Consumer Reports on Edge/MKX

for adults. If true, then WHY!!!!????? Can't they get the seat height right? Geesh!

complaining about height of rear seat.. sounds like its a good vehicle if that all they can complain about... really, who gives a fuck how low the rear seat is... gooosh, thing isnt out yet and some of you moonbats are already bitching? :shrug:

If you read through the CR's on other car you will find out that plenty have complaints on this ground - seats to loow, too short, too flat, to firm too soft, too beige ...

CR aims for perfection, but every car is a result of compromises - will we make the car 2 inches higher to accommodate the higher seats? will we sacrifica the cargospace, to make the seats still fold flat? etc.

Really - I am not defending Ford on this - every time I read this on Cr about a car I like or am considering, I simply make a mental note - when looking at it, sit in the back seats, to see for yourself .... then I do, and usually have no complaint.... CR is too perfectionists, and it is known about them - and it is one oftheir strengths.

Igor

for adults. If true, then WHY!!!!????? Can't they get the seat height right? Geesh!

You can't just arbitrarily move seat height. Those seats were placed in conjunction with side impact protection to optimize safety, not to mention headroom and possibly leg room.

If consumers are OK with it, then Consumer Reports can :kissass:

CR has been proven to have a Japanese bias.

Why else does the Tribute do better than the Escape and the Matrix better than the Vibe.

Take a Toyota. Any Toyota with the exact same seat dimensions and CR will proclaim them the best seats they ever sat in.

CR is full of bias as they cater to their subscribers (Toyota/Honda owners)

I don't trust Consumer Reports for anything anymore. I've seen their reviews become more and more worthless over the past 10 years. They still claim "independance" from marketing money. I guess I don't care anymore.

For example, their last review of cell phones rated a Motorola as "excellant". I bought one. Me and a few others I know have had nothing but problems with the model.

Same with cars. They aren't happy unless they nitpick it to death. They may be independant from marketing money, bu they sure aren' free of bias.

I'll review the Edge myself. Hey, I just might buy a copy of this CR, take a picture of me and the family in front of the Edge and give them the finger.

who gives a fuck how low the rear seat is...

Another dumb comment by the blind fanboys................Now i haven't been in the edge so i won't criticize it, infact everything i've seen about it looks great. But your comment is just assinine, the edge only has 2 rows of seats, of course is matters if the seat is too low. We aren't talking about a third here we are talking about a second row.

Another dumb comment by the blind fanboys................Now i haven't been in the edge so i won't criticize it, infact everything i've seen about it looks great. But your comment is just assinine, the edge only has 2 rows of seats, of course is matters if the seat is too low. We aren't talking about a third here we are talking about a second row.

my comment is far from assinie, i remember your name, your another of the half dozen moonbats we have on this site so i could care less what you say... comment was more towards the person bitching about a magazine stating seat was too low, and whining about it before its released...

My question is "Too low? Compared to what??" If they are expecting a seat height of an SUV, truck, or minivan for that matter, they aren't going to get it. It's a car platform.

Considering the whole CUV segement is a new and growing one, I still say their argument doesn't hold any value.

I first posted the same comment about the Edge/MKX back in April after checking them out at the New York Auto Show.

The rear seat is uncomfortable for adults and here is the reason why. The Edge/MKX has a feature that allows you to fold down the rear seats from the rear hatch. There are two buttons on the rear quarter trim panel. The rear seat back is divided 60/40. By pushing these buttons, the seatbacks fold down creating a flat load floor. This is a nice feature in and of itself. But in order to create a flat load floor with the push of a button, they had to place the bottom seat cushion low to the floor. If the cushions were higher, the seat backs would stick up and would not lay flat. The rear seat is not uncomfortable if you’re short. If you’re tall, you’ll be uncomfortable as I was when I sat in the back.

The back seat is more comfortable in the Escape/Mariner because the rear seat bottom is higher. In order to get a flat load floor in them you must fold the bottoms up against the front seats and then fold the seat back down. This process has more steps and takes more time but you have both a comfortable back seat and a flat load floor when the back seat is folded down.

The rear seat comfort in the Edge/MKX was compromised in order to give them a pushbutton folding rear seat. Not a good compromise in my opinion. I would have preferred the Escape/Mariner method.

my comment is far from assinie, i remember your name, your another of the half dozen moonbats we have on this site so i could care less what you say... comment was more towards the person bitching about a magazine stating seat was too low, and whining about it before its released...

PLerase, you can save your bullshit for someone else. Your comment was dumb, I think everyone who has an open mind(i.e. not fanboys) would agree. About everyone buying the edge would care if it only had 2 suitable seats for adults. I don'tk now if it does or if it doesn't. The edge lacks a 3rd row, so if the 2nd row is only suitable for children that would be just alright for you huh? Because its ford.

Then Ford will just have to fix it the next go 'round.

Ford has 150k units of capacity for this and the MKX. I don't think they're going to have any trouble selling those units.

I'm suprised ford is predicting so low sale numbers............I think if they had more capacity it could easily reach 200k - 250k a year, it seems perfect(well until this sea thing)

I suppose its good because now ford can get a positive buzz if it sells out, they can sell them with higher transaction prices and they will hold their resale value better.

I'm suprised ford is predicting so low sale numbers............I think if they had more capacity it could easily reach 200k - 250k a year, it seems perfect(well until this sea thing)

Better to sell 150 at a profit than 250 at a loss with heavy incentives

PLerase, you can save your bullshit for someone else. Your comment was dumb, I think everyone who has an open mind(i.e. not fanboys) would agree. About everyone buying the edge would care if it only had 2 suitable seats for adults. I don'tk now if it does or if it doesn't. The edge lacks a 3rd row, so if the 2nd row is only suitable for children that would be just alright for you huh? Because its ford.

I suppose its good because now ford can get a positive buzz if it sells out, they can sell them with higher transaction prices and they will hold their resale value better.

whatever, you just a stupid moonbat..

and 200k? wtf you think this thing is? a camry? lol.. wow.

Question for anyone who has seen the Edge - does the rear seat bottom cushion "submarine" or is it fixed in position?

I know in the Mazda6 hatch & wagon, the rear seat bottom "submarines" lower when the seat back is folded. This allows the seat bottom to be at a comfortable height when the seat is up and allows the seat back to fold low enough to have a flat load floor. I'd assume the hinge is expensive (vs. a fixed design) to design & manufacture, but I'd consider it to be a "must have" in a mid-market crossover.

Scott

Has anyone sat in a Nissan Pathfinder? I did and the back seats are tiny to the point of useless, yet I never remember any CR article mentioning that... (but I could be wrong). All midsize SUV's have to compromise to meet folding requirements.

The Nissan Pathfinder has 3 rows of seats, the Edge only has 2.

CR provides data and information to not only consumers, but to companies too about the product. But it does appear that a large group of people agree with or at least follow what they recommend. How can professional testers and consumers be wrong? lol...

Even if CR is wrong with their assessments, it really only matters what the consumer thinks. As such, please review paragraph one.

Regardless if it is fair or right, CR's data should be reviewed and considered by companies.

Sony's 8mm recorder was much better than VHS, but we all know who won out.