Car & Driver's 2018 Expedition

I doubt that back is laid over that much, perhaps trying to project the Navigator rear onto the Expedition.

I hadn't noticed how much the back end was laid over on that rendering. I think it would actually look better with less slope. I was happy when Ford changed the front end between F150 and Expy, but I think the front end on the rendering looks great (especially with the fully filled-out wheel wells). Cant's wait to see real photos and see how the gas mileage improves with aluminum and 10-speed tranny.

I think the styling will be more Explorer and less F150 although personally I don't have an issue with the F150 front end. But I agree that the current truck like styling is a deterrent to some female buyers.

I agree. The best selling Expeditions looked like larger Explorers. It would make sense if Ford went back to that strategy.

But, they also looked nearly identical to the F150 at the time.

True, but when the 97 F150 came out, the headlights & grill looked a lot like the mid 90's Explorer as well. So really, the 90's F150, Expedition & Explorer all looked pretty similar.

1999_ford_explorer_4_dr_eddie_bauer_4wd_

1997_ford_f-150_2_dr_xl_standard_cab_lb-

solo9806.1-lg.jpg

• Like 1

True, but when the 97 F150 came out, the headlights & grill looked a lot like the mid 90's Explorer as well. So really, the 90's F150, Expedition & Explorer all looked pretty similar.

Agreed, I was just agreeing with you before you mentioned that. :)

Honestly, I think that generation of F150 was among the best looking...at least the 4x4 models were. I thought the 4x2's were pretty lame looking.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm willing to bet a starbucks coffee that the Expedition in the trailer is actually a Navigator, if the wheels are any indication. They don't look like a Ford type wheel and they have a passing resemblance to the wheels on the Gator concept.

The Rendering they have at the link is garbage when it comes to the green house area from the rear passenger doors back...the mules are heavly cammoed (effectively I might add) so you can't tell the exact shape.

One thing I'm slightly suprised at is that it seems like the Expedition headlights look exactly like the current F-150 lights, even though thats getting a refresh right around the time this comes out?

I'm willing to bet a starbucks coffee that the Expedition in the trailer is actually a Navigator, if the wheels are any indication. They don't look like a Ford type wheel and they have a passing resemblance to the wheels on the Gator concept.

The Rendering they have at the link is garbage when it comes to the green house area from the rear passenger doors back...the mules are heavly cammoed (effectively I might add) so you can't tell the exact shape.

One thing I'm slightly suprised at is that it seems like the Expedition headlights look exactly like the current F-150 lights, even though thats getting a refresh right around the time this comes out?

I think those wheels are current Navigator wheels, which they repurpose for Expy/Navi mules.

Man, this vehicle is taking forever, and we still haven't seen any production prototypes running around yet.

And I'm pretty sure Ford cringes when they see car sites posting their hideous mules as the next-gen product, they certainly wouldn't invite anybody to peek at one through a trailer.

Edited by BORG

Man, this vehicle is taking forever, and we still haven't seen any production prototypes running around yet.

They are out, just at night, have seen them on 94 back and forth toward A2 towing the trailers as well as the MKX with the new Lincoln front end (it's covered in camo)

• Like 1

Expedition there and production spec Navigator at NAIAS?

I would think Navigator in LA, But that is going to depend on when they launch. Detroit will probably get a Focus concept or Bronco concept, NYIAS will probably get the next MKC concept to show where Lincoln design is going. Detroit will probably do some powertrain intros as well electrification etc. I don't think there is much huge stuff planned in terms of new product for the 2018 model year other than some powertrain upgrades (FWD 9speed), Ford launches get busy into 2019MY. But Edge/MKX facelift, new Expedition/Nav, F-150 facelift are the only big intros for MY2018. 2019 MY is where it gets crazy for the next 3 years with new Focus/Escape/Model E/Mustang/Explorer/Aviator/MKC/Bronco/Ranger/Lincoln XXXX/Ford XXXX/Ford XXXX/ Fusion/MKZ/ and maybe 2 more all coming out as new product in the 2019-2021MY time frame.

I would think Navigator in LA, But that is going to depend on when they launch. Detroit will probably get a Focus concept or Bronco concept, NYIAS will probably get the next MKC concept to show where Lincoln design is going. Detroit will probably do some powertrain intros as well electrification etc. I don't think there is much huge stuff planned in terms of new product for the 2018 model year other than some powertrain upgrades (FWD 9speed), Ford launches get busy into 2019MY. But Edge/MKX facelift, new Expedition/Nav, F-150 facelift are the only big intros for MY2018. 2019 MY is where it gets crazy for the next 3 years with new Focus/Escape/Model E/Mustang/Explorer/Aviator/MKC/Bronco/Ranger/Lincoln XXXX/Ford XXXX/Ford XXXX/ Fusion/MKZ/ and maybe 2 more all coming out as new product in the 2019-2021MY time frame.

Mustang is also getting a refresh for MY2018