to small frontal area for aerodynamics.

Pursuit rated is what you're thinking.

The 2wd Tahoe is pursuit rated. The 4wd is not.

Ah! that's the term. It is NOT pursuit rated-yet! Don't know what it woud take to do that but agree with others- With EB mpg numbers might be a very attractive alternative to departments that want a rugged BOF vehicle .

• Like 1

I bet the current Ford PIs are just as rugged as the old Crown Vic.....

Perhaps "rugged" is not the right word. Perhaps "repairability" is a better term. And by no means do I have any understanding of BOF repair costs vs Unibody but I have to think for the typical "on job" damage, I would think its a lot cheaper to pull a front fender assembly off a CV than it might be repairing front end damage on a Taurus/Explorer PI whan there is a good chance you are also into suspension work??

Well I think here in Mass. the state police should be developing that info. I think they have over 400 Explorers in service and I'll bet at least once or twice a week a trooper gets rammed while he is on one of the Interstates doing a detail

AFAIK, there's minimal difference between changing the front fenders on a unibody & a BOF car. Both are bolted on. Heck, I changed the fender on a Tempo in about an hour or so with no prior experience and, if anything, I was shocked at how little there was holding it onto the car.

I would guess that any hit hard enough to damage the suspension on a unibody car would damage the suspension on a BOF car as well.

The Mopar RWD cars of the 60s through the 80s were unibody, but are considered "classics" by some vintage Police Car enthusiasts.

Yep... one of my favorite police car the 1975-78 Plymouth Fury. I grew up watching American TV shows while living overseas in the 80s. The Fury (and Dodge Monaco) were the default police car in many TV shows.

L-Chrysler-78-Plymouth-Fury-from-Los-Ang

Yep... one of my favorite police car the 1975-78 Plymouth Fury. I grew up watching American TV shows while living overseas in the 80s. The Fury (and Dodge Monaco) were the default police car in many TV shows.

L-Chrysler-78-Plymouth-Fury-from-Los-Ang

They were the last cars available with 440 power. Though emissions choked the next, newer cop car that out gun the 440 was 83' 5.0 Mustang. Edited by Fgts

For sure to a point but as we suspected, the total package is more important to PDs.

It's great that PDs also discovered that the PIU is better for needs and also smaller

and less costly than Tahoe....let's hope the sales bleed continues..