Aggressive drivers will ‘bully’ self-driving cars because humans are awful

This article is a little silly. It tries to imply that masses of people will be "bullying" autonomous cars. Are there people that will take advantage of them sure but the same people that will cut people driving themselves now. The nice thing is these cars will not be driving 5 mph under the speed limit in the passing lane and refuse to get over. It won't matter that their drivers are staring at there phone or zoned out on some prescription drug. It will take the control out of the hands of the disinterested driver and the "I am the most important person on the road" driver. I only wish it would happen sooner than later. I think the predictions are way overly optimistic. I am 50 and I would hazard a guess that I will be lucky to still be driving at a time when more than 50% of the cars on the road are autonomous. Sadley I think I am stuck with these idiots for a long while.

It will take the control out of the hands of the disinterested driver and the "I am the most important person on the road" driver. I only wish it would happen sooner than later.

The problem is that that it really won't...there is always going to be non-automotious cars on the road. People will be still taking their 2017 GT350 for a spin in 2045 or 2050 if you want to be optimistic about people buying them. Its going to take a really long time...some people still actually enjoy driving...

The problem is that that it really won't...there is always going to be non-automotious cars on the road. People will be still taking their 2017 GT350 for a spin in 2045 or 2050 if you want to be optimistic about people buying them. Its going to take a really long time...some people still actually enjoy driving...

I think you missed my point! The people who are most disinterested and incapable of driving will hopefully be the first to buy autonomous cars making things better for the people who enjoy driving. I agree that it will take a long time and there will be derivable cars along with autonomous for a very long time. In fact I think it is going to be longer than a lot of people think until we see truly autonomous cars on the road.

As an avid road rager raised in Miami, I actually believe that Autonomous vehicles will help improve bad drivers. Just think how many times people don't use turn signals. If the system is programmed where the default speed puts you on the slower lanes, and it gets them off the passing lane, then I'm happy. MY biggest frustration is when people feel just because they are at the speed limit, that it's ok to cruise on the passing lane. Then you have the other idiot on the right lane, going the same speed and traffic is backing up. I just use the emergency lane to pass them, and blare the horn, I guess depending upon how the automous system is programmed, to be more passive, then it wouldn't be an issue and I'm sure manufacturer's understand that.

As an avid road rager raised in Miami, I actually believe that Autonomous vehicles will help improve bad drivers. Just think how many times people don't use turn signals. If the system is programmed where the default speed puts you on the slower lanes, and it gets them off the passing lane, then I'm happy. MY biggest frustration is when people feel just because they are at the speed limit, that it's ok to cruise on the passing lane. Then you have the other idiot on the right lane, going the same speed and traffic is backing up. I just use the emergency lane to pass them, and blare the horn, I guess depending upon how the automous system is programmed, to be more passive, then it wouldn't be an issue and I'm sure manufacturer's understand that.

So THIS!!!!!!!!. It is unbelievable what an epidemic this is. And when you pass theses morons on the right after being stuck for miles of them not being aware of the jam of cars behind them and the empty road ahead and you look at them they are usually staring ahead in some sort of daze. One of the first things I was taught was leave yourself an out and don'rt drive right next to another car. These people seem to do their best to keep pace with the car in the right lane. It has become the most dangerous situation on the road because it causes more tailgating, weaving and cutting people off. People are not being taught to drive properly on top of people not caring about how they do anything or how their actions effect other people. It sucks all of the joy out of driving.

• Like 1

I'm sad to report that this has not improved down here in South Florida/Miami....if anything it's worse. I don't like doing it but I have to weave (safely, of course) in and out of all these idiots that poke along well below the speed limit (or even at it, but creating a wall as you said). I'm too nice to go blaring the horn or flashing high beams at them unless they cut me off....nor have I resorted to the emergency lane passing.

I think much of the problem is that most people are just plain oblivious to what's going on around them....they're just in their own little world doing their thing, not considering what's happening near or behind them....they just poke along at whatever speed they want and think it's fine. Distracted driving is an issue too of course....just this morning there was a guy in a red Beetle poking along in the second to left lane (the highway is 4 or 5 lanes wide) going maybe 50 mph in a 65.....I'm finally able to get past him (around the other slowpokes) and see hes sitting there looking at his phone. I'm not going to pretend to be innocent and say I never do it too, but if you're going to, at least be "good" at it!

just this morning there was a guy in a red Beetle poking along in the second to left lane (the highway is 4 or 5 lanes wide) going maybe 50 mph in a 65.....I'm finally able to get past him (around the other slowpokes) and see hes sitting there looking at his phone.

Looks like "driverless" cars are already here!

• Like 2

Oh and don't forget about when it rains......you'd think nobody had driven a car before. I don't get it.

Especially when the autonomous vehicle will be going exactly the speed limit and not 5+ over like most people do.

What do you mean 5+ over? Driving on Saw Mill Run Blvd in Pittsburgh the other day, I was doing 50 in a 35 zone, and being passed as if I was a slow poke.

So THIS!!!!!!!!. It is unbelievable what an epidemic this is. And when you pass theses morons on the right after being stuck for miles of them not being aware of the jam of cars behind them and the empty road ahead and you look at them they are usually staring ahead in some sort of daze. One of the first things I was taught was leave yourself an out and don'rt drive right next to another car. These people seem to do their best to keep pace with the car in the right lane. It has become the most dangerous situation on the road because it causes more tailgating, weaving and cutting people off. People are not being taught to drive properly on top of people not caring about how they do anything or how their actions effect other people. It sucks all of the joy out of driving.

Lately my frustration has been (since moving to Orlando 10 years ago), I mean...if the person is ON the phone, or texting...OK, that explains their stupidity and lack of focus, but I get even more ticked when they arent...then i'm like "Whats your excuse for driving like an idiot!" I'm shocked at how many do not leave "An exit", and will block themselves automatically. Granted, maybe some times I might not be "entuned' as much, but if I see someone is in a hurry, I make space for them to go around, or move around me I'm surely trying to be considerate, and thats the problem, they are NOT for the most part.

Oh and don't forget about when it rains......you'd think nobody had driven a car before. I don't get it.

Honestly, most of them come from countries where they probably didn't own a vehicle ever, I think that's part of the problem. Notice the "sea" of blinking hazard lights when it rains? Only places I've seen that happen is when I visit Central and South America.

That's why when I see stories (specially in S.FL) that there was a road rage incident, and someone got shot, I get the kick out of the "Oh this poor man, father of 6, church loving (yeah of course), good samaritan, Honor student (every other BS to make them look like a saint) was shot dead at the off-ramp by a drivers experiencing road rage" and I always stop and ask "WHAT did the father of 6 do, to PROVOKE someone to shoot him"....not saying its OK, but SOMETHING caused it where that person snaps.

Like most things in the world, you can be assured that the drivers that take up this technology

probably don't need it to be better drivers and the drivers that should give up driving themselves

probably won't. So the law abiding become even more so while the lawless become more prominent

by knowing that autonomous cars will always brake to let them in and avoid a collision. that's the key here.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Like most things in the world, you can be assured that the drivers that take up this technology

probably don't need it to be better drivers and the drivers that should give up driving themselves

probably won't. So the law abiding become even more so while the lawless become more prominent

by knowing that autonomous cars will always brake to let them in and avoid a collision. that's the key here.

Five years ago I would agree with you. But in a short period of time it seems like the zoned out pokers and drivers more interested in there phones out weigh the aggressive drivers. I think smart phones have been a big part of this. Not that it matters as i don't think we are going to see driverless cars in great numbers for a long time. .