Distracted driving

I have mine on all the time. Otherwise they'd never be used. I've never been blinded by fog lights, so not sure how that's that big of a deal. Plenty of people driving around with high beams on, now THAT is annoying. Flashing my high beams at them only sometimes works.

Me, too. I like the extra light especially on back roads with oncoming traffic. Besides, I paid for them why not use them? They definitely don't blind anyone unless they're misadjusted or some idiot put hids in there.

don't get me started....I cant ride a single mile without witnessing something, that if ticketed, would cost the individual a BOATLOAD. And nice to see the article stated something I stated several times....stick shifts can lead to less distracted driving, and I believe BETTER overall drivers/ driving awareness....

Edited by Deanh

I mostly use the fogs when it's raining at night. It's amazing what a difference they make on wet roads in the dark.

True. They do work great for fog and drizzle and blowing snow. However I just get anoyed at those in particular with the extra brights. But I guess they dont realize or maybe my eyes are just light sensitive.

I used to flash people driving at dusk (or later) with no lights on but it only works maybe 10% of the time, so I just gave up.

I mean - what are they thinking? Wouldn't it at least prompt you to check your headlights?

That too. Especially since most cars these days have the gauges illuminated all the time now, people have no idea they don't have their lights on.

That too. Especially since most cars these days have the gauges illuminated all the time now, people have no idea they don't have their lights on.

I think any car with gauges that light up without the headlights being on should be required to have automatic headlamps.

In fact I would go so far as to say all cars should have automatic headlamps that are enabled by default when you start the car and you have to manually turn them off if you want them off.

That would be hundreds (thousands?) of times better than DRLs from a safety standpoint. Driving without lights at night is a serious safety hazard to everyone, not just the stupid driver.

I think any car with gauges that light up without the headlights being on should be required to have automatic headlamps.

In fact I would go so far as to say all cars should have automatic headlamps that are enabled by default when you start the car and you have to manually turn them off if you want them off.

That would be hundreds (thousands?) of times better than DRLs from a safety standpoint. Driving without lights at night is a serious safety hazard to everyone, not just the stupid driver.

100% agree.

And like you said, half the time, the person doesn't have a clue why you're flashing your highbeams at them. Some figure it out though.

don't get me started....I cant ride a single mile without witnessing something, that is ticketed, would cost the individual a BOATLOAD. And nice to see the article stated something I stated several times....stick shifts can lead to less distracted driving, and I believe BETTER overall drivers/ driving awareness....

THANK YOU! I've been saying that for a long time

100% agree.

And like you said, half the time, the person doesn't have a clue why you're flashing your highbeams at them. Some figure it out though.

We have a ton of Leafs around here. There is a local Indian community and it seems half of them went out and bought Leafs. The problem (which has nothing to do with the drivers being Indian) is that they won't turn on their lights when they need to (presumably) due to the battery drain. I'd say at least 35% of the cars I see without lights are leafs.

If you really want to know how stupid drivers are, you need to tow something heavy behind you. You know, things that weigh a lot and require more time to stop, more time to speed up, and basically prevents you from making any sudden maneuvers without endangering everyone with 100' of you. Yeah, people are idiots and have no common sense.

I drive a semi...you're preachin' to the choir. I could go on & on about what I see, but I imagine the bandwidth would get dragged down.

Folks: passing a semi on the right is suicide. Understand that a driver pulling a 53' trailer has a difficult time judging where the back is. In the old days; a driver would flash their lights to indicate you could move over safely. That doesn't occur but about 10% of the time now. I wait until I feel I have plenty of room, then I move over. I can't tell you how many times I've had cars jump over in the right lane to pass me even though I've thrown my signal on.

With that being said; I shall address my second complaint: slow drivers, drivers of speed limited trucks & campers automatically getting into the middle lane and staying there. Most states require trucks to be in the right two lanes....typically around $300 for a lane violation. You will get a ticket. I just wished they enforced to "Keep right except to pass" laws as much passion.

If a commercial driver gets caught talking on their phone (with out hands free device) or texting then it's a $2750 fine. If they are talking to their carrier; the carrier gets an $11,000 fine. I think that should apply to auto drivers as well.

Edited by 351cid
  • Like 1

True. They do work great for fog and drizzle and blowing snow. However I just get anoyed at those in particular with the extra brights. But I guess they dont realize or maybe my eyes are just light sensitive.

I think those extremely bright HID's (or whatever they are called; the blue ones) should be outlawed. They kill my eyes. Sometimes, I take the night shift and driving 11 hours with those damn things glaring at you will give you a ,major headache.

Driving without lights at night is a serious safety hazard to everyone, not just the stupid driver.

I'm glad to see the manufacturers are instituting the lights coming on with an activation of the wipers. I've noticed that people that drive silver or gray cars are the ones that don't turn their lights on when it's raining.

I drive a semi...you're preachin' to the choir. I could go on & on about what I see, but I imagine the bandwidth would get dragged down.

Folks: passing a semi on the right is suicide. Understand that a driver pulling a 53' trailer has a difficult time judging where the back is. In the old days; a driver would flash their lights to indicate you could move over safely. That doesn't occur but about 10% of the time now. I wait until I feel I have plenty of room, then I move over. I can't tell you how many times I've had cars jump over in the right lane to pass me even though I've thrown my signal on.

With that being said; I shall address my second complaint: slow drivers, drivers of speed limited trucks & campers automatically getting into the middle lane and staying there. Most states require trucks to be in the right two lanes....typically around $300 for a lane violation. You will get a ticket. I just wished they enforced to "Keep right except to pass" laws as much passion.

If a commercial driver gets caught talking on their phone (with out hands free device) or texting then it's a $2750 fine. If they are talking to their carrier; the carrier gets an $11,000 fine. I think that should apply to auto drivers as well.

Knowing you drive a semi, I thought you might chime in. I try to flash my lights to truckers passing me when they are clear, and I appreciate it when they do the same to me when I've got my fifth wheel behind me.

I think those extremely bright HID's (or whatever they are called; the blue ones) should be outlawed. They kill my eyes. Sometimes, I take the night shift and driving 11 hours with those damn things glaring at you will give you a ,major headache.

Those are just crappy aftermarket lights that serve no purpose other than to look cool (or so they think). True HIDs and now LEDs are much better as they can be designed with better cutoff and don't blind folks as much. The LED lights on the new F150 are awesome!

Edited by fordmantpw

I try to flash my lights to truckers passing me when they are clear, and I appreciate it when they do the same to me when I've got my fifth wheel behind me.

I clear anything that is combination or over 30' in length....and I will thank you by flashing my 4 ways or clearance lights for doing the same :welcome:

• Like 1

I clear anything that is combination or over 30' in length....and I will thank you by flashing my 4 ways or clearance lights for doing the same :welcome:

Just think how safe the roadways would be if everything respected everyone else on the road. Wait, that goes for everything in the world, not just driving.

Unfortunately what will fix it, will also hurt us, who might enjoy the art of driving. As I'm telling a passenger "Looks at this people not using the indicator" tells me 'Oh that one did" i'm like 'Nooooo, that car has a feature, where if you switch lanes you must put the indocator on, or the wheel will vibrate letting them know they are drifting"... So as cars get more advanced, it's the tech that will make them a better driver..ugm, "passenger", more like it.