Focus Electric gets fast DC charger

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2017-ford-focus-electric-to-get-new-dc-fast-charger-90452.html

The updated compact will inaugurate a new DC fast charger that will gradually trickle down to other eco-friendly members of the Blue Oval's lineup. In the Focus, the charger will provide an 80-percent charge -- enough to drive for 100 miles -- in as little as half an hour. Solving a quick math equation reveals the 2017 Focus Electric will boast a total driving range of approximately 125 miles, a nearly 50-mile improvement over the current model.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/2017-ford-focus-electric-to-get-new-dc-fast-charger-90452.html#ixzz3u92kVMov

Even at 125 mile range, the Focus EV is now a more usable package especially for those who do a lot more driving

in the city where chargers are more readily available. Fast charging is making up for some of the perceived deficit

of a sub 200 mile range - the benefit being a sub $30K price.

• Like 1

Regardless of how quickly it can charge, it's use is still limited. I wonder if an electric vehicle charging infrastructure goal is in the climate agreement signed in Paris. This is an area the federal government and private investors need to come together to build stations across the country. Even with 200+ mile range vehicles, without "fueling" stations, BEV sales will remain flat. If you haven't figured it out, that's why I'm a PHEV man.

As someone who has a commuter car and a SUV for hauling stuff and taking trips, I'd love the replacement for my commuter to be electric. I do want to own a manual transmission vehicle though, so my ideal would be having a Escape ST with a manual transmission and then a Focus electric or similar. If I had to replace my commuter with a new vehicle today, it would either be a Focus electric or a Focus ST. Of course, I usually keep cars 10-15 years and don't want my cars to need replacing at the same time so I would probably get another used one if I needed to replace in the next year or two.

How much of an impact would you see on the batteries in cold weather? How much would the range suffer?

If someone can offer an electric car that gets about 250 miles, can recharge to about 80% of that range in 30 minutes or so and sell for about $30K will be a world beater...wouldn't hurt if it had performance like the Telsa S P85D either ;)

• Like 1

How much of an impact would you see on the batteries in cold weather? How much would the range suffer?

That’s an excellent question. It seems all these 200 mile+ range figures we keep reading about are for when it’s 75 F degrees outside. Every state in the U.S. can get below freezing in the winter and a majority can get below zero. We had -34 F at our house once last winter. The high temperature for that day was -8 F. What would an electric car’s range be at those temps?

And yes, my old 1994 F-150 started up and ran perfectly well in that kind of weather.

That’s an excellent question. It seems all these 200 mile+ range figures we keep reading about are for when it’s 75 F degrees outside. Every state in the U.S. can get below freezing in the winter and a majority can get below zero. We had -34 F at our house once last winter. The high temperature for that day was -8 F. What would an electric car’s range be at those temps?

And yes, my old 1994 F-150 started up and ran perfectly well in that kind of weather.

Interesting - I just looked that up because I was sure that Hawaii had never been below freezing, but it had (15 degrees F in 1931).

The more interesting fact is that every other state and D.C. has a record low below 0F.

As I understand it the cold doesn't affect the batteries directly as much as it causes you to use the heater which drains the batteries much faster. Or maybe it's a combination.

Point being is heater use would be somewhat variable between drivers making it difficult to come up with a single standardized number for all drivers. Then again that never stopped the EPA gasoline mpg ratings.

Interesting - I just looked that up because I was sure that Hawaii had never been below freezing, but it had (15 degrees F in 1931).

The more interesting fact is that every other state and D.C. has a record low below 0F.

As I understand it the cold doesn't affect the batteries directly as much as it causes you to use the heater which drains the batteries much faster. Or maybe it's a combination.

Point being is heater use would be somewhat variable between drivers making it difficult to come up with a single standardized number for all drivers. Then again that never stopped the EPA gasoline mpg ratings.

There was a day (or a couple days) a few years ago where every state had snow on the ground at the same time.

February 12, 2010 to be exact. https://www.climate.gov/news-features/featured-images/five-years-ago-week-all-50-states-had-snow-ground

As far as the batteries go, the chemical reaction in batters is slower when it is colder, so there is less 'juice' to use at a given time. However, I would think that would translate to less power, not less distance. But, since you use less per instant, wouldn't that theoretically increase the range by forcing you to accelerate more slowly? As the battery heats up, the reaction speeds up, increasing the available power in the battery at that instant. That's why you turn the lights on before starting your car in extremely cold weather...to warm the battery.

rub what in? im working on fixing it. if only i could find my old tax records....

I feel you man. I grew up in the country, moved to the city for two years for work, and couldn't wait to get out of that place! Now, I'm back in the country, living about 3 miles from where I grew up. I love life here, and hope you can find what you are looking for.

Electric cars don't work that well for us out here though (trying to keep it on topic). Actually, it would work well for my wife's commute, but then we'd have to have a 3rd car or take my truck on every trip.

In that case, turn on the radio, open the doors, put your foot on the brake pedal, and honk the horn.

Or get an electric blanket, plug it in to the accessory outlet and wrap it around the battery? The current draw would heat up the battery and the electricity would add more heat to the battery instead of being wasted.

You guys clearly aren't thinking outside the box.......

Or get an electric blanket, plug it in to the accessory outlet and wrap it around the battery? The current draw would heat up the battery and the electricity would add more heat to the battery instead of being wasted.

You guys clearly aren't thinking outside the box.......

Why didn't I think of that? :idea: