Cadillac CT6 First Drive

rmc523

Don't think so..

This replace the XTS and unofficially the CTS. With the XTS outselling MKS 2 to 1 what makes you think the Lincoln outsell the Caddy?.

Conti doesn't have anything to do with MKS anymore than CT6 will have with XTS.

Both cars are about resetting the bars and starting over. Once CT6 hit the showroom, XTS will be banished to fleet sale so let's just focus on Conti vs. CT6. Given the lower starting MSRP, I can see Conti selling better than CT6. Although to be fair, CTS will be in lower price range of Conti.

CTS is roughly $45k to $80k

CT6 is roughly $53k to $95k

Conti will likely be $45k to $85k

I'm going to guess Conti will outsell CTS and CT6 individually but Cadillac will probably outsell Lincoln on combined basis.

• Like 2

imho Conti will have a STRONG first 12 months while the CTsix not so much

CT6 is roughly $53k to $95k...

... to maybe $140k for a V

Cadillac CTsix ....... base >+4900> Lux >+3175> PremL >+19875> Platinum

...............loaded: ?????? ..... ?????? .... ?????? ........ 92,120

3.0TT Awd 404hp ...... ------ ..... 64,395 .... 67,570 ........ 87,465

3.6v6 Awd 335hp ...... 55,495 ..... 60,395 .... 63,570 ........ 83,465

2.0-T Rwd 272hp ...... 53,495 ..... 58,395 .... ------ ........ ------

& my best guesses

Continental ........... P > +3290 >> S > +3765 >> R > +7235 >> [bL]

............. loaded: .....? ..... 67500 ...... 79500 ........ 81500

3.0T Awd+ 420hp ..... $52990?.....$56280 ..... $60045 ....... $67280

3.0T Fwd 350hp ...... $49990?.....$53280 ..... $57045 ....... $64280

3.7 Awd 270hp ....... $47990......$51280 ..... $55045 ....... $62280

3.7 Fwd 270hp ....... $45990 .... $49280 ..... $53045 ....... $60280

2.#T F/Awd 250-300hp > export only

Conti doesn't have anything to do with MKS anymore than CT6 will have with XTS.

Both cars are about resetting the bars and starting over. Once CT6 hit the showroom, XTS will be banished to fleet sale so let's just focus on Conti vs. CT6. Given the lower starting MSRP, I can see Conti selling better than CT6. Although to be fair, CTS will be in lower price range of Conti.

CTS is roughly $45k to $80k

CT6 is roughly $53k to $95k

Conti will likely be $45k to $85k

I'm going to guess Conti will outsell CTS and CT6 individually but Cadillac will probably outsell Lincoln on combined basis.

That's a good point - won't XTS still be around for a few years? That alone would take some sales from CT6.

That's a good point - won't XTS still be around for a few years? That alone would take some sales from CT6.

Lincoln has the same with MKT "town car"...

I wouldn't worry about the XTS stealing sales from CT6 that much. They are different things for different people.

CT6 and CTS will definitely cannibalize each other in retail sales. The value proposition of CTS is completely overshadowed by CT6... you have to be a crazy idiot to buy the CTS.

CTS Premium 3.6 RWD = $62,685

CTS Premium 3.6 AWD = $64,685

CT6 Premium 3.6 AWD only = $63,570

Granted CTS will probably be heavily discounted... but the MSRP tells the story of value proposition.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

CT6 and CTS will definitely cannibalize each other in retail sales.

What I like is how, after spending over a decade trying to build brand equity in the CTS, they're not even renaming it and trying to transfer the CTS brand equity (such as it is) over to the CT6.

They're just saying, "You know how you liked the CTS? Yeah, well, it sucks. And by extension, you suck for liking it. Buy this instead."

• Like 1

What I like is how, after spending over a decade trying to build brand equity in the CTS, they're not even renaming it and trying to transfer the CTS brand equity (such as it is) over to the CT6.

They're just saying, "You know how you liked the CTS? Yeah, well, it sucks. And by extension, you suck for liking it. Buy this instead."

I'd be surprised if GM leadership had put that much thought into it.

These changes in direction for Cadillac strike me more as management making things up as it goes along.

• Like 1

^ since the CTsix is not available yet,

wonder if Cadillac will finagle the CTS msrp's between now & then?

It hard to say because Cadillac seem like such a dysfunctional place right now. But any rational brand manager will put some MSRP daylight between two different size cars. So if your strategy now is "tweener" - selling bigger car for a price comparable to competitors' smaller cars, you ought to cut the prices on your own smaller cars so they compete with competitors' even smaller cars instead your own bigger car.

Would Lincoln contemplate selling Continental for the same price as a similar equipped MKZ? If they do, I think the pundits will cry bloody murder and point out how Ford's strategy makes no sense. But this is Cadillac we are talking about and right now, they can't do wrong in the eyes of some industry pundits. Johan is a good PR man if nothing else.

That effort paid off. A lot of folks - consumers and professional automotive reviewers alike - really like the CTS. All three generations of CTS were highly rated, with the current one lauded as one the best cars in its class. How does CT6 negatively affect brand equity of CTS?

Edited by aneekr

That effort paid off. A lot of folks - consumers and professional automotive reviewers alike - really like the CTS. All three generations of CTS were highly rated, with the current one lauded as one the best cars in its class. How does CT6 negatively affect brand equity of CTS?

Because they're throwing away the name and the brand equity so they can have a more German sounding naming scheme.

How does CT6 negatively affect brand equity of CTS?

To add to Akirby's comment.

Not only are they winding down the CTS (no scheduled replacement), they are positioning it alongside a larger and newer vehicle on a newer platform and pricing them right on top of each other. That can't help but make the CTS look bad by comparison.

Edited by RichardJensen

To add to Akirby's comment.

Not only are they winding down the CTS (no scheduled replacement), they are positioning it alongside a larger and newer vehicle on a newer platform and pricing them right on top of each other. That can't help but make the CTS look bad by comparison.

It appears both CTS AND ATS will be replaced by a new "CT4" (basically undoing what they did with this generation of CTS and adding the ATS).

It appears both CTS AND ATS will be replaced by a new "CT4" (basically undoing what they did with this generation of CTS and adding the ATS).

I thought there were plans for a CT2 and a CT4. Replacing ATS and CTS respectively, even though GM refuses to say that for whatever reason.

Again, though they're not saying it, the CT6 is much more a successor to the STS than anything.

I thought there were plans for a CT2 and a CT4. Replacing ATS and CTS respectively, even though GM refuses to say that for whatever reason.

Again, though they're not saying it, the CT6 is much more a successor to the STS than anything.

I dunno, I've heard CT4 would essentially re-merge ATS and CTS, while a smaller-than ATS CT2 will come later.

way to reconnect with your main buyer audience....not.

Edited by jpd80