Ford adding 4 new SUVs for Ford, Lincoln brands

Was a little surprised by this being "new name plates". So what are they? Bronco (is this considered a "new name plate" being it's been used in the past?

The Ranger isn't a SUV.. As far as Lincoln goes, Aviator??

Ford plans to add four new utility vehicles to the lineup over the next few years and they will be new nameplates, including at least one for the Lincoln brand.

CEO Mark Fields announced the SUV plans during a presentation at the 2016 North American International Auto Show. He did not provide further details.

Was a little surprised by this being "new name plates". So what are they? Bronco (is this considered a "new name plate" being it's been used in the past?

The Ranger isn't a SUV.. As far as Lincoln goes, Aviator??

Well, in the announcement yesterday, they mentioned 4 new SUVs coming in the next few years, and then transitioned into talking about the new Escape (refresh). I missed the part where they said they'll be new nameplates, and that one would be a Lincoln.

But, if one of the 4 is a Lincoln, that makes more sense.

I'd say the 4 would be:

-EcoSport (or another name here to avoid EcoBoost confusion)

-Escape

-Expedition

-Aviator

But that wouldn't make sense, as that leaves out the Navigator. So I guess from that list, you could replace Escape, as it's just a refresh, but on the flip side, they mentioned by name that one was Escape (unless I misunderstood what they were saying, I'll have to rewatch it).

Well, in the announcement yesterday, they mentioned 4 new SUVs coming in the next few years, and then transitioned into talking about the new Escape (refresh). I missed the part where they said they'll be new nameplates, and that one would be a Lincoln.

But, if one of the 4 is a Lincoln, that makes more sense.

I'd say the 4 would be:

-EcoSport (or another name here to avoid EcoBoost confusion)

-Escape

-Expedition

-Aviator

But that wouldn't make sense, as that leaves out the Navigator. So I guess from that list, you could replace Escape, as it's just a refresh, but on the flip side, they mentioned by name that one was Escape (unless I misunderstood what they were saying, I'll have to rewatch it).

Well that doesn't make sense though if they are new nameplates. That would only leave the EcoSport and Aviator. And I don't know if I could call the Aviator a new name plate as it has been used before (of course they could rename it something new). That's why it was throwing me off on what the 4 could be.

Edited by blwnsmoke

Raj Nair, head of global product development, confirmed the four will be additional models -- not just updates of existing ones sold in the U.S

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/01/12/ford-adding-four-more-suvs-show-their-popularity/78704178/

There's also this:

Lincoln already has a compact crossover with the MKC, a midsize crossover with the MKX and a full-size SUV with the Navigator. Adding an Explorer-sized, three-row crossover still leaves room to add a subcompact crossover, as well.

1. B-segment (Ecosport but it won't be call that)

2. C-segment (something to slot in between Ecosport and Escape and compete with Subaru VX, Nissan Qashqai, Hyundai Tucson, Jeep Compass etc)

3. Ranger based SUV (Bronco)

4. Lincoln Explorer (MKT or another MK)

Edited by bzcat

You forgot Bronco

Good point, completely forgot about that.

Well that doesn't make sense though if they are new nameplates. That would only leave the EcoSport and Aviator. And I don't know if I could call the Aviator a new name plate as it has been used before (of course they could rename it something new). That's why it was throwing me off on what the 4 could be.

Oh I agree. I was speculating based on the idea that all 4 were not new nameplates.

Interesting that they're adding 4. I also find it odd that they'd include Lincolns in that total with the effort they've gone to separate the brands (Ford Motor, Lincoln Motor, etc).

1. B-segment (Ecosport but it won't be call that)

2. C-segment (something to slot in between Ecosport and Escape and compete with Subaru VX, Nissan Qashqai, Hyundai Tucson, Jeep Compass etc)

3. Ranger based SUV (Bronco)

4. Lincoln Explorer (MKT or another MK)

Do they really need something to slot between an EcoSport and Escape? Sounds like splitting hairs to me.

• Like 1

Do they really need something to slot between an EcoSport and Escape? Sounds like splitting hairs to me.

Yes, it is the fastest growing auto segment worldwide right now. Everyone is adding new models there. Ford needs something there when the next generation Focus comes out.

I thought one of Ford's reasons for killing the Taurus off and moving the MkS was for more Explorer production?

But given how much an Aviator would cost and how many they would be a that would be able to build, I don't think giving up 30-50K a year of Explorer production of a product started at 45-50K and go north of 70-80K would be an issue when it comes to profits.