Autonews: Once-promising dual-clutch transmissions lose favor in U.S.

Without data, I don't buy your argument ! Sure wet clutches are more expensive, but expensive enough to put it on par with a 4-6 speed auto ? I don't think so !

I Don't have the data, but if the hydraulic controls for the Older DCT was similar to conventional ATXs with a gear driven pump and valves to control clutch actuation and shifting, wouldn't that put it on par with other ATX's? At least the price difference between the older Wet DCT and convetional ATX wasn't enough to warrant the risks that Ford has taken with the Dry DCT.

I don't think anyone here appreciates how much cheaper the Dry DCT is over the 6F or other ATXs.

As much as I want a manual, stop and go downtown driving is not compatible.

Its doable...what was the last car you owned with a stick? Its a huge difference between a hydraulic clutch vs manual clutch. I had a 2002 SVT Focus that had a hydraulic clutch vs the manual one in my 98 Mustang GT. I had to drive the GT after a couple weeks of driving the Focus and I had a hard time because there was such a big difference between the two.

I drove my 2006 Mustang GT in stop and go traffic all the time, wasn't a huge problem.

• Like 1

I actually prefer a manual in stop and go traffic. Got caught in a major backup in my Escape about three weeks ago and was bored out of my mind with the automatic. I mainly use the Escape on the highway, so it doesn't make any difference to me there. I do have to say that I am not sure if I would upgrade my clutch if I were doing the clutch replacement in my 3 again. The extra torque capacity is nice for spirited driving, but it is a lot heavier than the stock one when you're sitting in stop and go traffic. If I had to do stop and go traffic all day, I'd have a stick with a light clutch.

truth be told, manual doesn't bother me in traffic, its just sitting there....so, motorcycle it is, I have no patience for the 15 mile trip I take on the 405 freeway taking 1 hour.......wouldn't matter if the car was an auto, its 35 minutes on the bike in the HOV lane. Sadly there's apartment complex's going up everywhere and the freeways cant handle traffic NOW...its only going to get worse...